FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for February 25, 2019:

• FIXED: We will fix an issue that could cause Blog:Recent posts to stop listing the newest posts on particularly busy wikis.
    • NOTABLE: We will be updating the Ace editor to version 1.4.2. This is the code editor used on CSS, JS, Infobox and Lua pages. This update should allow proper functionality across more devices.

Additionally, a number of features have been added to Portable Infoboxes:

• <infobox type="foo"> will add an HTML class of type-foo to the infobox output. This is intended so that what an infobox is describing can be more logically identified, rather than using themes designed for how it looks. So, for example, all infoboxes describing a Pokémon (with the CSS selector .type-pokemon) can share a layout from CSS, regardless of whether they are .pi-theme-fire, .pi-theme-water, etc.
    • All Portable Infobox elements that have an input of source will now render in HTML with that parameter name in a data-attribute, such as data-source="ATK". This will allow you to write CSS or jQuery selectors such as .pi-item[data-source="ATK"] to style and identify individual items. Used in combination with type, this should eliminate the need for nth-of-type style selection and opens up other possibilities for design and interactivity.
    • The new name parameter allows explicit selection of elements whether they accept a source input or not, including identification of <title>, <group>, <data>, <header>, <image>, and <navigation>. Much like the data-source data-attribute, <data name="bar"> can be selected as .pi-item[data-item-name="bar"].
    • Data items and groups can now be structured in tabbed panels, which allow more flexibility and smarter data display on desktop and mobile views. Each <panel> — as a child of the root <infobox> element — can be labeled (with <label>) and one or more <section> elements to make a tab set. Any element that could otherwise be a child of <infobox> can be a child of <section>. This should reduce clutter and the necessity for groups of infoboxes on pages, while structuring infoboxes in more dynamic ways. An example can be found on Forgotten Realms Wiki.
      Loading editor
    • Nice update.

Loading editor
    • Especially glad to hear of the Ace update - will be much appreciated by w:c:dev

In general, a great update; big thanks to everyone involved! 🎉

Loading editor
    • 👌

Loading editor
    • Ace is a big one for me, great to hear it's been updated

Loading editor
    • "this should eliminate the need for nth-of-type style selection" - I love you.

Loading editor
    • Best update I've seen in a long time. Lots of work for me to do on my wikis' PI code now, though! :P

Loading editor
    • Good updates! But hard to be translate. Now coding easier!

中文翻译版/Read zh ver

Loading editor
    • Those Portable Infobox features...interesting stuff indeed; I'll especially want to take a closer look at the tabbed panel structuring, see if I can take advantage of it. For those wanting a more direct link, here's the Creature Template for that infobox on the showcased Forgotten Realms article.

The HTML class and new name parameter I imagine will do some good (and, as Banarama quipped, will prompt a bit of PI code tweaking/fiddling on wiki ends, hah)--I don't think I've used nth-type selectors for infoboxes much, but I've definitely used them for designing tables before and know how finicky/bothersome it can be to wrangle them... so I assume this eliminated need (if it works) will come to the relief of more than one person...

Loading editor
    • I'm very proud of the Ace Editor Update. Now I can at least do something while using touchscreen. Thanks for it!!!! I was waiting for it since late-2018

Loading editor
    • Ace still has some issues tho, like the settings page, the textarea height after expanding, not highlighting everything, and changing how it highlights stuff based on if your viewing the page or editing. (tho now that I think about it idk if ace does syntaxhighlighting when you're viewing the page.)

Loading editor
    • Those problems aren't new, though, right? I remember it had problems like that before the upgrade.

Loading editor
    • @Sophie Yeah it highlights in view and edit modes.

@Fandyllic No, some old problems remain, like the textarea height mentioned above

Loading editor
    • Is Ace used all the time or just when you have syntax highlighting on?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:
      Ace still has some issues tho, like the settings page, the textarea height after expanding, not highlighting everything, and changing how it highlights stuff based on if your viewing the page or editing. (tho now that I think about it idk if ace does syntaxhighlighting when you're viewing the page.)

Ace is separate from the syntax highlighter, though admittedly Ace's highlighter can not fully understand very complex code or mixed code languages (such as wikitext inside XML); these is a typical issue for code editors in general. The textarea height after expansion should be dynamic based on screen size.

I'm not familiar with the settings page you're referring to, though. Could you elaborate?

Loading editor
    • FishTank wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:
      Ace still has some issues tho, like the settings page, the textarea height after expanding, not highlighting everything, and changing how it highlights stuff based on if your viewing the page or editing. (tho now that I think about it idk if ace does syntaxhighlighting when you're viewing the page.)

Ace is separate from the syntax highlighter, though admittedly Ace's highlighter can not fully understand very complex code or mixed code languages (such as wikitext inside XML); these is a typical issue for code editors in general. The textarea height after expansion should be dynamic based on screen size.

I'm not familiar with the settings page you're referring to, though. Could you elaborate?

Ye, I was thinking it was separate, but I wasn't 100% sure. https://chito.ge/3Tupa58.png (viewing) vs https://chito.ge/3ZAz1m2.png (editing), plus https://chito.ge/12jggSZ.png (viewing and editing). Also https://chito.ge/3jCj9pn.png (editing) vs https://chito.ge/2pY8bTs.png (viewing). Basically the highlighting is different based on if you're editing or viewing, plus it not highlighting everything. Huh, because it doesn't, hence why I created FixAceWidemode.

Act like you're typing in ace, and then press control + comma.

Also the extra two lines that end up getting added in the editor.

Loading editor
    • The odd in, ex highlighting has always bugged me. Glad to see some of that fixed with the Ace update. The odd highlighting is caused by this not being `\b`. There may be a ticket for this already, but a brief search did not reveal one.

Loading editor
    • Rappy 4187 wrote: The odd in, ex highlighting has always bugged me. Glad to see some of that fixed with the Ace update. The odd highlighting is caused by this not being `\b`. There may be a ticket for this already, but a brief search did not reveal one.

Ah.

Loading editor
    • I would like to have a ACE editor toggle button on the edit page.

It is well known that ACE editors are not friendly to iOS devices (like iPad). So I have to turn off it in Special:Preference. But I'd love to see it in the desktop. Then I'll go to the preference page again. Again and again and again... Ah, just turn it off, it's too troublesome. LOL

Although this is not a very common situation, but if you can, I hope you can provide the switching functions.

Loading editor
    • 机智的小鱼君 wrote: I would like to have a ACE editor toggle button on the edit page.

It is well known that ACE editors are not friendly to iOS devices (like iPad). So I have to turn off it in Special:Preference. But I'd love to see it in the desktop. Then I'll go to the preference page again. Again and again and again... Ah, just turn it off, it's too troublesome. LOL

Although this is not a very common situation, but if you can, I hope you can provide the switching functions.

It works fine on iPad for scrolling. What thing is not friendly? Scrolling?

Loading editor
    • Is it possible to use the new .pi-item[data-source=""]/[data-item-name=""] to style elements within smart groups?

Loading editor
    • Metro Nekusasu wrote:
      Is it possible to use the new .pi-item[data-source=""]/[data-item-name=""] to style elements within smart groups?
      Yes, it is.
        Loading editor
    • so I will be in

Loading editor
    • I seem to be having issues getting my groups to behave properly. Do you know of any infoboxes that use .pi-item within their smart groups so I could get some idea of what the syntax should look like?

Loading editor
    • If you are using the CSS to change the width of smart group items elements, that's going to require using !important to override the specificity of having that width defined in the HTML element itself.

Loading editor
    • Metro Nekusasu, Fngplg and I have already been trying to help you with this issue on this other thread. If you feel that you want to get new input on the issue, it would be better to start a new thread rather than tack your separate issue onto a loosely related thread.

Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote:

机智的小鱼君 wrote: I would like to have a ACE editor toggle button on the edit page.

It works fine on iPad for scrolling. What thing is not friendly? Scrolling?

It doesn't work fine on Android mobile devices, too. It's difficult to scroll with the thin scrollbar on the right. The textarea can't scroll when swiping on it, too.

Loading editor
    • Since this is an old thread, I would suggest submitting this directly to staff via Special:Contact/feedback.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.