FANDOM

• Hello all!

We're trying to use the Special:WantedPages to show interested editors what parts of the wiki need to be built and we ran into an issue.

Currently, our Special:WantedPages gives a red link even if an internal link is provided, if said link contains a hashtag.

A specific example: our Special:WantedPages gives 7 links for "Samjasa" and shows a red link.
    However, a link is provided in this form: [[Minor_NPCs#Samjasa|Samjasa]], as you can see here. The internal link also works as intended.

Is there any way to fix this and remove such entries from Special:WantedPages?

Background: we intend to collect "Minor NPCs" on a single page, and only give them their own page if they grow to significant relevance. Still, as many as NPCs as possible should be clickable in a Navbox.

Thank you for your help!

Loading editor
    • That's not the normal behavior, it looks like a bug you should report.

However, I would definitely recommend making Samjasa a redirect to Minor_NPCs#Samjasa, and the same with all the other entries on that list. People tend to navigate via search more than via navboxes, and if you search for Samjasa, it doesn't give the right page suggestion. It doesn't even give Minor NPCs as the top search result.

Loading editor
    • This looks like a bug to me in WhatLinksHere... it shouldn't show links to Samjasa when the link is actually to Minor_NPCs. It's like its using the wrong side of the pipe for the link ([[WhatLinksHere_should_use_this|but_seems_to_be_using_this]]).

I would report it to Special:Contact/bug and have FANDOM staff look into it.

Loading editor
    • Thank you for your replies! I have reported my issue to FANDOM staff.

Loading editor
    • How long ago did you change the page to be a section instead?

Loading editor
    • About 6 days ago, it looks like. So that should be plenty of time for the caches to update. Plus, Special:WhatLinksHere updates almost immediately; so that page definitely shouldn't be showing incorrect results.

Loading editor
    • Ah, then yeah, its probably a bug, since six days is more than enough time for cache to be ruled out.

Loading editor
    • Your reply doesn't show in recent changes?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Your reply doesn't show in recent changes?

Whoops, I forgot I had my bot flag still lol

Loading editor
    • :facepalm:

Loading editor
    • Hello everyone! FANDOM staff has reached out to me meanwhile. The problem was a caching issue after all. The way to fix it was to refresh the cache of the page with the internal link containing the hashtag. To do this, I only need to edit a page and publish without making any changes. Special:WantedPages still shows 7 links for 'Samjasa', but the list under Special:WhatLinksHere/Samjasa is now empty, so I think the entry for Samjasa should disappear with the next automatic update of WantedPages.

Thank you to everybody for the replies!

Loading editor
    • This script can help you with that: w:c:dev:MassNullEdit.

Loading editor
    • It was a caching bug... not just an "issue". Even an old cache should not have done that.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: This script can help you with that: w:c:dev:MassNullEdit.

Thank you! I'm unfamiliar with scripting on the wiki so far (or the Fandom Developers Wiki, which I will look into). Can you recommend where I should start reading up on this?

Loading editor
    • There should be installation and usage instructions on the page you get to after following the link.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.