FANDOM


  • Sannse
    Sannse closed this thread because:
    The necessary has been said, too much misinformation
    15:37, August 12, 2019

    Gojipedia has alot of children there and iirc you need to be 13 to have a fandom account.

      Loading editor
    • Yes, anyone under 13 is not supposed to be there. However, in Europe it’s 16 and older.

        Loading editor
    • “Europe” in this context means the EEA, not the EU.

      See the Terms of Use. You are under no obligation to report anyone, but if you do, send evidence to Special:Contact.

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • What to pick?

        Loading editor
    • Just pick whatever seems most appropriate and just click "Submit a request".

        Loading editor
    • The general minimum age for joining most social media sites is 13

        Loading editor
    • Here is a specific link to the new Zendesk submission form ("I don't see an option for my issue") that should work for reporting underage users: https://fandom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000956114

        Loading editor
    • Actually, you CAN have an Wikia account if you are under 13. just DON'T reveal your real age under any circumstances til u become 13

        Loading editor
    • Isn’t that cheating

        Loading editor
    • Even though I haven't created my wikia account til 2018 when I became 13, it was my sister's idea to bypass the limit by her creating the account in 2015 when she was only 11.

        Loading editor
    • Btw am I the only fandom user whose name contains sockpuppet

        Loading editor
    • Completely irrevelant because this thread is about age requirement for an wikia account not about usernames.

        Loading editor
    • Sombrero2 wrote:

      Actually, you CAN have an Wikia account if you are under 13. just DON'T reveal your real age under any circumstances til u become 13

      I don't think you understand. There is nothing that prevents someone under 13 or 16 from creating an account. It's just that if you are caught, FANDOM can close your account and refer to the Terms of Use as a reason. These age restrictions are only in the Terms of Use based on regional laws. I believe if you do not reside in the US, EEA (European Economic Area), or other country with age restriction laws, FANDOM doesn't care what age you are.

        Loading editor
    • So an infant can join

        Loading editor
    • The US ain't the only country which has a 13+ restriction for having an internet account. I reside in Canada and there is also an act that prevents people below teen to have an acount. So yeah, I think that any age restriction for having an internet account is global.

        Loading editor
    • Y'know I was typing my last reply about how US & EEA aren't only regions with age restrictions while you posted the one I quoted:

      Edwin sockpuppet wrote:
      So an infant can join
        Loading editor
    • US, EEA, and Canada doesn't encompass the whole world... so your jump to global seems unfounded.

        Loading editor
    • I know that. I am just saying Canada as an EXAMPLE since I live there and it has age restriction acts.

        Loading editor
    • Then don't say things like: "So yeah, I think that any age restriction for having an internet account is global."

        Loading editor
    • what do you mean I shouldn't say it? Are you the only one confused by my words? because I don't like how others understand me but you dont

        Loading editor
    • The way I understand COPPA is that, as an American company, they are not allowed to collect personal information from people they know to be under 13, regardless of their origin. And you're right, if you never tell anyone you can get away with it. Solliciting personal nformation from minors is also not allowed, so you can't straight up ask people how old they are.

        Loading editor
    • I think you are right. When you create an account you usually leave a digital footprint with information like your IP address, and people beneath teen are too young to have their personal information taken, so that's why. Though I would also add that there is no doubt that you may encounter bad words on social media from older people that young people aren't supposed 2 know

        Loading editor
    • My reasoning is based on what Wikipedia says about COPPA: "The act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information by persons or entities under U.S. jurisdiction about children under 13 years of age."

      As I understand it, U.S. jurisdiction would only apply to children who live in the U.S. or one of the territories under its control.

        Loading editor
    • hat was the point of that? Because I know it only applies to the US but here in Canada we have a different act that's under Canadian jurisdiction.

        Loading editor
    • it doesn't matter where you live, as Fandom is a US company they have to follow COPPA.

        Loading editor
    • Good point, but then why do European Economic Area restrictions take effect?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe due to how its either a higher age, or because its a "do it or you're not allowed here" thing? (idk I'm just guessing on this b/c I'm not a lawyer lol), but GDPR affects more than just the EU iirc, so it could be the same thing here too

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 was saying he thought COPPA applied regardless of the origin of the child. Since COPPA is an American law and FANDOM is an American company, you might think that. However, COPPA isn't that broad.

      Either way, Canada's laws only apply to Canadians and likely since the age restriction is similar, FANDOM just throws Canada in with the US, but if you're from let's say Brazil... neither the laws in US, Canada, or the EEA apply to you.

      I'm glad you're trying to be helpful, Sombrero2, but you really need to think a bit more before you reply. Most of your replies sound like you didn't really read what was written before you.

        Loading editor
    • Um... I am 12 and will turn 13 in a few months. Does that mean I should stop posting on fandom till my next birthday?

        Loading editor
    • GDPR is into effect because data is collected from European users. GDPR is applied to all information that is processed in the EEA and all data that is collected from the EEA. COPPA is applied for the entire company because US/international data is processed in the US.

        Loading editor
    • lol!!! IP address user, congratulations on proving yourself ready for your account to be disabled! As I stated earlier, since you arestill under 13 you MUST NOT reveal your real age under any circumstances, but since you did, I'll bet that your acount will be disabled permanently instead of a block till your 13th birthday. You shouldve thought twice before revealing your age. SILLY GOOSE

        Loading editor
    • Ahh, yeah I guess you're right. The FTC COPPA FAQ has one little sentence: "As a related matter, U.S.-based sites and services that collect information from foreign children also are subject to COPPA."

      It's a bit vague, but probably means what you said. The Wikipedia page is misleading.

        Loading editor
    • Did you read the page on Wikipedia before the one here on Wikia?

        Loading editor
    • I think you do. (the restriction may be enhanced in other countries)

        Loading editor
    • I think if an underage fandom user announced his/her age on fandom, his/her account should be blocked (not disabled) across fandom network. So if you announce that you are twelve, then you should be blocked for one year across the network. Is this fair?

        Loading editor
    • Or at least a couple months if your 13th birthday isn't one year away.

      Cuz on Wikia they ask you for your 13th birthday if you reveal that you hadn't had your 13th birthday yet so you don't have to be blocked even after your 13th birthday.

        Loading editor
    • To clarify:

      If you are under 13 you cannot use Fandom, with an account or not. That's in our Terms of Use and applies to everyone, from all countries, logged in or out.

      If you are under 16 and your country is part of the EEU you also can't use the site, logged in or out.

      No user is obliged to report those under 16/13, the law is about Fandom (who must act if someone says they are underage) not users.

      Accounts of underage users are disabled, not just blocked. This means they cannot recover their accounts once they are of age, they have to make a new one.

      Let me know if you have any other questions about this (other than "I'm 12, does it apply to me?" - because yes, it does)

        Loading editor
    • Thx 4 ur correction:

      Sannse wrote: To clarify:

      If you are under 13 you cannot use Fandom, with an account or not. That's in our Terms of Use and applies to everyone, from all countries, logged in or out.

      If you are under 16 and your country is part of the EEU you also can't use the site, logged in or out.

      No user is obliged to report those under 16/13, the law is about Fandom (who must act if someone says they are underage) not users.

      Accounts of underage users are disabled, not just blocked. This means they cannot recover their accounts once they are of age, they have to make a new one.

      Let me know if you have any other questions about this (other than "I'm 12, does it apply to me?" - because yes, it does)

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: My reasoning is based on what Wikipedia says about COPPA: "The act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information by persons or entities under U.S. jurisdiction about children under 13 years of age."

      As I understand it, U.S. jurisdiction would only apply to children who live in the U.S. or one of the territories under its control.

      The sentence structure in that quote makes it pretty clear. The "under U.S. jurisdiction" is clearly describing the "persons or entities" collecting the information, not the children they are collecting it about.

        Loading editor
    • Why are we quoting 'rong nfo from Wikipedia>

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote: My reasoning is based on what Wikipedia says about COPPA: "The act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information by persons or entities under U.S. jurisdiction about children under 13 years of age."

      As I understand it, U.S. jurisdiction would only apply to children who live in the U.S. or one of the territories under its control.

      The sentence structure in that quote makes it pretty clear. The "under U.S. jurisdiction" is clearly describing the "persons or entities" collecting the information, not the children they are collecting it about.

      Yep. You should've bolded the by part more than anything.

        Loading editor
    • Wow! This is the longest discussion I’ve ever seen

        Loading editor
    • It was fandyllic who bolded it in the first place because he was quoting from wikipedia, so are you talking to andrewds or fandyllic?

        Loading editor
    • Edwin sockpuppet wrote: Wow! This is the longest discussion I’ve ever seen

      lol

        Loading editor
    • Sannse wrote:
      To clarify:

      If you are under 13 you cannot use Fandom, with an account or not. That's in our Terms of Use and applies to everyone, from all countries, logged in or out.

      If you are under 16 and your country is part of the EEU you also can't use the site, logged in or out.

      No user is obliged to report those under 16/13, the law is about Fandom (who must act if someone says they are underage) not users.

      Accounts of underage users are disabled, not just blocked. This means they cannot recover their accounts once they are of age, they have to make a new one.

      Let me know if you have any other questions about this (other than "I'm 12, does it apply to me?" - because yes, it does)

      Wait wha t? I've been using fandom without an account when I was younger does that mean I shouldn't have?

        Loading editor
    • I thought underage users were allowed to make edits while logged out. Or is my memory messing with me on what I remember reading / being told?

        Loading editor
    • I don't think you can make edits while logged out.

        Loading editor
    • You can on wikis that don't have anonymous editing disabled.

        Loading editor
    • Well yeah I guess. But most you cant.

        Loading editor
    • Who's to say that more wikis have it disabled than not?

        Loading editor
    • A wiki i'm on doesn't have anonymous editing disabled. But again, fandom is almost similar to facebook so they have to comply with the COPPA.

        Loading editor
    • FlambergePilot wrote:
      A wiki i'm on doesn't have anonymous editing disabled. But again, fandom is almost similar to facebook so they have to comply with the COPPA.

      Fandom being similar to Facebook is not a good comparsion since Fandom has their own Terms of Use

        Loading editor
    • But what i meant by that was if sites collect information they have to comply to the COPPA. So even if both have their own terms of use then COPPA would still comply to the site and so any site collecting information can't allow anyone under 13 from doing so and therefore they often have age requirements.

        Loading editor
    • FlambergePilot wrote:
      But what i meant by that was if sites collect information they have to comply to the COPPA. So even if both have their own terms of use then COPPA would still comply to the site and so any site collecting information can't allow anyone under 13 from doing so and therefore they often have age requirements.

      Not necessarily as I don't recall many sites enforcing the COPPA that strictly. Only Fandom so far, but there are certain loopholes that could bypass this regulation in a theoretical scenario.

        Loading editor
    • I see now.

        Loading editor
    • I heard if you are under 13 you can't edit, or even simply read articles.

        Loading editor
    • Hornets1200 wrote:
      I heard if you are under 13 you can't edit, or even simply read articles.

      This is because they collect information. That's why.

        Loading editor
    • Hornets1200 wrote: I heard if you are under 13 you can't edit, or even simply read articles.

      You can still view if you're under 13, but you can't edit, logged in or out.

        Loading editor
    • Hornets1200 wrote:
      I heard if you are under 13 you can't edit, or even simply read articles.

      If you don't have a registered account or make a account with Fandom via the sign up form, then you can not edit, change, or even log in or out as a result of not making a account on the Fandom site or any local wikia site for that matter.

        Loading editor
    • Well, thanks for correcting this. I heard someone say this at a wiki I'm administrator on. I guess I was mislead.

        Loading editor
    • To both clarify Sannse's post and repeat Sophie's…

      "Use wiki" means editing, contributing, chatting, and any sort of socializing. For that you NEED an account *of your own* (no sharing accounts), and that has minimum age restrictions as discussed above.

      This is NOT THE SAME as "Visiting" and or "Reading" any wiki. Need to look up something? Learn something? Research something? You don't need any account to do that no matter what your age.

        Loading editor
    • Hornets1200 wrote: I heard if you are under 13 you can't edit, or even simply read articles.

      If you are under 13 you can still visit their website & read articles/blog posts. You just can’t edit.

        Loading editor
    • That's what I was thinking. I am an administrator at Mariotube Yoshichannel Wikia and I knew to myself you can still read articles but not edit or other things.

        Loading editor
    • To clarify again:

      If you are logged out, you still have to be over 13 to edit or take any other action on the wiki. However, you can read at any age.

      Some wikis do not allow any edits etc. from logged out users. This is usually a preference, but wikis aimed at children (who, remember, can always read) have to be logged in editing only.

      Yes, if you edited logged out when under 13, you broke the ToU, however, if you are now over 13, we won't take any action on that.

        Loading editor
    • Good to know

        Loading editor
    • Sannse wrote: To clarify again:

      If you are logged out, you still have to be over 13 to edit or take any other action on the wiki. However, you can read at any age.

      Some wikis do not allow any edits etc. from logged out users. This is usually a preference, but wikis aimed at children (who, remember, can always read) have to be logged in editing only.

      Yes, if you edited logged out when under 13, you broke the ToU, however, if you are now over 13, we won't take any action on that.

      Oh thanks. The part where you still need to be 13 while logged out to edit must have slipped out of my mind. And now that you and others have mentioned it, I think I do remember hearing about an IP user that was temporarily blocked simply for being underage.

        Loading editor
    • And just to be clear, Wikia still takes action even if the underage user is using an anon account. What matters is not whether or not it is an anon or registered account but the supposed age of the user. If an anon claims to be under 13, the IP and its contributions are treated in a similar manner to how a registered account would be; at least from the perspective of the end user. I am sure there is a significant difference in how it is dealt with behind the scenes.

        Loading editor
    • No one can really believe their age. They could lie and say they are older or younger. The point is you can't rely on claims.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, but if someone claims to be under 13, Wikia cannot take the chance. If it is someone over 13 thinking it is a joke, well, that is what they get for lying about their age.

        Loading editor
    • yeah, wikia takes it at face value, hence if you go "lol I'm 2 look how cool I am", wikia will take action and disable your account, even if you're actually 25.

        Loading editor
    • Usually they will clear your profile and your profile masthead across the network while they disable your account for being underage. Being underage violates COPPA and ToU. Despite that if you're really above 13/16 and you say that you're under the age limit, your account will be disabled. That means do not joke about being underage or will face a big consequence. I mean, it would be pretty ideal to block underage users instead of disabling them so that they can grow into their accounts, and wouldn't have to create a new account. Someday in the future, the network will run out of usernames, although there are a LOT of available usernames..

        Loading editor
    • OKool1470 wrote:
      Usually they will clear your profile and your profile masthead across the network while they disable your account for being underage. Being underage violates COPPA and ToU. Despite that if you're really above 13/16 and you say that you're under the age limit, your account will be disabled. That means do not joke about being underage or will face a big consequence. I mean, it would be pretty ideal to block underage users instead of disabling them so that they can grow into their accounts, and wouldn't have to create a new account. Someday in the future, the network will run out of usernames, although there are a LOT of available usernames..

      That was just said lol.

        Loading editor
    • And did I mention that when I meant profile, I meant your userpage? Yes, your userpage will be cleared if you reveal to be under the age limit.

        Loading editor
    • If you're under 13, you can create an account only if you provided your parent's email and you do not reveal your actual age or anything personal.

        Loading editor
    • So, what you are saying is you can if you lie about your age? Wasn't that already brought up?

        Loading editor
    • To OP: Generally, you're not an admin so you have no authority. However, feel free to bring this matter to the Fandom staff :P

        Loading editor
    • RedIgnite wrote: If you're under 13, you can create an account only if you provided your parent's email and you do not reveal your actual age or anything personal.

      We shouldn't encourage underage users to violate COPPA since it's not a good idea to encourage users to do things they shouldn't be doing. Just saying.

        Loading editor
    • I got globally blocked for 3 days...

        Loading editor
    • RedIgnite
      RedIgnite removed this reply because:
      Broken
      12:45, August 10, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • RedIgnite
      RedIgnite removed this reply because:
      Oops
      12:45, August 10, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

      RedIgnite wrote: If you're under 13, you can create an account only if you provided your parent's email and you do not reveal your actual age or anything personal.

      We shouldn't encourage underage users to violate COPPA since it's not a good idea to encourage users to do things they shouldn't be doing. Just saying.

      It’s only legal if they put their parents or guardian’s email and agree to never reveal their actual age (And if they do, then we'll block them until the year in which their 13th birthday arrives).

      But COPPA is a piece-of-garbage law that never worked (Many 10, 11, and 12 year olds continue to use social media) so what’s the point in supporting it? AFAIK, I began using social media (But not Wikia) at 11 years of age. Luckily, they can’t ban me now that I’m 22 :P

      Even if we discourage pre-teens from violating COPPA, they’re still going to create an account no matter what, it’s impossible to stop them.

        Loading editor
    • RedIgnite wrote:

      C.Syde65 wrote:

      RedIgnite wrote: If you're under 13, you can create an account only if you provided your parent's email and you do not reveal your actual age or anything personal.

      Social Media websites doesn’t have any age restrictions as any social media like Facebook, MeWe, Instagram, and even MeWe doesn’t have a true age restriction for that matter
        Loading editor
    • @Redgu

      Those social media websites literally don’t enforce that due to certain features that involve privacy and some other things as they do have a age restriction option (optional) if memory serves me correctly.


      In any case, I seriously doubt that social media unlike Wikia has any age restriction policies while here it is a bit more clear in Terms of Use in that regard.

      If there is any users under the age of 13, I would likely consider the possibility of the parent supervising them in some ways.

        Loading editor
    • The point is, making young people aware of the dangers of the internet. Outrageous analogy time: murders still happen, despite the laws against it.

      By the letter of the law, parents can give consent for an under-13 to have their data collected (because that's the crux here). However, it would require such a lengthy verification process that it's just not worth the effort to web sites.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      The point is, making young people aware of the dangers of the internet. Outrageous analogy time: murders still happen, despite the laws against it.

      By the letter of the law, parents can give consent for an under-13 to have their data collected (because that's the crux here). However, it would require such a lengthy verification process that it's just not worth the effort to web sites.

      Um, no. Parents can simply provide their e-mail for their child's account and the child, if under 13, may never reveal their actual age.  EDIT: I was wrong, they have to fill out a form. 

        Loading editor
    • I will be closing this thread. Some users here are incredibly misinformed and are just provoking users to lie about their age or to use other/parents' email addresses. By now this thread has just gone to arguing and the original use of the thread has long been passed.

        Loading editor
    • You can not use Fandom if you are under 13 (16 in the EEU) even if your parents consent to you doing so

      There is a provision in the US law for this, but as Tupka says, implementing it is not as simple as just getting an email address or filling out a form. So it's not something we do.

      I'm going to reclose the thread, as I think it's all been said 🙂 Please see my posts for the official answers to the questions here.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.