FANDOM

• Was just thinking, there really should be global Achievements.. Such as 'Have a fandom account for over one year', 'Make your first edit on an article' etc etc..

Loading editor
    • One year? Many have been here for 10.

Achievements is no lnger being developed.

Loading editor
    • I was using the 'one year' achievement as an example.

Loading editor
    • What would the purpose of global achievements be? I don't see why one wiki would care that you made an edit on some other wiki.

Loading editor
    • By global Achievements, I mean fandom achievements. Not an achievement for a specific wiki.

Loading editor
    • Interesting suggestion. Where and how would such Achievements be placed?

Loading editor
    • I would like to win the lottery, but the likelihood of either is low.

Loading editor
    • BlauesWasser wrote: By global Achievements, I mean fandom achievements. Not an achievement for a specific wiki.

I get that, but if you have an achievement like "made your first edit", it has to be done on some specific wiki. There is no generic umbrella wiki tied to all FANDOM wikis. So for something like that, why would users on say, the Sponge Bob Wiki care that you edited the Grand Theft Auto Wiki? I don't know. Maybe I am getting too caught-up in the details of your examples.

Loading editor
    • Dial it back a bit, guys. Let's not squash a user's idea without giving them a chance to try and express what they have in mind.

Blause, where and how would you see such achievements displayed? As pointed out, achievements are generally tied to and displayed on specific wikis. Using the same mechanism for "FANDOM Achievements" would require a wiki which represents all of FANDOM. At this time the only wiki that describes is this one, Community Central, and achievements here have long been disabled as a disruptive "attractive nuisance".

So, as you first made the suggestion, even now that you've had time to reflect on it further, how would *you* implement it if you had the authority to do so?

Not trying to put you down, seriously trying to narrow the brainstorming to the core concept.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

BlauesWasser wrote: By global Achievements, I mean fandom achievements. Not an achievement for a specific wiki.

I get that, but if you have an achievement like "made your first edit", it has to be done on some specific wiki. There is no generic umbrella wiki tied to all FANDOM wikis. So for something like that, why would users on say, the Sponge Bob Wiki care that you edited the Grand Theft Auto Wiki? I don't know. Maybe I am getting too caught-up in the details of your examples.

Not quite that. I mean that the fandom/global Achievements are a separate set from the achievements on a specific wiki.

Loading editor
    • The only other element which carries across all of FANDOM is the Masthead. I suppose a few *small* icons *could* be designed for certain milestones. Like, say, 10K Global Edits, 100K Global Edits, etc.

The main issue *against* such achievement recognition is the same thing which is causing many wikias to *not* enable local achievements: Badge Hunters. Those who will do 10 small edits instead of one significant session just to earn the award.

It's part of the reason why Central disabled them.

Loading editor
    • I see

Loading editor
    • Yeah. The wiki I admin right now had an issue with a previous admin who did that. The thing is I don't think any of the other admins at the time caught on to what he was doing. To this day, he still enjoys a healthy lead on the Achievements leaderboard. It isn't that he actually contributed more content. Instead, what most of use would do as 1 to 3 edits, he would break into like 27 edits or something ridiculous like that.

Loading editor
    • Another reason not to add the Achievements feature to a wiki is that it is a deprecated feature, so may stop working or develop bugs all of a sudden with almost no hope of a fix. A previous deprecated feature, Wikia Maps, went down this road and was eventually just removed with no viable replacement.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Yeah. The wiki I admin right now had an issue with a previous admin who did that. The thing is I don't think any of the other admins at the time caught on to what he was doing. To this day, he still enjoys a healthy lead on the Achievements leaderboard. It isn't that he actually contributed more content. Instead, what most of use would do as 1 to 3 edits, he would break into like 27 edits or something ridiculous like that.

I've nothing to add, except that's such a pet peeve of mine!

I have the same issue on a wiki I'm on; one person raked up thousands of edits, but almost all of their edits are tiny little things . . . tweaking a punctuation mark, adding stuff like "x unknown" in stats, rewording phrases like 'black cat' into 'cat that is black' . . . despite some issues that have gone on since, they'll forever be top of the edits counts, as no one can come close, which means they're the first name that people see when searching users by edits. 

It's a vanity thing, but far from useful for anyone else in the community, and - best part - that wiki didn't even have badges . . . I dread to think how much worse it'd have been with badges. Even now, on a different wiki they're on, most edits are removing links or adding odd words or other extremely minor things, so I can very much see global badges being abused. 

Loading editor
    • I knew someone (not an admin, luckily) that would "accidentally" misspell categories and then fix them, to get a double tick on the category track. It was pretty obvious.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.