FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for April 4, 2019:

• KNOWN ISSUE: Formatting (such as hyperlinks) is stripped from Discussions guidelines when they appear as a popup in the updated Discussions.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: Custom favicons are ignored on Discussions pages in favor of the default Fandom icon.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: At the bottom of the new Discussions Feed, the option to load the next batch of older posts is missing.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: On post detail pages in Discussions, the browser tab label doesn't reflect that post's title.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: On communities with a larger number of Discussions categories, the bottom categories can't be selected at post creation due to a display issue.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: For wikis with diacritics in their sitename, a random "a" can get added in the right rail module's title on post detail pages.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: The "Hide deleted" filter for admins and mods doesn't remember their selection when they navigate away from Discussions. 
    • KNOWN ISSUE: In the Wiki Feed module in the right rail on post details pages, the timestamp for posts that are more than a few days old contains an error. 
    • KNOWN ISSUE: The timestamp on Discussions notifications on web for new replies falsely points to midnight as the reply creation time.
      Loading editor
    • Thanks for the update.

Loading editor
    • Seems like quite a few known issues... this must be web quality' where the idea is it can be released in kind of crappy shape because people get used to patches every few days and eventually it will be decent.

Any status on editing categories on post with polls?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Seems like quite a few known issues... this must be web quality' where the idea is it can be released in kind of crappy shape because people get used to patches every few days and eventually it will be decent.

Any status on editing categories on post with polls?

Known issues are probably better than ones they have yet to find out about. At least now they can go about fixing them.

Loading editor
    • Trust me, the list above is only a subset of the bugs they know about. It definitely doesn't count some bugs that were inherited from Discussions before the Community Feeds changeover.

For one thing, the inability to add, edit, or remove categories by admins (the ones you choose when making or editing a post) should be in the known issues list, but strangely isn't.

Loading editor
    • It may be a known issue that is being worked on or one that has been mentioned in an earlier update.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Seems like quite a few known issues... this must be web quality' where the idea is it can be released in kind of crappy shape because people get used to patches every few days and eventually it will be decent.

This is completely unfair to say and you know that. Every piece of new software, every single time, has bugs when it launches. What's the point of software and the internet if such problems can't be fixed? No matter how many testing environments Fandom goes through, some problems will never manifest until an update goes live.

What's important is that the general design and functionality of Community Feeds is working, it's "decent" right now, and receiving generally positive feedback and constructive criticism.

Fandyllic wrote:

the inability to add, edit, or remove categories by admins (the ones you choose when making or editing a post) should be in the known issues list, but strangely isn't.

Which means that it's either A) not an issue that actually exists or B) no one reported it. Have you sent this report to Special:Contact/bug and did you get a response before this topic was made? I can say myself that this is not a bug I'm encountering, I can add, edit, and remove categories just fine.

Loading editor
    • Under the "WIKI NAME Feed" section, for each post, it says, "Last updated Month/Day/Year ago." (for example - "Last updated 3/29/2019 ago") Shouldn't it say "Last updated NUMBER OF DAYS/WEEKS ago?" (for example - "Last updated 6 days ago")

Loading editor
    • We have added some more known issues to the above post, since no new post is going up today (there are no code releases on Fridays). 

Yours is included, JK55556, thanks for reporting it!

@Fandyllic: We have yet to reproduce the categories issue. There is one known issue with categories (see above), but as far as we can tell, admins can both edit their wiki's existing categories, and edit the category on any new and existing post. If you're referring to editing the category on poll posts specifically, then yes, a fix for that is in the works. We are preparing an update so that mods and admins can edit both tags and categories on poll posts without resetting the vote count.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

This is completely unfair to say and you know that. Every piece of new software, every single time, has bugs when it launches. What's the point of software and the internet if such problems can't be fixed? No matter how many testing environments Fandom goes through, some problems will never manifest until an update goes live.

What's important is that the general design and functionality of Community Feeds is working, it's "decent" right now, and receiving generally positive feedback and constructive criticism.

I've been following computer software for almost 30 years and have worked on projects from PC packaged apps (2-6 months lead time before a customer can buy it), to embedded SW in devices (longer lead times), to web SW and web SW has by far the most bugs on average at release and gets patched far more often.

Sorry, but you don't get to decide what is important.

SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

Which means that it's either A) not an issue that actually exists or B) no one reported it. Have you sent this report to Special:Contact/bug and did you get a response before this topic was made? I can say myself that this is not a bug I'm encountering, I can add, edit, and remove categories just fine.

The category editing bug on poll posts is reported and you will see it mentioned in Mira Laime's reply above. And no I did not get a response before this topic was made and I still technically have no idea when the fix will be user accessible.

Mira Laime wrote:

We have added some more known issues to the above post, since no new post is going up today (there are no code releases on Fridays).

@Fandyllic: We have yet to reproduce the categories issue. There is one known issue with categories (see above), but as far as we can tell, admins can both edit their wiki's existing categories, and edit the category on any new and existing post. If you're referring to editing the category on poll posts specifically, then yes, a fix for that is in the works. We are preparing an update so that mods and admins can edit both tags and categories on poll posts without resetting the vote count.

Where is the UI for adding, editing, or removing existing categories? Is there a special link? I seriously don't see it. I'm not talking about categories in posts or replies, I'm talking about the master list, so if I have existing categories "News", "General", "Stuff", where do I delete "Stuff", so it can no longer be used or add "Silly" so it can be a new category choice?

And yes, I was specifically talking about editing categories on poll posts. Please add that to the known issues list in the first post.

Loading editor
    • We haven't added it as a known issue because it's been an issue with the old Discussions, too, and it's a questionable developer decision rather than a bug. Editing anything on a poll post would reset the votes already cast, so we restricted the editing ability - and sadly, even changing categories, which doesn't touch the poll at all, is an editing action. 

You can edit the master list in the category filter itself, in the top right corner above the feed. There should be an "Edit" button right where you normally select which categories to display.  

Loading editor
    • Oh, so the editing categories issue in poll posts was a design limitation? Sigh... I still say it's a bug, but whatever.

....Uhhh why would I look for it in the Filter menu?! Please move it somewhere more discoverable, like in the Feed Moderation box.

No wonder I couldn't find it. In the old Discussions UI is was super obvious.

Please, in the very least put some info about where to find the category list editing UI in Help:Community Feeds. It is dramatically changed from the previous UI.

Loading editor
    • The old Discussions UI also had the edit option right where you can filter your post list. That filter just so happened to be on the left, always expanded and therefore a lot more visible. Considering how rare it is that an admin needs to make changes to their category setup, compared to other stuff users need to see, we figured it's not something that has to be so front-and-center.

You have a point, though - I only just updated the help page yesterday: Help:Admin_and_Moderator_Tools_in_Discussions#Creating_categories

Loading editor
    • Yeah, usually you're supposed to update the Help either right before the feature goes live or within a day or two... Unfortunately, I now find it a pleasant surprise with FANDOM Help pages are up-to-date, since they usually aren't. When I know something I usually just update it myself, but with the feature above, I didn't even know how to find it to fix the Help pages.

Loading editor
    • Wish you could switch between Light and Dark theme. For example, the Watch Dogs Wiki was given light theme but Dark theme would fit much better. Maybe we could even request to have it changed, idk.

Loading editor
    • I believe FANDOM is working on that feature. You could make sure by asking at Special:Contact/general.

Loading editor
    • Interwiki links seems to not to be working either, as I get redirected to the bad title page instead of the Wiki itself, like the Symphogear Wiki for example.

Loading editor
    • Hmm, looks like it's just the c:wikiname shortcut that isn't working on Community Central.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote: Hmm, looks like it's just the c:wikiname shortcut that isn't working on Community Central.

I've always used community:c:symphogear and it has worked for me until a few days ago actually, which is really strange. I guess I have to change it to one of the others then. <:

Loading editor
    • Special:Contact/bug.

Also, how is this even on topic?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Special:Contact/bug.

Also, how is this even on topic?

It's a recent bug due to a recent technical update (CC moving to fandom.com). I think messages about bugs in general, especially when not sure what caused a bug, are okay in this board.

Loading editor
    • But this thread is about Discussions bugs. Something about a bug not related to Discussions should have been on its own thread or a different thread.

Loading editor
    • HorizonStriker wrote:

Noreplyz wrote: Hmm, looks like it's just the c:wikiname shortcut that isn't working on Community Central.

I've always used community:c:symphogear and it has worked for me until a few days ago actually, which is really strange. I guess I have to change it to one of the others then. <:

I am with you on this. I am pretty sure that use to work. One weekend a long while ago, I did some pretty detailed testing of the interwiki linking system. However, I'll have to recheck my notes to be sure; there were a few exceptions ot the general rules. This could have been one of them.

Loading editor
    • I just like to point out that there was another glitch that happened to me about four times, and it has happened to others as well:

Sometimes when replying to a post, rather than commenting on the post you're viewing, it sometimes posts it on the PREVIOUS one you were viewing, and it happens at random times.

Loading editor
    • NathanTheAsian332 wrote: Sometimes when replying to a post, rather than commenting on the post you're viewing, it sometimes posts it on the PREVIOUS one you were viewing, and it happens at random times.

Is this on Discussions?

Loading editor
    • That is known, although you're the first to point out that posts land on a previously viewed post. Could you S:C it?

Loading editor
    • Mira Laime wrote:
      That is known, although you're the first to point out that posts land on a previously viewed post. Could you S:C it?

Unfortunately, the post itself got deleted, so I'm gonna have to wait until it happens again.

Loading editor
    • I think they mean send them a description of the bug via Special:Contact/bug so it can be officially entered into their system.

Loading editor
    • That can help, for instance so we can show our engineers that it is an issue many users face vs. just one random person. The more (sensible) reports, the more they might consider something worth fixing fast. We have to be able to reproduce the issue or at least figure out how it occurs before we can fix it, but additional reports can help us find a pattern. 

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.