FANDOM

• Hello! I'm from russian wow wiki and i would like to ask your help in little translation, if you're native english speaker :) I'm waiting for your answer, and thanks in advance :)

Loading editor
    • Sure, I can help.

Loading editor
    • Hello again :) Thanks for the answer :) Alright, as i have already said, i came from russian wow fandom. Some articles there got foreighn sources of information (maybe even english fandom, i dunno, i'm just reader, not an admin), so, this is quote from article about Sylvanas. 

He was willing to look her in the eyes following her pact with the val'kyr, and what he saw there startled even him.

This is the quote about Garrosh and Sylvanas. I understand what does it says about, but i got stucked because of word "following". What does it mean - Garrosh was looking in her eyes because it was the clause of pact, or "following" means that he looked in her eyes after the pact had concluded, or what does it mean? I haven't played in Cata (i guess it's something about quest "The Warchief Cometh") and also i haven't read any books\comics about it. I hope that you'll help me to understand :) And sorry for my english xD

Loading editor
    • You have it right. In this case, "following" just means 'after'.

Loading editor
    • And... was willing to look - does the google says right, that it's same as was ready to? If it is, then what's the difference? My mind wants to translate it as "He dared to look" :) You know, some expressions in russian sounds different than in english, so it's better to be changed (i don't speak concretely about this one, but there's some things how we don't speak, as english people do). And the last one question. I'm study to be a translator and i'm very often get such jams in this thing, can i sometimes write to you for explonations? You know, help of native speaker is invaluable thing :)

Loading editor
    • The phrase fragment was willing to look implies something possibly dangerous about about looking into the eyes. It is slightly different from was ready to that doesn't really imply danger, but more implies need for preparation. "He dared to look" is an okay replacement. The only difference is it makes it sound like he has more courage.

Feel free to ask me translation questions regarding English. I'm not an expert, but I try to have good grammar and spelling. I also have great respect for translators.

Loading editor
    • I thought so :) Maybe he risked to look? But the difference between risked and dared is very small, i think. It's a bit difficult for me now to see clearly the difference, because i can't remember exact analogue of that in russian (maybe it doesn't exist) xD But i understand this logic. Thank you very much for your invaluable help :) My teacher in university has no time to explain such subtleties of language when i got questions (after hours), so i'm very appreciate your help, again - thank you very much :)

Loading editor
    • Well, your university teacher probably has many students asking questions.

Loading editor
    • You're right, and he's very busy with job - too many students, too many lessons and work with lectures\papers, work with some events at university, sometimes he even has no time to play the computer games at home (don't want to brag, but i have literally the best english teacher in the world xD) He likes memes, games, he got a good musical taste and also his lessons are always interesting because of all these things (we listen some songs, joking a lot and play games while studying english). Well, see you in my next trouble, and thanks again :) 

Loading editor
    • I'll be waiting.

Loading editor
    • Hello again :) Сould you please explain this expression  "I don't feel like %doing something% this week"? Have i understood it correctly that it means "I don't want (have no desire\aspiration\mind\appetite i dunno which word would be more correct) to do something this week"? If so, then what's the differrence?

Loading editor
    • Roughly the same as: I have no desire to do an activity this week.

These would all be roughly equivalent to "don't feel like": Have no desire, no aspiration, no motivation, no appetite for...

"No mind for" would be a bit vague. I think that would mean maybe: Not thinking about

The "activity" is usually referring to something earlier in the conversation.

"Doing something" is interchangeable with "doing anything", "doing an activity", etc.

Loading editor
    • Thanks (^_^)

Loading editor
    • Hello again :)  Could you explain, please, what means an expression "Ride or die" when it says about man\family etc? For example phrase "Be my Ride or Die"

Loading editor
    • I think I need more context. That isn't a commonly used phrase, that I know of.

Sounds like something someone who is carjacking would say.

Loading editor
    • The very first time i'd heard this expression in chorus of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADcVol-0No (chorus starts at 1:20) hope you like rap and nerdcore xD Also in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1rI2B3WzPc at 2:00 was phrase "Everybody needs a family - mine is Ride or Die". As my teacher tried to explain, this expression means something like russian one which sounds like "friend is known in trouble", but as i know, english version of this one is "A friend in need is a friend indeed", so i want to know the truth from native speaker :D

Loading editor
    • Well, I did some research and it basically means "someone you would die for". Since this is pure slang, you can't definitively give an answer, because it means different things in different communities, but the basic translation I gave works.

So "Everybody needs a family - mine is Ride or Die" basically means "my family is those who I would die for" which may imply the speaker is talking about a gang and not their actual family.

Loading editor
    • Hmm, so, it's somebody like a best friend, the man with whom you "walked through the fire, water and copper tubes" and as result who's worth to die for... to say roughly, ofc. Can't remember analogue of this in russian, but thank you very much, again you helped me to learn more :) See you next time ^_^

Loading editor
    • Here's another one. What does it mean, when somebody is "made of cheese"? For example songs: ELA - Devil Made of Cheese (you won't find it on YouTube) and song by Bonecage - Cheese Horse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afi__5a3HpU)

Loading editor
    • So you're starting to move into stuff that is not standard English. I have no idea what that means for certain. My guess is it is an alternate term for "made of money".

If you're going to ask me about what is probably slang, you have to give me more than just the isolated phrase.

Also, don't give me Youtube links. I want to help you, but I will probably never listen to Youtube to hear some words in a song you could give me the lyrics to.

Loading editor
    • I couldn't find the lyrics of both these songs cause they are not popular, and even just the ELA band is hard to find on the internet. From ELA's song i can distinguish the phrase "You're not a beast - you're just a devil made of cheese", I can only guess that it means somebody who's look like a clown (not literally) but it's not sure. And what about Bonecage's one? "Cheese unicorn is a unicorn made of cheese", i can't say that's about idiom for sure, but who knows, maybe it's just about color (cause the song is fancy and little bit junkie, so as foreighner i can't understand real meaning). I give you all what i know and where i saw\heard something, i have no more information, expecially about slang  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loading editor
    • Both those examples make me think it has nothing to do with money, but implies weakness, meaning something like having the strength of cheese. However, since these are obviously "creative" uses of language and slang. Only the author knows the real answer.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.