FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for June 10, 2019:

• NOTABLE: We will be changing the way Special:Contact works and switching to an updated support system - but never fear, you'll still be talking to the same Fandom team!
    • KNOWN ISSUE: We are looking into an issue that is preventing image posts from being saved in Discussions.
      Loading editor
    • Could we get more details on this?

• NOTABLE: We will be changing the way Special:Contact works and switching to an updated support system - but never fear, you'll still be talking to the same Fandom team!

Lack of details gives me fear, even if I know I'll be talking to the same team.

Loading editor
    • Maybe there will be more actual contact forms? Most of the links there just tell you to look at help pages and use Special:Contact/general if your question isn't answered.

Loading editor
    • Sounds great. As long as it's not somewhere that requires extra logging in on my part! :D

Loading editor
    • I've found this one at GitHub in "Redirect Contact and DMCARequest pages to Zendesk" PR: https://fandom.zendesk.com Also support.fandom.com redirects to this, so we can assume that this page would be used instead of current contact form.

Loading editor
    • It's part of the Curse-Fandom unification. Previously, we were running two different ZenDesk instances.

Now we'll be running a single instance, bucketed by site. The changes were necessary to add this additional functionality.

Loading editor
    • Okay, but the question is will this have any significant impact on the user-facing side of things? I doubt most users care how many instances of ZenDesk you were running or how the requests get organized behind the scenes.

Loading editor
    • How will non-EN support be? Will the Zendesk get any additional language support beyond ES and RU?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Okay, but the question is will this have any significant impact on the user-facing side of things? I doubt most users care how many instances of ZenDesk you were running or how the requests get organized behind the scenes.

I wouldn't characterize the impact as significant, but there will be a noticeable difference. We want to be transparent about these changes so that users aren't surprised.

Loading editor
    • Pcj

Looks like the ZenDesk change is now live.

Loading editor
    • When will the problem be fixed?

Loading editor
    • A fix for the Discussions image post issue is now live!

Loading editor
    • Yay! It works for me now! Thank you so much to the awesome team that worked on it, and I hope you all have a nice day!

Loading editor
    • I hate the way you changed how Special:Contact works. I cannot easily reach the bug report or anything else. I like the original better.

Loading editor
    • Happy2432 wrote:
      I hate the way you changed how Special:Contact works. I cannot easily reach the bug report or anything else. I like the original better.

Same.

Loading editor
    • Happy2432 wrote: I hate the way you changed how Special:Contact works. I cannot easily reach the bug report or anything else. I like the original better.

It's two extra clicks, though, which is still snappy. Exploring the new layout would make things easier to get used to (took me 30 seconds). I think the change to fandom.zendesk was the respectable go because it's two site infrastructures now, that and all special:contact messages go to Zendesk anyway. Better streamlining.

Loading editor
    • You could also bookmark https://fandom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000940393 (or whichever form you want)

Loading editor
    • What is the relevance of the ticket_form_id number?

Loading editor
    • Pcj

It updates with and specifies the selection in the drop-down under "What can we help you with today?".

Loading editor
    • Happy2432 wrote: I hate the way you changed how Special:Contact works. I cannot easily reach the bug report or anything else. I like the original better.

I'm in an agreement. It was much easier to report bugs and vandals with the original system.

Loading editor
    • BattleshipMan wrote:

Happy2432 wrote: I hate the way you changed how Special:Contact works. I cannot easily reach the bug report or anything else. I like the original better.

I'm in an agreement. It was much easier to report bugs and vandals with the original system.

You can report vandals to the VSTF or local admins?

Loading editor
    • Yes, but that doesn't account for bugs.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Yes, but that doesn't account for bugs.

I'm aware.

Loading editor
    • The new contact system creates more work for the end-user. I used to go straight to Special:Contact/bug, but now I go to zendesk site and click through three pages to get to bug report form. Then once I get to actual form, there's additional work with several new fields. Fields that used to be pre-filled (email and username) aren't anymore. The category drop-down (fifth field) is a repetition of the second page, where I clicked 'I Have Found a Bug', so why do I have to fill it here again. Then when typing subject, the form tries to further distract me with an updating list of unhelpful links.

Mostly just whining, I'll get used to it – but if fandom could auto-populate some fields, that would be great... also a direct link from initial zendesk page to ticket page...

Loading editor
    • We were somewhat limited by Zendesk's system, but we wanted to consolidate with Curse's Zendesk.

There is a link on the first page that takes you directly to the form, it's "submit a request" at the top right of the page, next to your avatar (I think we should probably change the text)

We really wanted the username and email auto-populated, but that was only possible when the form was directly on Fandom.  We aren't able to transfer that information to Zendesk.

There's a similar problem with auto-populating the dropdowns. We could do that with the general categories, but not with the sub-categories.

It's not a perfect system by any means, we had to compromise some to get most of what we wanted.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, it's a slower form with repetitious steps. Luckily I rarely send reports these days.

Loading editor
    • A system designed for the company and not the customer is unlikely to improve feedback. Just keep that in mind.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      A system designed for the company and not the customer is unlikely to improve feedback. Just keep that in mind.

We are very aware of this. The limitations of the tool and the complexity of the multiple incoming sources caused the necessary compromises.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.