FANDOM

• per the information on that page, i'm trying to customize MediaWiki:Welcome-message-wall-user on a wiki where i am a sysop. the idea was to breathe some life into this feature by allowing individual sysops to customize the welcome message to better reflect their individual styles. i know this message supports wikitext markup because the default value contains wikitext markup, and per Help:Welcome_tool, $2 should be the message wall of the sysop the welcome message is being attributed to. with that in mind, i added this to the welcome message:

{{#ifexist:{{SUBJECTPAGENAME:$2}}/Welcome|{{{{SUBJECTPAGENAME:$2}}/Welcome}}| fallback content }}

every part of this except $2 can be previewed in the page editor. replacing $2 with Message_Wall:SomeSysop generates a preview that works the way i expect it to. but the actual welcome messages generated by the welcome tool all use the fallback content. what am i missing?

Loading editor
    • Which wiki is this?

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Are there any actual examples of where this hasn't worked? I can only find 2 users that joined the day of/after you made the changes to the system message; neither have received a welcome message. the substitution of a value for "$2" is done only when the message is posted to a user's message wall. As such, the system message's page sees "$2" as literally "$2". Your markup then checks to see if page "$2" exists; which it doesn't.

Loading editor
    • Are you sure about the preview? When I test with the dummy value, it doesn't work.

{{SUBJECTPAGENAME:Message_Wall:SomeSysop}}

This gives me:

Message Wall:SomeSysop

Loading editor
    • that was an example; there's not an actual user named SomeSysop. there is one (me) named Ejeleina.

Loading editor
    • actually, right now {{SUBJECTPAGENAME:}} doesn't seem to be translating any Message_Wall: pages into User: pages. it certainly should and that it isn't is a bug, but it definitely worked earlier or i wouldn't have used it. okay, i'm trying a slightly different formulation using {{PAGENAME:}} instead of {{SUBJECTPAGENAME:}}.

Loading editor
    • If you are certain that magic word was working before, then you should report the change in behavior using this form. I would be interested in what they say. However, I am not convinced that it ever worked seeing as the current behavior is as I would have expected. When MediaWiki documentation refers to a "talk page", it is referring to a specific system for having discussions about pages. The talk namespace for the "User" namespace is "User talk", not "Message Wall". It is like how it is "User blog talk" for "User blog", "Talk" for the main namespace, "Category talk" for "Category", "Project talk" for "Project", etc. I assume you can see the pattern.

What you have changed it to should definitely work though.

Edit:

Okay, so apparently it is "User blog comment", not "User blog talk". By the way, I did a quick sanity check with TALKPAGENAME. It seems that it does associate "Message Wall" with "User". One would think that, if that is the case, then what you said should be true regarding SUBJECTPAGENAME. So I am changing from saying you can report this to saying you probably should report this.

Loading editor
    • i would note that the fandom documentation describes it this way:

$2: the talk page of the person leaving the welcome

it's possible i'm misremembering what i tested. i may have interpreted the fandom documentation exactly as you describe, as a promise that the bot uses the "User talk" namespace and relies on the redirect. if it is actually using "Message Wall", and if "talk page" is always supposed to refer to "User talk", then that's a documentation bug.

Loading editor
    • ^ fyi this message predates my having noticed that you edited yours.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I saw that and assumed it was "User talk" that it linked to. However, it looks like Wikia may have changed it because of message walls. Message Walls is definitely not a talk namespace per MediaWiki convention. As I said in my edited portion, I did a quick test with TALKPAGENAME and it gave me "Message Wall" for "User". So regardless of which one it is supposed to be, something is definitely off as TALKPAGENAME is supposed to be the inverse of SUBJECTPAGENAME. I guess the difficult thing for Wikia is that not all wikis have message walls. For those wikis, "User talk" would definitely be the correct talk namespace.

Just to be clear, the redirect from "User talk" to "Message Wall" is implemented in some JS that Wikia has. The two are still separate namespaces as far as MediaWiki is concerned. You can tell by looking at the list of namespaces and namespace aliases.

list here

Loading editor
    • Ejeleina wrote: ^ fyi this message predates my having noticed that you edited yours.

Haha. That is what just happened to me.

Loading editor
    • grr i hate zendesk. that aside, i have submitted the form in question. would you like to edit w:c:super-mario-maker-2-wiki:User:Andrewds1021 and see if you get a welcome message?

Loading editor
    • Looks like it works! But you might want to check your message for spelling and grammar.

Loading editor
    • in case you're curious, the official answer from fandom is that the asymmetric behavior of {{SUBJECTPAGENAME}} and {{TALKPAGENAME}} is unlikely to change.

Loading editor
    • Huh. That is... interesting. Thanks for the update.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.