FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for April 2, 2019:

• NEW FEATURE: We will start rolling out automatic draft saving in the classic editor for both source and visual modes (including when visual mode is disabled).
      • This tool autosaves your planned changes every few seconds, so if your browser crashes or you accidentally close the tab, reopening the editor will bring you back to the same place!
      • You will have the option to discard the draft, and drafts are automatically discarded when you save your changes.
      • Note: this only covers the main article editor - comment and thread editors are not supported at this time.
      • Update: the 'drafts' feature has since been disabled, due to technical issues
    • KNOWN ISSUE: User role badges are missing in the newly updated Discussions.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: Users can still compose, though not publish, replies to locked Discussions threads.
    • KNOWN ISSUE: Some wikis have incorrect page header theming on light themed wikis with the updated Discussions.
      Loading editor
    • New feature sounds epic. Losing the edit/new page you’ve been working on all day is the worst feeling.

Loading editor
    • Stellar feature!

Loading editor
    • Rappy 4187 wrote:

• NEW FEATURE: We will start rolling out automatic draft saving in the classic editor for both source and visual modes (including when visual mode is disabled).
        • This tool autosaves your planned changes every few seconds, so if your browser crashes or you accidentally close the tab, reopening the editor will bring you back to the same place!
        • You will have the option to discard the draft, and drafts are automatically discarded when you save your changes.
        • Note: this only covers the main article editor - comment and thread editors are not supported at this time.

I've had the chance to test this feature out on a few wikis and it's really great and useful. Looking forward to its global release.

Loading editor
    • I already like this draft feature. Although, frankly, I haven't had any recent issues were this would actually apply. I used to every so often but not recently.

Loading editor
    • Not sure if accidentally closing the tab is a browser-specific problem or not. I know this used to be a problem for me, until a conformation window was introduced eliminating accidentally closing out an edit. Good for the occasional browser crash. I think the more likely occurrence of losing an edit is when the editor refuses to save an edit (gotten into copying large edits before hitting the save button); not sure if this update will protect against that (probably).

Loading editor
    • control + shift + t (or local equivalent) also exists, tho it is nice to have it for other things, like mobile or your browser crashing.

Loading editor

Since there doesn't appear to be a preference to opt-out of this:

This can be disabled by adding *ext.wikia.EditDraftSaving* to your ad blocking extension.

Loading editor
    • Why would you need to opt out of this? Does it slow the browser down, take up too much storage space, or something along those lines?

Loading editor
    • I want an option to opt-out because it kept giving me a draft copy of the page to edit after I made a revert to the page I was editing. I wanted to edit the current version of the page and it keeps bringing me the draft copy, which was an older version of the page. There definitely should be an opt-out feature, and it should definitely be made more evident in the user interface that drafts are being saved.

Loading editor
    • So you can't just hit edit again to clear the draft version?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: So you can't just hit edit again to clear the draft version?

Nope. If I close the tab and try to click 'Edit' again, I get shown the same message and am presented with the draft copy again. The dialog box should give you options like "Continue editing draft" or "Edit the most current version" at the very least. I'm surprised (and frustrated) that this change was simply rolled out rather than offered as an opt-in beta feature.

Loading editor
    • How and where are the drafts saved?

Loading editor
    • So, if you make a change on a page, exit the edit screen (intentionally) to discard the edit, is the draft saved and opened the next time you go to edit the page if someone else hasn't edited it?

Loading editor
    • K6ka wrote: I wanted to edit the current version of the page and it keeps bringing me the draft copy, which was an older version of the page.

This keeps happening for me, too. I can't clear my saved drafts.

Loading editor
    • On the Source editor I get an option to Discard the draft, but I haven't tried other editors.

Loading editor
    • It would be odd to add a feature that lets you make drafts while also rendering you unable to then delete them.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: On the Source editor I get an option to Discard the draft, but I haven't tried other editors.

I only get the option to discard a draft after trying to publish an edit results in an edit conflict. The page doesn't even have to have been edited by another user between the first time I edit it and the second time; it still results in an edit conflict.

Loading editor
    • If you're having trouble with drafts, please make sure to send in a Special:Contact/bug report - it should help us investigate the problems and get them fixed. Thanks!

Loading editor
    • It sounds like there are some issues with drafts sticking around longer than they should regardless of what changes are made. However, out of curiosity, when you say you made a reversion, do you mean you edited the page and changed something back or do you mean you used the revert link in the page history?

Loading editor
    • How can a user purge their own draft edit? Currently if there are intervening edit conflicts, the user will get a pop up warning and instruction to use "show changes" to reveal the changes since the draft was saved, but no way that I can find to purge their own out-dated draft copy or easy way to merge the other changes.

Using the Visual Editor to make a change bypasses the draft but just adds another intervening edit conflict to the draft, essentially ruling out any future source or classic edits to that page by that user.

Saving my (outdated) draft gave me no edit conflict warning, it just saved the old version over top of any more recent edits - including one I made myself in the Visual Editor. So I guess save and undo works to purge my unwanted draft copy, but that's pretty ridiculous.

Fandom ClassicEditor DraftSaving PopupsEnabled

EDIT You need to allow pop-ups from fandom.com to get the following option. I don't let any site use pop ups, sorry Fandom. You need a better method.

Loading editor
    • ImperfectXIII wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: On the Source editor I get an option to Discard the draft, but I haven't tried other editors.

I only get the option to discard a draft after trying to publish an edit results in an edit conflict. The page doesn't even have to have been edited by another user between the first time I edit it and the second time; it still results in an edit conflict.

Same thing, I've deleted everything but my last edit twice now.

Loading editor
    • Good observations. I suggest reporting using Special:Contact/bug. I doubt this is intentional.

Loading editor
    • Rappy 4187 wrote: Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for April 2, 2019:

• KNOWN ISSUE: User role badges are missing in the newly updated Discussions.
      • KNOWN ISSUE: Users can still compose, though not publish, replies to locked Discussions threads.
      • KNOWN ISSUE: Some wikis have incorrect page header theming on light themed wikis with the updated Discussions.

I know it been disabled.... but I’m starting to wish this feature come back..... now since I’m often via my iPad so my browser do or occasionally restart and does make me having to redo same work I’m trying to do.

🤦🏼‍♂️ Sigh.... already missing it...

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.