FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for August 7, 2019:

• NEW FEATURE: We recently added @mention support to Discussions!
      • This allows you to ping specific users in Discussions posts by writing their @username in the post.
      • Please note: usernames on Fandom are case-sensitive.
    • NEW FEATURE: We will be adding cross-wiki search as an option on Special:Search!
      Loading editor
    • Are there any limitations to @mention? Like could I @ someone who has never even posted on a given Wiki before, or could I block someone from @ing me (so long as they aren’t Moderators)?

Loading editor
    • From what I can see, you are able to ping any user on Fandom regardless if they've contributed to a particular wiki or not.

I don't know the answer to your second question though.

Loading editor
    • Ursuul, I doubt those features exist.

Otherwise, Discussions is starting to get good.

Unfortunately, non-cross-wiki search is so bad, a cross-wiki version might just lead to confusion.

Loading editor
    • Both great updates! Will admins/mods be able to revoke the pinging ability from users?

Loading editor
    • There are relatively few limitations at the moment, but we'll be monitoring feedback closely in case changes are needed.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I find in wiki search worse than this new cross wiki search -.-; (this could what take my traffic?) I think it is because how I name my articles in my wiki but still I should be able to find my articles on my wiki if 1-3 of the words match.

Search Fail CICC

Top Left "My Wiki" search but with no results. Bottom Left the article on my Wiki. Top Right "All Wiki's" search with multiple results. Bottom Left Google search (on page 7 but still there).

Loading editor
    • We're still working on improvements to the search service, and we're currently re-indexing a lot of content which should help expand the range of articles that local searches pick up.

Loading editor
    • If cross-wiki search works well, it will contribute to more traffic among wikis, not less. The "works well" part is the tricky thing.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: If cross-wiki search works well, it will contribute to more traffic among wikis, not less. The "works well" part is the tricky thing.

But only if my content can be populated on other wikis, if it doesn't I won't. Lemme try searching same page but on another wiki see if I show up.

Loading editor
    • Yeah I don't show up, I'll be providing traffic to other wiki's but not to me.

Loading editor
    • Kurkbirn wrote: We are working on it. I'm Kirkburn by the way.

That is great, do you know how hard it is to search a 3k+ page wiki for an article when search doesn't work XD

Also side note, thank you so much for your help (I already thanked the other staff that finished up with me) with the wiki merging.

Loading editor
    • The cross-wiki search index is likely very incomplete at this point. Try again next week.

Loading editor
    • While a cross-wiki search is a good feature, it would be nice if the basic search were improved first. This is something others comments have sort of danced around but I figured I would just say it directly. Also, are there any plans to improve the search capabilities of api.php? Just curious.

Loading editor
    • I can't speak for api.php - but yes, I can confirm that we have been actively working on Special:Search results improvements.

Loading editor
    • @twitter?

Loading editor
    • No.

Loading editor
    • Search is STILL broken, and not showing all results I know there should be. I've reported this several times now and it's been a month.

Sorry if I'm sounding impatient, although it's kinda because I am.

Loading editor
    • I believing re-indexing for the search engine may still be ongoing - I'll check with the team.

Loading editor
    • CrashBash wrote:

Search is STILL broken, and not showing all results I know there should be. I've reported this several times now and it's been a month.

Sorry if I'm sounding impatient, although it's kinda because I am.

It helps to give examples, otherwise I would guess you're complaining about a rather small or obscure wiki. Remember FANDOM has tens of thousands of wikis, so it will take a very long time to re-index them all... it could even take months.

Loading editor
    • My wiki seems to have improved search wise, so must be making some progress.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2
      Mendes2 removed this reply because:
      Offtopic
      13:43, August 16, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • The team have confirmed that the re-indexing is ongoing, but we estimate it may be done by the end of Monday next week.

Loading editor
    • So less than 2 months? That's faster than I would have expected.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.