FANDOM

• The admin Sylvanelite returned, but is denying that he needs help. I've had to undo a thousand or nearly a thousand bad edits that slipped by him during his absence. He's just not active enough to defend the wiki and seems to be in denial.

Do we still have a case for adoption? That's my question. The bureaucrats are all inactive and that route isn't plausible. I'm trying to get through to Sylvanelite with logic, but I'm not sure how it will go. Would we need his support for Admin/B-crat rights?

Loading editor
    • Because he acknowledges the vandalism that happened during his absence of 3.5 months, and because your adoption request was made during that absence, your request is still valid, as far as I'm concerned.

Message me again tomorrow, and I'll complete the adoption. All that I ask is that you not remove Sylvanelite's rights.

Loading editor
    • I would never do that to Sylvanelite. Not only would it be unjust and a vile action, it would be an insult to all the hard work that he has done. Movie and I intend to work with him to better the wiki, with us filling the gaps of his absence and doing the grunt work that he doesn't have time to do and defending it against vandals and false information.

Loading editor
    • I have assured Sylvanelite that we want to collaborate with him in the affairs of the wiki and are not trying to take it over from him. So for me and also for Zane it should be no problem to let him retain his admin powers. Thanks for letting us know, Joe.

Loading editor
    • Sounds good! :)

Loading editor
    • The "vandalism" started on the 23rd of February, not for a period of months. You can validate this by looking at the user's contributions (https://zoids.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Squiddy6001). They do not date back beyond last weekend.

As for the actual request, they made a Forum post on the Zoids Wiki, which I objected to. However, the Forum post was made a day *after* the request for adoption - obviously leaving no time to actually reply.

Loading editor
    • It was made a day after because there were only four known active users and I was using talk pages to gather consensus. I made a post there first, a few minutes before. Even with that under consideration JoePlay's point stands and the wiki still needs help.

Loading editor
    • If the wiki needs help, promoting me to Bureaucrat and then allowing me to grant you guys admin would be a much safer way of doing things.

Loading editor
    • Safer? So you fear being usurped and replaced by us? I've been suspecting that with your wording of your arguments. I'm not completely opposed to us being made Admins and you becoming a Bureaucrat though. It allows us to safeguard the wiki, but honestly I prefer to just let the adoption get completed and we can work together and be able to better the wiki while having the means to promote Content Mods as needed without waiting twelve hours for your response. Honestly, I'm not impressed by your leadership and available time. The wiki just gets by, but it needs major help. Recently, the last day, you seem more interested in denying that there are problems and keeping yourself on top of the metaphorical pyramid of power.

Vandalism by VPN users is a threat. I've helped block over 50 throwaway IPs and accounts within a few days. A wiki being adopted is technically an expression of being unimpressed by a wikis leadership. A vote of no confidence, if you will. You're one person who can't do it all and shouldn't even be trying to. We're here and willing to do the work, but I understandably don't have a lot of confidence in your ability to support us. That's why were seeking more equal user rights to better serve the wiki.

The wikis getting by, but a lot of damage has been done on your watch and my confidence in your leadership is greatly weakened. I wouldn't ever demote you over this, but I'm not convinced of your ability to lead and help us. Movie and I can make the wiki better and we won't be overruling you or cutting you out; we merely seek to have equal rights and help better the wiki. You're a great admin and made a lot of updates, but you can't defend the wiki well enough and it has stagnated and been left under defended and staffed.

Sorry to seem like a jerk, but I decided to say the real point instead of leaving it highly implied. Well, the point for me, anyway.

Loading editor
    • I would also prefer to complete the adoption process. I have heard often enough about admins and bureaucrats who just want to retain their powers and/or don't want other users to share it with them. However those admins just have the goal to remain in power and retain their control over the wiki, not acting in the wiki's best interest. The wiki's best interest would be that there are admins and bureaucrats who are active up to every day, something Zane and I are able to. It is of course understandable that long-term admins feel attached to "their" wiki and want to retain control over it. But if those admins are not active enough, it can be questioned whether it is still in the best interest for the community to only have semi-active admins in power, who are sometimes away for months. There are enough wikis which are poorly managed due to this. And we are more than willing to let you remain in power as an admin, so there is no intention of a "hostile takeover", just the wish for a better organized community.

Loading editor
    • I meant "safer" as in it's a lower surface of attack. One bureaucrat in that sense is better than more in the case that an account gets compromised.

The rest of those replies is frankly, scary. None of those issues have been material on the wiki. That's just scaremongering.

Loading editor
    • Honestly, it seems that you will just deny that the issues are actually issues and dismiss our points without any consideration. I can only hope that once you see proof that our intentions are good and not just lies designed to gain power that you will accept us and we can unite for the wikis betterment.

Loading editor
    • There were no issues in November or December. That's not something I'm trying to hide. Literally anyone can go through the logs and have a look: https://zoids.fandom.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?limit=3000&days=200

All the edits there are ok. The only thing I saw that seemed even remotely questionable, is the creation of a page for "Tracy" from Fuzors. That seemed fair, even if it's orphaned and not stubbed. I certainly wouldn't ban someone for that.

What issues am I missing during that time-frame? I'm not being one-eyed, but I genuinely cannot see what month-long streaks of vandalism you're talking about.

Loading editor
    • I'm speaking of February, specifically. And of the edits of Squiddy6001 and that anon. The wikis vulnerabilities were exposed and it was tragically under defended. If even one of us; Moviejunkie or I, were absent then the wiki could have been mangled and horribly defaced. It isn't month long, but it has the potential to be and that is why we are seeking adoption; because you aren't active enough and there aren't enough people to defend it. As it stands, as regular users, all we could do at this time is play whack-a-mole and undo edits.

Real problems have happened and vulnerabilities were exposed and all you want to say is "All is well." It can happen again and you've proven incapable of stopping bad edits even during your periods of "activity".

Loading editor
    • You're fundamentally lying.

You stated: "I've had to undo a thousand or nearly a thousand bad edits that slipped by him during his absence."

And this is categorically false. The user only made 64 edits, and this was only a few days ago. The IP addresses you banned are not all vandals. For example, 202.89.85.117 was banned for adding the correct Model Number to the Knuckle Kong page.

I'm not even sure which "50 throwaway accounts" you banned.

The only edits that you've made that borderline "thousands" is the hundred or so pages you removed from the "Hero Zoids" category. This is standard editing - not vandalism.

Loading editor
    • The fifty throwaway accounts were on Supernatural wiki where I'm an Admin and a Bureaucrat and I was citing them as an example of what can plague and horribly deface the severely understaffed Zoids wiki.

The hundreds of edits on the Hero Zoids category were what I classify as bad edits; bias by calling ambiguous people the heroes. In the battle story the Republic aren't made out to be the heroes. You can check out my contributions and offset to 500 for more proof and more false categorization. Specifically from October 10th, 2018. The crux of my argument still remains on that point.

JoePlay, I'm ready to complete the adoption and get the wiki into shape. Please promote Moviejunk2009 and I.

Loading editor
    • I was hoping that this situation would not devolve into an argument. I've always held the opinion that having more than one active admin is always a good thing. Even the "best" admin can't watch over a wiki 24/7 to stop vandalism as it's happening. Zane and Moviejunkie have stated, more than once, that they have no intention of usurping Sylvanelite, but only wish to strenghten the wiki's admin team.

As a show of equality, in addition to completing the adoption, would either of you have any objection to me also giving bureaucrat rights to Sylvanelite? Of course, this would be done with the agreement that you three work together for the betterment of the wiki, instead of against each other.

Loading editor
    • Despite our recent argument, I have no objection. He needs to see that we aren't after power to lord over him and he's also earned it.

Loading editor
    • I'm also absolutely fine with Sylvanelite getting bureaucrat powers as well. Three bureaucrats are great for a wiki with more than 400 members, which is likely to grow further due to the eventual launch of Zoids Wild in the west. So whenever one or even two bureaucrats aren't online, the third bureaucrat still can step in. Sylvanelite should realize that we see him as an equal and are not trying to usurp him.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for responding. I just completed the adoption and gave bureaucrat rights to Sylvanelite. I wish all three of you good luck with the wiki!

Loading editor
    • Thanks. We'll do our best.

Loading editor
    • Thanks. Let's hope that we can make Zoids Wiki a great place.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.