FANDOM

• Yeah... Why are they actually mirgirating Sonic wiki and Club Penguin wiki to fandom.com?

oh yaay. here we go again.

Loading editor
    • The reason why Touhou Wiki moved on to a new host is because they were afraid of Wikia's Greed plan.

but yeah. I'm a touhou fan and Sonic fan and formerly a Club Penguin fan.

Loading editor
    • Please read the help page for more information on why the domain names are changing. If you have any concerns or feedback, you can contact staff.

Loading editor
    • Why are we even surprised at this point? We voiced our irritation when they took away our announcement features and they promptly locked the thread to prevent us from further criticizing their decisions.

At this point, I doubt they will even admit their mistakes after they go bankrupt.

Loading editor
    • Or if you read what others say and truely want to grow your wiki or wikia as a users or admin or bureaucrat or discussion mod chat mod etc  then it's only in url link of https no where else as a user so in saying think about it what makes your community grow? Answer your admins your users who know rules an so on to editor find mistakes fix them ban vandals spammers etc from chat etc to make your community grow in to a proper popular fandom wikia alright?

So you know it's what makes your community evolve alright you don't want your community domained forevermore do you? Then evolve it an you'll see what i mean.      

Also it's only for url change nothing really changes much just wikia.,com to fandom.com here is a example of that:

https://monsterhaunter.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_haunter_Wiki as you can all see it's been done just recently so as said any arguments as RickGT said take it to the staff alright.     

Loading editor
    • um allright.

Loading editor
    • Not that I'm a huge fan of fandom.com, but what's so great about wikia.com? Of course WoWWiki will have kind of dumb domain of wowwiki.fandom.com which makes it sound like there are a bunch of fans of WoWWiki who made a wiki about it, but wowwiki.wikia.com just sounds redundant.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Not that I'm a huge fan of fandom.com, but what's so great about wikia.com? Of course WoWWiki will have kind of dumb domain of wowwiki.fandom.com which makes it sound like there are a bunch of fans of WoWWiki who made a wiki about it, but wowwiki.wikia.com just sounds redundant.

To be completely honest, I think the main reason why wikia.com is a better URL name for them is because is still keeps the identity of what it is, an encyclopedia. fandom.com could sound like a fan site. In my opinion, this change doesn't really matter, because you can always request a URL change for your wikis. (e.g. starwars.wikia.com → starwars-wiki.fandom.com).

Loading editor
    • Yeah, starwars-wiki.fandom.com isn't significantly better than starwars.wikia.com. Although people may associate wikia.com with encyclopedias, they could also associate fandom.com with them if FANDOM didn't keep pushing click-bait and social media crap at the expense of encyclopedic content... and they are, despite what PR they might say. They have done almost nothing to give encyclopedic wikis access to feedback or influence click-bait article writers and the integration of wikis with feeds and Discussions is super minimal.

Loading editor
    • I know that since we have no other choice other than being migrated to fandom.com, the only somewhat working way you can keep your wiki's identity is by changing the URL and adding -wiki to it. Again, wikia.com does sound better, but adding -wiki will sound better than fandom.com.

Loading editor
    • The name change from wikia to fandom is something really minor when it comes to functionality and is almost negligible. While its still something trivial, wikia has been pretty consistent in forcing bullshit onto us that actually reduces functionality. If their previous action wasn't the icing on the cake, this could be one for the OP.

Trainer Micah wrote: Or if you read what others say and truely want to grow your wiki or wikia as a users or admin or bureaucrat or discussion mod chat mod etc  then it's only in url link of https no where else as a user so in saying think about it what makes your community grow? Answer your admins your users who know rules an so on to editor find mistakes fix them ban vandals spammers etc from chat etc to make your community grow in to a proper popular fandom wikia alright?

So you know it's what makes your community evolve alright you don't want your community domained forevermore do you? Then evolve it an you'll see what i mean.      

We don't really need your snarky comments about how we can improve our communities. We know that we're using their platform as customers for free, but if their behavior has been anti-consumer for years now, not all of us will stay quiet about it. Enough is enough!

Loading editor
    • To answer the original question, Wikia (which has been renamed Fandom) is changing the websites of all wikis created on this site from (wiki's name).wikia.com to (wiki's name).fandom.com. All URLs with "wikia" in them will still work. Why is this happening? Nobody knows.

Loading editor
    • "Nobody knows" ?

As I have posted above, if you want to know more on the domain name change decision, please read this help page and if you have any questions/concerns, you can contact staff.

Loading editor
    • Special to all i editored above thought i'd let you know. Anyway as you said RickGT any further arguments take it to the staff alright.   

Loading editor
    • PSI Seven wrote: To answer the original question, Wikia (which has been renamed Fandom) is changing the websites of all wikis created on this site from (wiki's name).wikia.com to (wiki's name).fandom.com. All URLs with "wikia" in them will still work. Why is this happening? Nobody knows.

Plenty of people know.

Short version: ad sales.

Longer version: it's difficult to sell the concept of user generated content to advertising agencies, especially as online ad sales aren't as easy as they used to be. Adpocalypse is real. Companies are getting pickier as to where they advertise.

The concept of a gathering place for all "fandom" is easier to sell than being a "wiki". Like it or not, this is what's going to happen. Somebody's got to pay the bills.

Loading editor
    • I don't see why a URL change is a problem. I'm a contributor at Noblesse wiki (https://noblesse.fandom.com/wiki/Noblesse_Wiki), which was moved over to fandom URL, in October, with the test group and so far I've not noticed any negative side-effects due to the change. I was skeptical at first and initially after the change happened, my wiki was in the top 3 results when searching for 'Noblesse wiki', down two places, and now when searching for the same, it's back on top of the search results. I don't really see this as a terrible move and I'm looking forward to seeing 'Lessa wiki' move over to the new URL.

Loading editor
    • Because fandom wants to appeal to weaboos, have you noticed all the trending articles are about anime.

Loading editor
    • TheBowlOfBeshbarmak wrote:

Because fandom wants to appeal to weaboos, have you noticed all the trending articles are about anime.

Actually no.

Loading editor
    • Lol I’m your average idiot

Loading editor
      1. What does that have to do with a name change? The term "Fandom" is not tied to animanga...
      2. I'm looking through trending articles at the moment and I'm seeing maybe one Dragon Ball article, the rest is all movies and games and Disney.
        Loading editor
    • What about the language subdomains? The wiki creation form doesn't allow me to set a wiki's domain to, for example, it.wikiname.fandom.com for an italian wiki or de.wikiname.fandom com, the only option is to have the language slashes after the domain, such as wikiname.fandom.com/it. Are these subdomains disappearing with the migration to fandom? Will the domains from migrating wikis change accordingly, or will they keep their language subdomain?

Loading editor
    • The language subdomains are going away after the migration. The creation form will be creating wikis with the language in article path after everything has been successfully migrated.

Loading editor
    • And while that is unrelated to the fandom.com move - it's got to do with https licenses - it's just done at the same time.

Loading editor
    • I am assuming the OP just mis-spoke, but I would like to point out that they are not moving the wikis to a new host. They are simply changing the domain name.

Also, Wikia is not changing its name to FANDOM. The company itself is keeping Wikia as its name and simply branding this particular service as FANDOM.

Lastly, not all wikia.com are getting moved to fandom.com; some are getting moved to wikia.org. To be honest though, I don't see how they qualify for the .org part; unless they are going to change the funding structure for those sites.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

PSI Seven wrote: To answer the original question, Wikia (which has been renamed Fandom) is changing the websites of all wikis created on this site from (wiki's name).wikia.com to (wiki's name).fandom.com. All URLs with "wikia" in them will still work. Why is this happening? Nobody knows.

Plenty of people know.

Short version: ad sales.

Longer version: it's difficult to sell the concept of user generated content to advertising agencies, especially as online ad sales aren't as easy as they used to be. Adpocalypse is real. Companies are getting pickier as to where they advertise.

The concept of a gathering place for all "fandom" is easier to sell than being a "wiki". Like it or not, this is what's going to happen. Somebody's got to pay the bills.

That makes sense.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

...some are getting moved to wikia.org. To be honest though, I don't see how they qualify for the .org part; unless they are going to change the funding structure for those sites.

Yes, this is suspicious, since just because the wikis are getting a .org top level domain, they aren't magically becoming non-profit sites, which is what .org is supposed to represent.

If FANDOM staff posts another blog about this we should ask about it.

Loading editor
    • Since .org means non-profit, will this automatically mean that they won't have advertisements, like Trending FANDOM Articles and Fan Feed?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Yes, this is suspicious, since just because the wikis are getting a .org top level domain, they aren't magically becoming non-profit sites, which is what .org is supposed to represent.

If FANDOM staff posts another blog about this we should ask about it.

I asked this question in the councilor Slack chat, hopefully I'll get an answer I can share

Loading editor
    • "According to the ICANN Dashboard (Domain Name) report, the composition of the TLD is diverse, including cultural institutions, associations, sports teams, religious, and civic organizations, open-source software projects, schools, environmental initiatives, social, and fraternal organizations, health organizations, legal services, as well as clubs, and community-volunteer groups." - Wikipedia

And as per FishTank "While there is no specific registration restriction to the .org TLD, the communities moving to wikia.org largely fall under what one would consider traditional .org sites. Advocacy, historical, political, religious, etc."

Loading editor
    • This one would not...

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.org

Excerpt:

History

The domain ".org" was one of the original top-level domains, with com, us, edu, gov, mil and net, established in January 1985. It was originally intended for non-profit organizations or organizations of a non-commercial character that did not meet the requirements for other gTLDs.

Loading editor
    • That is what we are trying to understand. For sure, it should mean the removal of ads. However, I think Fan Feed and Trending FANDOM Articles are a bit of a gray area. They aren't ads in the traditional sense; but their clear intent is no drive users to ad-supported, for-profit sites.

As Fandyllic pointed out, .org is not associated with a particular type of content. The same is true for many top domains (with a few notable exceptions). Most domains are more closely associated to the type of entity/organization. While wikis are encyclopedic in nature (although Wikia's "modernization" seems to be moving more towards social media instead), there is no doubt that Wikia is for-profit; which goes against the intended purpose of the .org top domain. You can see a list of top domains here.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

That is what we are trying to understand. For sure, it should mean the removal of ads. However, I think Fan Feed and Trending FANDOM Articles are a bit of a gray area. They aren't ads in the traditional sense; but their clear intent is no drive users to ad-supported, for-profit sites.

I believe the bolded section above is a description of an classic, commercial, web advertisement.

Loading editor
    • Well, in my mind, it is a gray area because the sites aren't directly trying to sell anything.

Loading editor
    • Well, most commercial web sites aren't directly trying to sell anything. You just need to adjust your gray detector.

Loading editor
    • Honestly just dumb. Fanon wikis sound dumb now.

Ninjago-fanon.fandom.com

That is repetetive to even read in your mind.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message