FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for June 6, 2019:

• NEW FEATURE: We have released visual polls in Discussions. Users can now create polls with images as answer options. The maximum number of answer options is six. The feature is only available on web for now, but will come to the Fandom app shortly.
    • FIXED: We will fix an issue that caused IE11 users to frequently experience unexpected "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" prompts.
      Loading editor
    • Please tell me there's a height restriction on those poll images.

Loading editor
    • Applemasterexpert
      Applemasterexpert removed this reply because:
      Never mind.
      21:17, June 5, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Sounds great!

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      Please tell me there's a height restriction on those poll images.

Sadly, no, not yet. I've already seen an example of why that would be advisable though :/

Loading editor
    • I wish these visual polls were available with odd-numbered responses.

Loading editor
    • TyetheBlockhead
      TyetheBlockhead removed this reply because:
      16:52, June 11, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Mustafar29 wrote:
      I wish these visual polls were available with odd-numbered responses.

Understandable, though we made even-numbered responses as a requirement for a reason. It doesn't just look nicer, it also prevents bias. If you have one answer option sticking out as a single among a bunch of doubles, then that could skew results. 

Loading editor
    • With three responses, the poll could still show horizontal, one after another. Perhaps an issue would pop up with five, where two would need to be larger.

Loading editor
    • Mira Laime wrote:

Mustafar29 wrote:
      I wish these visual polls were available with odd-numbered responses.

Understandable, though we made even-numbered responses as a requirement for a reason. It doesn't just look nicer, it also prevents bias. If you have one answer option sticking out as a single among a bunch of doubles, then that could skew results. 

This sounds like pseudo-science to me. With only two choices or even numbered choices you also increase the chance of a non-useful tie. The real reason is probably this: Even numbered choices were easier to make look better.

Loading editor
    • Yes, that was definitely a consideration. Anything more than having two side by side at a time would be hard to squeeze into a narrow mobile screen. I don't know if this increases the chances for a non-helpful tie, though, since users can't see how other people voted until they vote themselves, and a tie is always a possibility, whether the poll is visual or not. 

Loading editor
    • Well, which is better: Having a tie, or having users vote a certain way simply because it had the majority of votes. That's the good thing about being unable to see the results until you've casted your vote, especially since you can't retract a vote after it's been cast.

Loading editor
    • Ooh, neat! I can't wait to try out creating an image poll!

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.