FANDOM

• I am not sure if this goes here but here I go anyways :P

So I noticed and loved the pride month fandom heart (and wish we had a wordmark version). In fact I retro-fit it as my favicon on my wiki (for I think my wiki is inclusive and I just like rainbows).

But I was wondering if maybe fandom could have a gallery or selection of official fandom icons, wordmarks, and banners. So communities can use fandom advertising but with options.

Having ones for holidays or generic themes- communities can get in the spirit of anything with light window dressings if they so choose.

Loading editor
    • Interesting idea. However, just to be clear, I am pretty sure the customization rules would still apply; do it isn't like you would be allowed to change the logo in the global footer, global navigation, etc.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Interesting idea. However, just to be clear, I am pretty sure the customization rules would still apply; do it isn't like you would be allowed to change the logo in the global footer, global navigation, etc.

If it is official fandom and released by fandom- maybe they will allow header/footer customize option but it's fine if they don't too.

Loading editor
    • Just to be clear, floating this idea here will help you see how some small portion of the community feels about this idea, but does nothing to communicate it to FANDOM staff.

To communicate the idea to FANDOM staff you should send it via the new Zendesk form: https://fandom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000956114

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Just to be clear, floating this idea here will help you see how some small portion of the community feels about this idea, but does nothing to communicate it to FANDOM staff.

To communicate the idea to FANDOM staff you should send it via the new Zendesk form: https://fandom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000956114

Really? even gaming app forums have moderators that sift through the forums and forward popular ideas to the devs. It is really cumbersome to ticket for everything for wikia... I barely like ticketing real issues XD

Loading editor
    • Welcome to FANDOM.

Unless this changes based on the new "Community Contract", FANDOM staff have never committed to reviewing any of these forums except some replies in Technical Updates board. Even CC admin/mod review is extremely light. The most responsive CC admin has been Noreplyz for me, but there may be others.

Loading editor
    • I have to admit shortly after wikia became fandom, I went mia from wikia/fandom for years (you may or may not remember, I think we had some contact here and on the portability hub- speaking of which (and you might know) fishtank gone or something?). I just got back a couple months ago XD

So I definitely am not fully versed with their recent practices but I am with some :P

Loading editor
    • Well, the "practice" of FANDOM staff not committing to looking at the forums has been true for as long as I've been around.

Loading editor
    • Well then I guess we are on a "we'll see" stance with this new mandate they are fluffing.

Loading editor
    • I tried to point out your reply to the staff blog about someone monitoring CC forums. We'll see what they say and do.

Loading editor
    • As far as I know, staff has indeed not committed to review any of the forum boards thoroughly, but if there's a thread that needs staff intervention (immediate or not), we can contact them about it. Probably as you would expect. Me and Noreplyz tend to look at forums every few days, while also keeping tabs on RC more than you'd think, but we've both been busy as of late and have to rely on others sometimes for reports. If I see threads that need deletion instead of removing, I relay it to admins who should deal with it, as well

In regards to the original topic, I think it would really be a S:C issue. Most of the logos and wordmarks of Fandom are copyrighted in some way, and I'm not sure if these images are useable or not.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2 wrote: As far as I know, staff has indeed not committed to review any of the forum boards thoroughly, but if there's a thread that needs staff intervention (immediate or not), we can contact them about it. Probably as you would expect. Me and Noreplyz tend to look at forums every few days, while also keeping tabs on RC more than you'd think, but we've both been busy as of late and have to rely on others sometimes for reports. If I see threads that need deletion instead of removing, I relay it to admins who should deal with it, as well

I believe we are more talking about dev/staff presences in a non-clean up/reports wise. I believe trolls/spam/inappropriate posts are dealt with in a similar matter no more nor less than other forums and community platforms. So this is in no way speaking disparagingly to those who those who clean up and keep tabs (because it tends to be unnoticed/unseen).

I have been apart of several forum communities in the past decade (from big brand games to little hardly on the radar app games) with usual and regular direct contact and presences by devs/staff. Everything from:

• weekly updates
      • addressing hot, popular or unpopular issues
      • a regular update on FAQ (of common question/concerns, what devs: plan to do, may do and won't ever do (aka stop asking us issues))
      • even staff (either one rep or a few) coming out simply for PR appearances (even if it is simple once a week or a few times a month on replying to users for a couple of hours).
        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I was going to say, there is probably a lot they do that doesn't get seen. But you beat me there.

Loading editor
    • Regarding updates and or staff presence non-clean up wise, staff posts regular/noticeable updates on the Technical Updates on the forum. There's also Staff Office Hours where users can ask staff questions for an hour each week in chat, and this month also marked the start of monthly updates on popular issues and other staff blogs regarding important decisions. Even then, there are still issues and questions that should be asked on Special:Contact for administrative reasons.

Loading editor
    • Not to mention that none of those new communication channels include staff making an explicit effort to thoroughly read the other Forum boards.

Loading editor
    • They don't even have to be thorough... they could just scan the titles for things that might need their involvement. The new Zendesk system is much less friendly than the old way. I've submitted one ticket with it and it was horrible.

Loading editor
    • With all due respect, I am taking Fandyllic's word and considering their activity and long standing presences and they clearly disagrees (above noted). And I admit many times I do post on the forums I get the "Special:Contact" line- which is very disconcerning.

Out my personal experience of on and off being on the community center. I have talked to staff via their pages. Lots of times I don't get a full answer (I get a- "I am inconveniencing them" feeling), it is almost never followed up and worse if I Special:Contact I get less help or attention.

However, I have been met with friendly and responsive staff- when directly contacted. Just perhaps the community as a whole should be addressing via forums when it is a non-staff person specific question/concern. Where the community can all see, weigh-in and keep track (and not get lost on a staff wall or staff blog). Maybe too many ways to see or (more) chase staff is a problem too?

You cannot kudos staff blog replies, you cannot get notices when you receive a reply on a blog, it is as if it intentionally meant to get lost and forgotten (which I thought was why this new dialog has been brought up- something is broken). Walls are more personal- someone answering or pipping in (who wasn't original poster) would be rude but it doesn't mean they (or others) wouldn't be interested in the conversation too.

So me being notified of how in touch staff is in forums (or lack there of), bouncing ideas and discussing it civilly with other vet members- should not be considered a direct attack and more an attempt to help open this new dialog which the staff- I believe, is asking for.

Loading editor
    • Well, many of the current FANDOM staff are new and the leadership is new. Things can change.

The staff blogs have many drawbacks... lack of Kudos support is one. The biggest problem is that you don't get notified if someone replies to your comment, so you just have to remember to check back. You also can't preview comments, which is annoying. At least comments mostly support wikitext.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.