FANDOM

• I tried searching through Fandom and Google, but came up with nothing ^_^()

Are there any Fandom-wide rules on stubs?

Example, I've seen some wikias put out rules on a local level forbidding stubs, place-holder articles, etc., but equally have seen global staff outright say that stubs can be useful and it's preferable they remain in hopes of encouraging people to contribute. Is it thus okay for local staff to forbid stubs? Like, is it an actual global rule of "allow stubs" or more of a preference like "please consider allowing stubs"? 

Loading editor
    • There are no rules regarding stubs. Stubs are basically just incomplete pages or pages that could use more content, but there is no limit on what is a stub and what isn't.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2 wrote:
      There are no rules regarding stubs. Stubs are basically just incomplete pages or pages that could use more content, but there is no limit on what is a stub and what isn't.

Thank you. That's helpful :)

I just wanted to make sure any local rules on disallowing stubs weren't breaking global site rules, which - by the sounds of it - they aren't. It's useful to know :) 

Loading editor
    • Yes, there are no rules against stubs. I suppose the local staff are just trying to make sure the wiki is the best encyclopedic resource for that topic.

Loading editor
    • Rules on stubs can very wildly from wiki to wiki.

Here are the guidelines I use for stubs and reasons why:

• Put page stubs at the top of the page.
        • If you put it at the top of the page, it will be obvious, since pages load always showing the top of the page unless you jump to an anchor lower. You may think it is a good idea to put the stub a the bottom to look like it will encourage people to "continue" adding on the page, but since many pages might have a last heading like "external links" it doesn't make sense for the stub to come after that.
      • Make and use section stubs.
        • Many pages have multiple sections with some that are filled out and some that aren't. If you only use a page stub at the top, you can't really show what areas need work the most.
        • If you have section stubs, you can remove more top of page stubs if most of the important sections are filled in.
      • Make and use topic specific stubs.
        • Especially for games that have some external database site, it is nice to have stubs that are specific to the article topic like character, item, location, etc. That way, you can put a topic specific link to a database site to get reference info.
      • Make sure your stubs are subtle, but still stand out.
        • A stub that shouts at you is annoying, but it should still make people take notice. The best stubs semi-blend into the background, but make it clear the area needs work.

That's what I can think of for now.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.