FANDOM

• Recently I've noticed when I try to right click on some articles on other fandoms they won't open. This also occurs when I try to open them in a new window, a window will briefly open than close. So far this only appears to happen when I'm using Google Chrome, I have not had this same type of problem in Internet Explorer. I don't think it's a virus as I've refreshed my computer a few times just to make sure. Is this happening to anyone else?

Loading editor
    • This has happened to me a few times earlier while using Chrome. I suggest you also submit a bug report detailing your experience with this issue.

Loading editor
    • if u using adblock, add this rule to stop blocking popups on the domain fandom.com:

@@/https?:\/\/.*[&|%|+|=].*/$popup,domain=fandom.com

if u using other popup-blocking software, then add fandom.com to exclusions.

Loading editor
    • This is not related to ad pop-ups, the links simply do not open or close immediately, on an intermittent basis

Loading editor
    • one of lists of adblock (easylist) has rule that disables all popups for fandom.com domain. there is no distinction between "ad popups" and any other popups. all popups are blocked. that means u can't open new tab\window.

if u using adblock, then open adblock console in the dev tools, then try to open something in new tab. u will see something fascinating.

Loading editor
    • And if I have adblock disabled on fandom.com and it's still occurring?

Loading editor
    • I was able to open articles in a new window prior to this problem, while I had a Chrome ad block add-on.

Loading editor
    • RickGT#6
      And if I have adblock disabled on fandom.com and it's still occurring?

then, u r using other similar blocking software. anyway the problem is not in the fandom itself. it is ur browser\software.
        Loading editor
    • I am also having the same problem, and I don't have any ad-blocking software.

So it can't be a blocking software problem.

I can still open pictures with right click, but its no longer possible to open new pages as it will automatically close or won't open at all.

Its not a problem with my browser either, since I have tried it with different computers and I keep getting the same results.

Its also effecting the actual main link to the wikia itself, as when I try to open a wikia page from a search engine it automatically closes the same way, so there is something definitely wrong here.

Loading editor
    • SageM#9
      So it can't be a blocking software problem.

it is. look at ur browser setting, installed extensions, antiviruses, firewalls and other software. something in ur browser blocking popups. keep in mind: software works even if u don't know about it.

alternative way: do nothing and wait until fandom staff will contact to maintainers of filters (or chrome developers, cuz it is part of chrome that can't see difference between automated popup and user-requested window) and will resolve the problem for u.

Loading editor
    • Can you give give an exact example so we can test it? I have not been experiencing this issue so I doubt the problem is on Wikia's end.

Loading editor
    • When I try to open "diff" or "hist" links from Special:RecentChanges or Special:Contributions (also "cur"/"prev" links in page history) in a new tab, browser fails to do anything. Opening links that don't have query ('?' in url) in a new tab still works. This issue started less than a week ago (and only on wikia; wikipedia works fine).

This bug occurs regardless of method of opening link in new tab (tried: middle click, right click + selecting "Open link in new tab" from context menu, and ctrl-enter keyboard shortcut – in all tests, nothing happened, no new tabs). It occurs in Chrome browser, both in Windows 10 and Chrome OS. However, this issue does not happen when using Firefox. (In both browsers using adblock extension from same company.)

Loading editor
    • Have you tried disabling your ad blocker?

Loading editor
    • Yes, Fngplg's solution works.

Loading editor
    • Sorry for the late reply. I submitted a bug report and got a quick response saying that ad block software or extensions were the cause. After disabling my Google Chrome's ad block extension I'm now able to right click and open articles in new tabs or windows without difficultly.

Loading editor
    • Are they going to try and fix the bug for chrome at least? 

Since it may still be a problem for newer users who don't know about the ad block causing problems.

Loading editor
    • I had this problem whilst using Adblock Plus. Pausing didn't appear to work, but "Don't run on pages on this site" did.

Loading editor
    • I got another reply back from the support team. It says they're looking into it, but it might be out of their hands since ad block is involved.

Loading editor
    • Thats good news. 

Hopefully they can find a solution to it any way.

Loading editor
    • I don't see how it could be "out of their hands." If everything worked fine with ad block running before, and now it doesn't work, then the changes to the site are the cause, not ad block. Why not roll-back those changes as a temporary measure, and then try to figure out what went wrong?

It's all well and good that we know that there's a bug and know how to correct for it, but what of the average reader who doesn't watch Community Central forum threads for explanations of strange website behavior. If a reader is impeded in finding information, there's nothing keeping them from looking it up on another site.

Loading editor
    • Adblockers make changes too, you know. Since ad makers keep coming up with ways to bypass existing blocks, ad blockers have to beef up their defenses. Fandom can't change anything. At most they can contact the blockers, and they probably already have. It's out of their hands.

Loading editor
    • Yeah. FANDOM getting blocked by ad blockers is not a bug; it is you not knowing how to use the ad blocking software properly. As Tupka217 said, there is nothing Wikia can do about it.

Loading editor
    • Sorry, but that just doesn't hold water. One adblocker mistakenly blocking Wikia, I could understand. But when several blockers suddenly start doing it all at the same time, that seems to indicate that Wikia broke something, not the blockers.

I could be wrong though, because of course I'm such a rube that I'm incapable of configuring an adblocker properly.

Loading editor
    • Why would it be Wikia's responsibility to make sure their site is compatible with ad blockers when they don't even want you using ad blockers in the first place?

Loading editor
    • LostInRiverview#23
      But when several blockers suddenly start doing it all at the same time, that seems to indicate that Wikia broke something, not the blockers

Andrewds1021#22
      it is you not knowing

this part is correct.

adblockers, as like antiviruses, uses some shared databases. in this particular case, it is the "easylist" list. once added to the list, site will have problems with bunch of adblockers.

Loading editor
    • @Fngplg: I don't know much on coding at all, but I've been having this problem as well, and it is annoying considering our wiki tends to edit quite a bit of pages at a time. How would I go about editing my adblock?

Loading editor
    • i can't give more instructions than i did yet, cuz my adblock has different lang. if u can't deal with ur adblock, i believe that instructions for russian adblock will be not so helpful to u too.

Loading editor
    • Does the rule mentioned upthread mean fandom.com opening any link or does it mean only links to fandom.com opening?

Asking because I want to be sure how this works since it's happening to links to anywhere as long as they're on a Wikia page.

Loading editor
    • filter will work on all pages from the domain fandom.com. target is the left part of the rule. u can modify the regexp to allow to open links that leads to fandom.com only. use link above to learn more about filters.

Loading editor
    • I think I'm still confused so I'm just going to assume that opening a link to Wikipedia posted on Wikia and having it close is part of how this works...

Loading editor
    • That's not even how it doesn't work.

Loading editor
    • does it even matter?

Loading editor
    • I was having trouble understanding the rule, so if it turned out that the rule only applied to links to fandom.com, it would indeed matter if it's happening to other links that happen to be on the website (which it is).

I just wanted to confirm my understanding. *shrug*

Loading editor
    • Not sure why people think the ad blockers are blameless in these scenarios... sounds more like religion than logic.

Loading editor
    • At this point I've apparently arrived at this thread in two instances of needing sleep, because right now while I don't the whole thing is less confusing even if I don't understand EVERY part.

But also, I suspect something changed anyway, because I've made no Wikia or Adblocker changes and I'm no longer having the issue. *confused shrugging*

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.