FANDOM


  • Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for July 16, 2019:

    • NEW FEATURE: We will release text formatting in Discussions!
      • The options will include bold, italics and preformatted text, plus numbered and bulleted lists. You'll also be able to upload multiple images to one post, and add hyperlinks to text.
      • When starting a new post, you will no longer have to decide between a text, image or link post. Polls will remain a separate post type.
      • Users of the Fandom app will receive this same update in a few days.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: When creating a new Discussions post in Firefox on Windows, spaces between words disappear.
      Loading editor
    • This update is good but some users prefer to use wiki templates

        Loading editor
    • Could you please wikilink to a page which describes what these "Discussions" are?

      I guess it's not these comments, because it had bold, italics and
      preformatted text
      • plus numbered and bulleted lists, and add hyperlinks for as long as I can remember.

      Even signatures work here. —⁠andrybak (talk) 21:37, July 15, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Thanks, and I modified the original post as well!

        Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote: This update is good but some users prefer to use wiki templates

      I have a feeling that won't be coming for a long time; if at all.

        Loading editor
    • That would indeed require wikitext support, which is not in the plan. If your wiki relies on templates in conversations, you'll probably want to stick to wiki-style forums instead. 

        Loading editor
    • Will there be inline preformatting as well as block preformatting?
      inline

      block

      If you add multiple images to a post, can you add them in the text itself or only all at the bottom?
        Loading editor
    • It will be block preformatting, like in your second example. 

      And you can add an image anywhere. Overall, you'll be much less restricted than before in how you create a post. You can have some text, then an image, then some more text, then another image, then a link preview, then more text, for instance. 

        Loading editor
    • Excellent

        Loading editor
    • I think y'all should introduce tools to ban a user from Discussions, but so they can still contribute to the wiki (Similar to chat-ban).

        Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: I think y'all should introduce tools to ban a user from Discussions, but so they can still contribute to the wiki (Similar to chat-ban).

      Discussions is more of a forum then a chat tbh.

        Loading editor
    • But I've heard in multiple places that users spam in discussions, but make constructive edits to the wiki content.

        Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: But I've heard in multiple places that users spam in discussions, but make constructive edits to the wiki content.

      if they spam in discussions, then are they really being a constrictive user?

        Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

      TortoiseCat5 wrote: But I've heard in multiple places that users spam in discussions, but make constructive edits to the wiki content.

      if they spam in discussions, then are they really being a constrictive user?

      Yeah, I am pretty skeptical about this being true. At the very least, I don't think it would be a common situation.

        Loading editor
    • Like users vandalizing some wikis, but being constructive on others.

        Loading editor
    • Mira Laime wrote: That would indeed require wikitext support, which is not in the plan. If your wiki relies on templates in conversations, you'll probably want to stick to wiki-style forums instead. 

      Aren't forums being removed?

        Loading editor
    • Wiki-style forums is different from Forums. Only Forums is being removed at the moment. Likely the other Forums-like features will be removed eventually as well (i.e. Message Walls, Article Comments, and Blog Comments).

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Wiki-style forums is different from Forums. Only Forums is being removed at the moment. Likely the other Forums-like features will be removed eventually as well (i.e. Message Walls, Article Comments, and Blog Comments).

      Hopefully there's still ways to preserve the old conversations.

        Loading editor
    • This is fabulous news. I'm really glad to hear it. I'd be surprised if this doesn't address the concerns raised by users complaining about Discussions not having text formatting of some kind. Even if Discussions still doesn't support templates.

        Loading editor
    • I'd take a guess that mass conversion of the remaining Forum to Discussions will be starting soon. Wikitext is officially gone, bummer. Not looking forward to using buttons to format. Regardless, glad the link issue is fixed 'cause that was the most pathetic of the issues.

        Loading editor
    • Chase McFly wrote:

      Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Wiki-style forums is different from Forums. Only Forums is being removed at the moment. Likely the other Forums-like features will be removed eventually as well (i.e. Message Walls, Article Comments, and Blog Comments).

      Hopefully there's still ways to preserve the old conversations.

      iirc forum threads will get migrated to discussions when the wiki switches over to them.

        Loading editor
    • An expected update, to be sure, and everyone will judge its sense by themselves – I personally believe Discussions didn't need anything of the changes above, except for listing, because it aims to be something like Twitter of Facebook rather than a wiki host, so the main intention now seems to be cancelled.

      The question is, why must polls be kept separate? I remember being able to share polls and text walls at once, in a way so I could describe the poll's content apart from only listing answers, and it was was favorable in this regard.

        Loading editor
    • crab rave time

        Loading editor
    • Banarama wrote: crab rave time

      🦀

        Loading editor
    • We don't have immediate plans to migrate the remaining threaded forums to Discussions, although that is still the long-term plan. If you follow this space and the staff blog, you won't miss the announcement for that, when the time comes. We've migrated forum content to Discussions in the past, when a wiki switched over, so nothing was lost, and should be able to do the same again when we shut down the forums on the last remaining communities that still have them. 

      Polls remain a separate post type simply because that was easier to implement for our developers. It's technically possible to have them as a component in any regular post, but it would require additional time and effort, and we don't consider that a priority, at least not at the moment. 

        Loading editor
    • Mira Laime wrote: We don't have immediate plans to migrate the remaining threaded forums to Discussions, although that is still the long-term plan. If you follow this space and the staff blog, you won't miss the announcement for that, when the time comes. We've migrated forum content to Discussions in the past, when a wiki switched over, so nothing was lost, and should be able to do the same again when we shut down the forums on the last remaining communities that still have them.  

      Just adding to this, there are already a whole lot of threads/blogs regarding the conversion process/schedule so take a look at those if you want more information. Just one thing to add is that, since Discussions doesn't have MediaWiki support, the conversion is done by taking the rendered HTML. This means that, once converted, the messages cannot be edited. At least, not in the same way as before.

        Loading editor
    • They can be edited, but that may alter their format. Before today's release, editing a previously migrated forum post would just completely strip out its formatting. After today's release, the result of editing an old forum post may be similar. I can't say yet how editing a migrated forum post will look like after future migrations. A lot has chanced in Discussions since the last time we migrated a community's forums into it, so that script will need to be substantially updated - and then we may at least be able to keep some of the old formatting when editing a migrated post. 

        Loading editor
    • Perhaps I should clarify. What I meant was that, say you used a template in your original post. Since MediaWiki is not supported in Discussions, you won't see the template call when editing a migrated post. I just wanted to mention that since it seemed to be the only key summary point missing from your response.

      That is good that editing better retains format now.

        Loading editor
    • Will admins and mods be able to edit poll options, again? I believe it was done away with in the last app release, but I don't believe it was ever an option for desktop. Also, can you expand upon why this option was removed in the last update - I assume because it resets the poll votes back to '0'.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Perhaps I should clarify. What I meant was that, say you used a template in your original post. Since MediaWiki is not supported in Discussions, you won't see the template call when editing a migrated post. I just wanted to mention that since it seemed to be the only key summary point missing from your response.

      That is good that editing better retains format now.

      I wonder if that could be solved by substing the template, tho then you would have to worry about other templates inside the template. Hm, maybe allow just calling templates instead?

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for July 16, 2019:
      • NEW FEATURE: We will release text formatting in Discussions!
        • The options will include bold, italics and preformatted text, plus numbered and bulleted lists. You'll also be able to upload multiple images to one post, and add hyperlinks to text.
        • When starting a new post, you will no longer have to decide between a text, image or link post. Polls will remain a separate post type.
        • Users of the Fandom app will receive this same update in a few days.

      Good update

        Loading editor
    • Both calling and substituting templates are part of MediaWiki.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Both calling and substituting templates are part of MediaWiki.

      Yeah, but the migration could get the content of the template and replace the template call with that, or calling templates from the wiki could be added.

        Loading editor
    • Will there be added the 'Following' list for the Fandom app added?

        Loading editor
    • Bennett Blood Mage18 wrote:
      Will admins and mods be able to edit poll options, again? I believe it was done away with in the last app release, but I don't believe it was ever an option for desktop. Also, can you expand upon why this option was removed in the last update - I assume because it resets the poll votes back to '0'.

      Yes, that's exactly why. We can either have it reset the votes, which would be similar to just making a whole new poll and not great, or we could not reset the vote when poll options are edited, and that's worse: You could turn people's votes on their head after the fact. If I vote for something, I'd want to be sure someone doesn't change the answer I voted for to say "Puppies are evil" later on. 

      We do want admins and mods to change categories or edit tags on a poll, but nothing else for those reasons, so that option won't come back. 

      FANSG wrote: Will there be added the 'Following' list for the Fandom app added?

      We're not planning on that in the near future. That's not to say a Following filter or something similar won't ever come back - we do realize the value in letting people look at just the stuff they've previously marked as worth revisiting.

        Loading editor
    • ^Thanks Eva. I appreciate the response.

      Following up with discussions, have you noticed (or anyone, really) an issue with responding to posted threads, where spaces, as you type are removed. If as you write a response it would really look like this: Ifasyouwritearesponseitwouldreallylooklikethis. And you'd have to add the spaces back manually?

        Loading editor
    • If I may make an assumption, the follow view in Discussions was rather seriously broken due to an issue where every single post had to be loaded at once, so if you’ve followed 1,000 posts the follow view was essentially unusable, as it not only took ages it load that much content, but a page with that much stuff on it can easily crash any browser. For that reason my guess is that the follow view didn’t see much use, not because it was useless, but because it was broken.

        Loading editor
    • @Bennett Blood Mage18: Yes, I added this as a known issue to the update above. It's not just you.

        Loading editor
    • ^Thanks! Cheers.

        Loading editor
    • The Firefox issue also happens on Linux.

        Loading editor
    • I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but you guys should probably fix the "last updated" thing
      Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 10.51.39 AM

      "Last updated now ago" "Last updated 7/11/2019 ago" "Last updated 7/13/2019 ago"

        Loading editor
    • What's the issue there?

        Loading editor
    • How it says "last updated ***now*** ago", and how it says "last updated ***7/13/2019*** ago"

        Loading editor
    • Heh, that looks kinda interesting :)

      Anyway, you can contact Fandom Staff to report the bug.

        Loading editor
    • The strange wording in the "last updated" time stamp is already known, too. The developers are aware of it, but haven't prioritized fixing this yet, since it's not something that keeps people from using the site or really disrupts their experience. 

        Loading editor
    • Yes, please fix the "space eater" bug before the Last updated bug. The "space eater" bug is driving me crazy.

        Loading editor
    • Definitely, that one definitely has much higher priority!

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Yes, please fix the "space eater" bug before the Last updated bug. The "space eater" bug is driving me crazy.

      What are the details of this one?

        Loading editor
    • This known issue causes spaces to disappear in Firefox (and Linux) once you start typing the next word, resulting in text that looks like Iamunabletoaddanyspaces

        Loading editor
    • Firefox (tested on v68) on Mac (just tested it), Windows, and Linux.

      Sounds like there isn't really anyone checking Mac.

        Loading editor
    • There seems to be an issue when you put a link, it shows the link and the link open graph both. So instead of the link turning into the box, it has both. Is it supposed to do that?

        Loading editor
    • The "space eater" bug appears to have been fixed. Didn't see an announcement, but is anyone still seeing the "space eater" bug?

      As for links and the graphical box thing... it tries to add the graphical box for whatever the last link that was added as far as I know. It's actually a really annoying "feature".

        Loading editor
    • It is annoying. It was better when it turned the link into the graph.

        Loading editor
    • Actually no. That was before you could add links to any text, so it was much worse. You couldn't control the appearance of the box thing at all. Now you can remove the box thing, but it would be better if it were opt-in and not opt-out.

        Loading editor
    • Also, it might just be me, but the post button isn't working all the time and the graph doesn't open sometimes when you want it to.

        Loading editor
    • Same here. whenever I try to make a discussions post I get a "Saving post failed" message and links get a "Fetching OpenGraph failed" message

        Loading editor
    • Hmmm... I haven't seen this error and I use Discussions quite a bit. How are you getting to Discussions? Old community app? FANDOM app? Mobile browser? Desktop browser?

      If you decide to go through the painful bug submission process at FANDOM, try to give as much info as possible.

        Loading editor
    • I got these issues through desktop. I reported the graph problem to FANDOM months ago and it hasn't been solved.

        Loading editor
    • What browser?

        Loading editor
    • Desktop on Chrome

        Loading editor
    • Hmmm... probably Chrome specific. I use Safari and Firefox and have never seen those errors.

        Loading editor
    • could you link an example graph?

        Loading editor
    • So the post button doesn't work on my computer but it does work on my phone. Maybe its a Chrome thing or just my computer?

      As for the graph issue, the message doesn't appear anymore and instead it leaves a blank line where the box should be.

        Loading editor
    • I dug into it a bit, my issue stems from my pihole blocking services.fandom.com. If I whitelist it I can make posts, and if I blacklist it I can still make posts until I delete my cache. This applies to both adding images and links as well.


      Not that I think it matters, but I'm using Firefox 68.0.1 on Linux

        Loading editor
    • Forge the Hybrid wrote: I dug into it a bit, my issue stems from my pihole blocking services.fandom.com. If I whitelist it I can make posts, and if I blacklist it I can still make posts until I delete my cache. This applies to both adding images and links as well.


      Not that I think it matters, but I'm using Firefox 68.0.1 on Linux

      why do you block services?

        Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

      why do you block services?

      Not on purpose, it's just on one of my Ads, Tracking, Telemetry, etc. lists. I've contacted the author about it

        Loading editor
    • Ahhh, I should have thought of adblocking. If you're not using a vanilla browser and have addons/plugins set up you should always check and see if they are causing a problem.

        Loading editor
    • Forge the Hybrid wrote:
      Same here. whenever I try to make a discussions post I get a "Saving post failed" message and links get a "Fetching OpenGraph failed" message

      This is a known bug we're currently working on fixing. 

        Loading editor
    • Didn't Forge the Hybrid already find the problem in #65? Or do you mean you guys are working on a server-side fix?

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.