FANDOM

• I made an image for my background, but it is tiny, and doesn't fit. How do I make it fit without using GIMP or photoshop? What size do I make it?

Loading editor
    • You need to explain what you mean by "make it fit". Did you read Help:Background?

Loading editor
    • about 1920x1080 i think

Loading editor
    • Help:Background didn't have a height, thanks.

Loading editor
    • You're right... not a very good help page. I would recommend 1200px.

Loading editor
    • OrtonLongGaming wrote:
      Help:Background didn't have a height, thanks.

The Height is mentioned as it is in Pixels

Loading editor
    • The Help:Background page doesn't mention "height" or "tall" or "vertical". Did I miss something?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      The Help:Background page doesn't mention "height" or "tall" or "vertical". Did I miss something?

It got into depth about pixal scaling as while the width has been mentioned, the height is still mentioned elsewhere. Specifically the Help:Theme Designer as you need to know the basics of how to edit a image including how to adjust the size of the image. This also applies to reducing the size of the image or increasing the size of the image.

In this case, only the width has been mentioned which is true in the background page, but the height is scaled to the width IIRC as this is the general basic info on how to change the size of a image.

Loading editor
    • You must just be assuming height is mentioned, but it isn't. The Help:Theme Designer page doesn't mention "height" or "tall" or "vertical" either.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      You must just be assuming height is mentioned, but it isn't. The Help:Theme Designer page doesn't mention "height" or "tall" or "vertical" either.

Let me put it in another way that is simple and easy to understand.

900x1200 is the combination of Height x Width in pixels, which is something the help page has listed.

To get a more throughly understanding of this, you need to know pixel dimensions as mentioned in this link I will post to you: https://www.iprintfromhome.com/mso/understandingdpi.pdf

Loading editor
    • What help page mentions 900x1200?

Sigh, you don't seem to be looking at the help pages linked or won't give a link to the help pages you are looking at, so I guess I'll just stop.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      What help page mentions 900x1200?

Sigh, you don't seem to be looking at the help pages linked or won't give a link to the help pages you are looking at, so I guess I'll just stop.

It seems you don't understand I was using 900x1200 as an example.

In any case, it seems you having a hard time understanding the point I making is that Height is mentioned in the form of the Height x Width in pixel dimensions which  not everyone is aware of that term.

Will remain neutral for now.

Loading editor
    • I feel like the height doesn't matter, as it just loops when the height runs out anyways. I also realised you can fix the image inplace, which means the height carrys on.

Loading editor
    • I've actually made a bunch of backgrounds and height does matter and no the help pages don't talk about it.

There is a setting that will make background "tile" which causes it to repeat, but that can be disabled.

You can't pick any height because if the graphic is too tall, it won't compress to a small enough size to be usable. If the height is too short your background will look cut off.

You can see an example of a background I made at the Gotham wiki: https://gotham.fandom.com/wiki/File:Wiki-background

You can listen to the BS of other users, but ask them to show you a background they made so they can prove they know what they're talking about.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

In all seriousness, you really need to take a read at the theme design as they literally describe the height x width in pixels.

“The header graphic appears on all pages of your wiki where the navigation is located. For the header graphic, the same limits apply as for the backgound (.jpg, .gif, .png, maximum of 300 kilobytes). For optimal display, we recommend a file with the size of 471px x 115px. By default, it fades out to the middle of the page - keep that in mind when selecting an image!”

This is mentioned in Theme Designer page.

Please don’t try to BS your way out of this without understanding on how this works

Loading editor
    • ^*theme design page

Loading editor
    • Well this kinda escalated further than needed. My apologies for any misunderstandings here, but it look like this thread has been resolved for the topic it originally go for.

Loading editor
    • "The header graphic..."

Not the background.

Also, please show us some backgrounds you made, if you're such an expert.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      :"The header graphic..."

Not the background.

Also, please show us some backgrounds you made, if you're such an expert.

Isn't the background is pretty much a image you can change the resolution with? If we talking about PC Background Pic which is by default of the original width x height of that image.

Loading editor
    • Sure you can change it, but the help pages don't give you any ideas what to set your background height to... and no it isn't just a PC background pic, because those usually have standard sizes based on standard monitor sizes. At least on FANDOM, wiki backgrounds need to work well with a resizable browser window and FANDOM actually split backgrounds in the middle (imagine a vertical cut down the middle) when the browser window gets wider than the background.

I'm not sure OrtonLongGaming has lost interest by now, but HammerStrikes219, you've done a great job of muddying the waters without giving much useful info or anything based on experience with FANDOM wiki backgrounds.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Sure you can change it, but the help pages don't give you any ideas what to set your background height to... and no it isn't just a PC background pic, because those usually have standard sizes based on standard monitor sizes. At least on FANDOM, wiki backgrounds need to work well with a resizable browser window and FANDOM actually split backgrounds in the middle (imagine a vertical cut down the middle) when the browser window gets wider than the background.

I'm not sure OrtonLongGaming has lost interest by now, but HammerStrikes219, you've done a great job of muddying the waters without giving much useful info or anything based on experience with FANDOM wiki backgrounds.

That is like the kettle calling the pot black though as this is like going in circles.

Same points being repeated without being realized and quite frankly you did admit on certain things.

This in turn means you and I have a argument over essentially nothing more than a argument over guidelines being used in those help pages.

You also argue that help page is lacking well defined explanation regarding the height of a image which is literally what started this argument between you and I that basically amounts to nothing more than small technical details that has little to nothing to do with the original topic.

Which in turn deviate this topic due to this argument you seemingly persist on based on that part alone.

Loading editor
    • Don't worry, I'm not replying anymore until OrtonLongGaming says something.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.