FANDOM

• Hello, I'm an administrator on the Steven Universe Wikia and I was hoping that I could get some advice!

There's currently a user that continuously appears every day, creating several sockpuppet accounts that they use to leave messages on walls insulting the staff members and recently have started targeting others. The usernames of these accounts often include innapropriate language and degrading words towards their targets.

I was just wondering if you have any insight on what we could possibly do other than banning the innumerable sockpuppet accounts they continue to create daily?

Loading editor
    • Hi! Definitely. We can turn on the spam filter for you on the wiki so you can set up any words for blocks. We can also turn on registered users editing only if the users spams a lot with different IPs. Our VSTF and wiki manager can also help you monitor this wiki as well. Let me know what you think and we can take some actions from there.

Loading editor
    • The other staff and I think that a spam filter is an excelent idea!

Registered user editing has been enabled for some time now but they bypass it by creating throwaway accounts. 

Loading editor
    • When you say 'spam filter', do you mean the AbuseFilter?

Loading editor
    • Oops.. My bad!! Yes I meant AbuseFilter. Does that work?

Also I think we can do some setup to limit new users' edit amounts in a certain kind of time. Would you think that is something can also help?

Loading editor
    • We already have AbuseFilter, and filter that prevents users from post profanity and etc, which were recently updated, but the rate limit might be better done via wikifactory or etc, than abusefilter (also iirc we already have a ratelimit filter).

Loading editor
    • Hi! I have set up some restrictions. Newbies and IPs can only do 1 edit per minute and 1 move in 4 minutes. Please let me know if this works. If you want to set up extra limits, I can also set up a certain number of edits an account requires before it is autoconfirmed. But please remember, this will affect all new registered users. Have to think twice before you want to do this setup.

Once the sockpuppet fades away, let me know and I can remove these restrictions. :)

Loading editor
    • Moves should be restricted to wiki staff (admins, content mods, bots, etc) only, so you don't need to ratelimit that. Also, does "edits" include page creations, comments, threads, image uploads, etc?

Loading editor
    • Ha good to know about "move" part. About "edits" limit, I think what you said is correct.

Do feel any difference so far?

Loading editor
    • no, but its only been a day, and I don't do a lot article editing.

Loading editor
    • No problem.. Does the sock come back again? We can give some time to test if this works.. :)

Loading editor
    • Piierogii keeps talking about it too...

Loading editor
    • Sharayna wrote: The other staff and I think that a spam filter is an excelent idea!

Registered user editing has been enabled for some time now but they bypass it by creating throwaway accounts. 

"The other staff and I think that a spam filter is an excellent idea!"

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.