FANDOM


  • In 2019 we’ll be taking a fresh look at Community Central, giving a good deal of thought to what’s working well and what isn’t working well. Central is a place where users can get help from others, read news about Fandom, find useful information and socialize with one another.

    As an experiment, we’re going to disable the Chat feature until at least the end of February. We would like to see what happens on Central without Chat enabled all of the time.

    We’ll be interested to hear how all of you feel about this change as the time goes on. How do the social aspects of Community Central feel without Chat? The perspective of those who never used Chat will be just as interesting as the perspective of Chat regulars.

    We do plan to continue with the weekly staff office hours on Thursdays at from 1-2pm Pacific time. Chat will be enabled during that hour and for a short time before and after. We will likely use an announcement to remind Community Central users about office hours.

    I would like to stress that this change is an experiment. There are many opinions about Chat, both as a feature and its role here on Central. We encourage everyone to keep an open mind and see how things do or do not change on Central in the next two months. We’re excited to see what the learnings are!

    For the duration of this experiment, some of the existing chat moderators will be changed to discussions moderators.

      Loading editor
    • Alright. I guess we won't finally have clueless dater kids and spammers in the chat, anymore. Anyways, this seems to be an interesting experiment. My only concern is what will happen to chat moderators like Sophie and Mendes after enabling the chat again (in case if it will)? Will they back as chat moderators again two months later?

        Loading editor
    • Is this experiment related to that drama-llama thread on Central?

        Loading editor
    • when will the chat be disabled?

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Is this experiment related to that drama-llama thread on Central?

      I really think so. Because that thread was posted like a little earlier.

        Loading editor
    • This is exciting! Though, I wonder if you're going to kick all users from chat after Office Hours end, since disabling Chat does not automatically do that.

        Loading editor
    • Personally, I feel like chat is an important part in Community Central. I know this is an experiment, but I have met many friends and people in chat, and I feel like it is a great way to join new wikis as well. I just feel like it it the easiest way to actually find people and new things to do, considering I spend my time there if nobody on my other wikis is online.

      Regardless, I am excited to see how this experiment turns out.

        Loading editor
    • Sounds interesting. I rarely visit chat but it'll be interesting to observe the wiki activity as time goes on to see what effects removing chat has on it.

        Loading editor
    • Applemasterexpert
      Applemasterexpert removed this reply because:
      Never mind.
      17:26, January 4, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Anonminati
      Anonminati removed this reply because:
      oops
      17:29, January 4, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Anonminati
      Anonminati removed this reply because:
      Two times.
      17:30, January 4, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Then what will happen to those users whose timezone is different?

        Loading editor
    • Nooooo but the chats one of the things I mostly enjoy here!

        Loading editor
    • Chat is an important part of the social aspect on Community Central and I don't think the wiki would be the same without it. It allows users to seek help in a more relaxed environment than other alternatives, such as the forums, and brings about a sense of unity with the other CC editors. With that being said, it also has a lot of issues (trolls, social drama, etc) and it will be interesting to see how this experiment folds out.

        Loading editor
    • Golfpecks256 wrote: Sounds interesting. I rarely visit chat but it'll be interesting to observe the wiki activity as time goes on to see what effects removing chat has on it.

      As we all know that mostly Wikians use discord, then if someone needs help then they will use discord. And if someone has not a discord account then probably they will post a lot of messages on the users' message wall after disabling the chat feature.

        Loading editor
    • Jamesb1 wrote:
      when will the chat be disabled?

      We'll let the news settle in over the weekend and then disable it on Monday.

        Loading editor
    • I personally don't use the chat, mostly because I'm on an abandoned wiki and have only ever had one on one conversations before. Going into a chat, to see 20+ users, especially when I don't know them, is rather intimidating.

        Loading editor
    • Will the chats for Community Central in other languages also be disabled? Or does this change only apply to English CC?

      Also, will we know when chat will be disabled before the change takes effect?

        Loading editor
    • Sebastian Clarke wrote:
      I personally don't use the chat, mostly because I'm on an abandoned wiki and have only ever had one on one conversations before. Going into a chat, to see 20+ users, especially when I don't know them, is rather intimidating.

      Most of those 20 users don't speak. 

        Loading editor
    • Tabuu5 wrote:

      Sebastian Clarke wrote:
      I personally don't use the chat, mostly because I'm on an abandoned wiki and have only ever had one on one conversations before. Going into a chat, to see 20+ users, especially when I don't know them, is rather intimidating.

      Most of those 20 users don't speak. 

      Exactly, which makes it even more daunting.

        Loading editor
    • Anonminati wrote:

      As we all know that mostly Wikians use discord, then if someone needs help then they will use discord. And if someone has not a discord account then probably they will post a lot of messages on the users' message wall after disabling the chat feature.

      I honestly don't use Discord. Yet I am curious if this experiment will go well.

        Loading editor
    • Tabuu5 wrote:
      Personally, I feel like chat is an important part in Community Central. I know this is an experiment, but I have met many friends and people in chat, and I feel like it is a great way to join new wikis as well. I just feel like it it the easiest way to actually find people and new things to do, considering I spend my time there if nobody on my other wikis is online.

      Regardless, I am excited to see how this experiment turns out.

      TheKorraFanatic wrote:
       Chat is an important part of the social aspect on Community Central and I don't think the wiki would be the same without it. It allows users to seek help in a more relaxed environment than other alternatives, such as the forums, and brings about a sense of unity with the other CC editors. With that being said, it also has a lot of issues (trolls, social drama, etc) and it will be interesting to see how this experiment folds out.

      We appreciate the optimistic curiosity expressed here. We feel the same. It will be interesting to see how the other parts of Central change (or don't change) with the absence of chat. This is a good way to judge its value and utility and see what we need for the future.

        Loading editor
    • This iQstlijku wrote:
      Will the chats for Community Central in other languages also be disabled? Or does this change only apply to English CC?

      Also, will we know when chat will be disabled before the change takes effect?

      Great question. This is only a change on English Community Central. We'll make the change on Monday January 7.

        Loading editor
    • Anonminati wrote:
      Then what will happen to those users whose time is different?

      I'm not sure what you mean. It's true that the office hours time is not optimal for every time zone. We are open to adding other instances of office hours during the week if there is a desire for that.

        Loading editor
    • what time will the chat be disabled

        Loading editor
    • Why is it being disabled? There has never been any issues or complaints about it

        Loading editor
    • 87.115.203.255 wrote: Why is it being disabled? There has never been any issues or complaints about it

      I think you haven't read this.

        Loading editor
    • I will miss you community chat! But you lived way beyond your expiration date bro. It was about time. 😂 Jokes aside I think it's great that FANDOM is doing this experiment. Good luck.

        Loading editor
    • I personally think this is long overdue, rarely have I benefited from Chat the few times I’ve used it, but from watching the drama that spills forth from that place & the strain it places upon some of the Crew that I know, it seems to have done little good at the cost of major detriment.

      Rather, I would love to see the Chat Moderator team re-applied to the Wiki in its entirety, namely its social areas such as comment sections (which have been spammed & overly toxic), as Discussions Moderators. It seems a considerably more productive area for them to be in, in my opinion, establishing civility in areas where you might actually succeed in the attempt & do some good.

        Loading editor
    • Wait if the chat is being closed does that mean that the roleplay chats are being closed too???

        Loading editor
    • No, this only applies to EN-Community Central chat.

        Loading editor
    • Oh phew

        Loading editor
    • Even if this doesn’t affect me much, CCC is a help chat. Well, I guess threads could be helpful too, but it takes time to reply to threads. I hope it might have a good impact though.

      Needless to say, it sounds like a fun experiment. CC won’t be the same as we know, but since it isn’t permanent, I am not as worried.

        Loading editor
    • FANDOM's idea of "taking a fresh look": Disable chat.

      I don't get it.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      FANDOM's idea of "taking a fresh look": Disable chat.

      I don't get it.

      It's an experiment, in order to see what it would be like. This isn't an entire new look they are putting on.

        Loading editor
    • Chat should be gone from everywhere. I'm curious to see how this will affect Central

        Loading editor
    • Sounds like an interesting idea. I never quite understood how chat could be effectively used on this wiki given the subject matter. The only thing I have ever used it for is to notify an admin when they happen to be hanging in chat and some vandalism has been sitting around for a bit.

      However, I disagree with the idea that chat is not useful for any wiki. Gaming wikis definitely have a use for them; although some have a Discord server anyways. I guess it is better suited for smaller gaming communities.

        Loading editor
    • It is an interesting idea, but I don't believe closing chat will fix anything but simply be running away from the issue.

      The chat is easier for new members to come and get help, users fresh to the site don't always know how to use the forums or even how to find them but it's easy for them to get into chat.

      Honestly, while it's just an experiment, it may not be the best of ideas especially for that amount of time.

        Loading editor
    • Hey how can you delete your pms?

        Loading editor
    • I've just tried chat for the first time, and it was actually a lot of fun. Don't know why, it's taken me as long as it has. As someone who is on an abandoned wiki currently, the chat room here is far from abandoned and I think it's a great way to meet people from other communities and make new friends. It'll be sad to see it closed down, even temporarily, that said, Good Luck with your experiment.

        Loading editor
    • DekuWantsACookie wrote: Hey how can you delete your pms?

      Chat messages disappear when no one is viewing them anymore. That goes for pm as well. There is no record kept so there is no need for a delete function.

        Loading editor
    • I suspect the initial message was primarily spin. FANDOM probably doesn't like maintaining chat and doesn't want to fix any bugs, so this is just a trial in order to kill it.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      I suspect the initial message was primarily spin. FANDOM probably doesn't like maintaining chat and doesn't want to fix any bugs, so this is just a trial in order to kill it.

      I dount your suspicions.

        Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea
      Brandon Rhea removed this reply because:
      Spam
      23:35, January 4, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Brandon Rhea
      Brandon Rhea removed this reply because:
      Spam
      23:35, January 4, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Brandon Rhea
      Brandon Rhea removed this reply because:
      Removing since the comments it responded to were removed
      23:36, January 4, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Annabeth and Percy
      Annabeth and Percy removed this reply because:
      .
      00:21, January 5, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Well, turning this decent site into a social media platform was begging for disaster. The staff don't see a way out of this, so that's probably why they're deciding to nix chat. Everyone is moving to discord anyways, and staff doesn't feel like making an actual effort to make chat less buggy.

      Great going guys, you're slowly killing off your audience. When the new people move their wikis elsewhere, are you going to blanket ban them too? If you're trying to run a site into a ground, this is exactly how it's done.

        Loading editor
    • I believe that the quality of CCC (users who spam or people who try to date, conversations, some of the moderation) has been deteroriating for a while now. I don't think that a little side conversation would do too much harm to a help chat, but it seems to have spiraled out of control, especially recently. It got to the point where I didn't see too much help going on anymore, at least when I was on. (I don't visit too often anymore; correct me if I'm wrong.) I hope that this change will, at the very least, help CCC become a healthier environment. I'm interested to see the outcomes of this experiment.

        Loading editor
    • Seems interesting. I think I'll return and see how this experiment plays out.

        Loading editor
    • Okay... guess I can't ask for help (or at least privately) until the end of February.

      If you ever think of doing it permanently (no chat forever) I wish for a message wall thing where only the one who sent the message the the message wall owner can see the message.

        Loading editor
    • Sock Hater wrote: Okay... guess I can't ask for help (or at least privately) until the end of February.

      If you ever think of doing it permanently (no chat forever) I wish for a message wall thing where only the one who sent the message the the message wall owner can see the message.

      That sounds a little hard to implement and I don't think they are doing it permanently. It is just an experiment. There's also emails, Discord DMs and Special:Contact.

        Loading editor
    • BertH wrote:
      This iQstlijku wrote:
      Will the chats for Community Central in other languages also be disabled? Or does this change only apply to English CC?

      Also, will we know when chat will be disabled before the change takes effect?

      Great question. This is only a change on English Community Central. We'll make the change on Monday January 7.

      now i really wish i wasn't english

        Loading editor
    • the most widely used language in the world, my friend. you'll be grateful someday

        Loading editor
    • Cheeseskates wrote: the most widely used language in the world, my friend. you'll be grateful someday

      It's second, m8. Mandarin Chinese has 1.1 billion. =]

        Loading editor
    • Jackninja5DipperGravityFalls wrote:

      Cheeseskates wrote: the most widely used language in the world, my friend. you'll be grateful someday

      It's second, m8. Mandarin Chinese has 1.1 billion. =]

      Actually, a decent number of sources place English as 3rd; 2nd goes to Spanish. But this is all beside the point.

        Loading editor
    • Jackninja5DipperGravityFalls wrote:

      Cheeseskates wrote: the most widely used language in the world, my friend. you'll be grateful someday

      It's second, m8. Mandarin Chinese has 1.1 billion. =]

      Though I am aware of everyone's capabilities of research here, I wanted to put it here so some don't *have* to or refuse to do critical thinking.

      Mandarin Chinese is the most used language but only because of China's population. Mandarin Chinese does not spread far from its motherland and is not "widely" used.

      English, however, is used in a variety of countries, many of which have as an official and majorly used language natively. The list of countries is even grander if we include countries having English as the official but minorly used language.

      Furthermore, English is the most studied language in the world according to Point 7, where this chart shows the number of learners is 1.5 billion people, 20% of the world's population.

      It's pretty fascinating. Should probably go back on topic for this thread, though, since it's not about English. Point being is to be glad you know and speak English as a first language. It's a blessing in disguise.


      The idea for this experiment is good, but I'm curious on what FANDOM expects to see. Would regular chatters be angry, sad, neutral? With the advent and widespread use of w:c:dev:DiscordIntegrator, would people mind the lack of Wikia's chat service with such an alternative (among other confounding variables)? Is the lack of a chat meant to boost general forum activity?

      Knowing the purpose of the experiment and the expected result of it would be interesting itself, though I expect to also see this being answered after the end of February.

        Loading editor
    • rip chat. Pretty neutral on this experiment, but it saves the chat some drama and it could help admins (if this really is going to be effective) become more alert and aware on the wiki when something is happening. I suggest (if CC hasn't already done this) is also installing webhooks for the wiki on a discord server so that way, staff can track each and every user edit or account creation. That way if an admin can't get to CC at the moment and they're afk, they can go on discord and monitor everything on the discord server and whenever disruption is being caused, an admin can simply click on the link to the user and the thread or account and take immediate action from there. It takes very little time, and it's effctive for the bigger wikis in which I contribute to.

      Sadly, the only thin I'm word about is 1, I'm going to have to ask questions on the forums from now on which usually takes forever to get a response from, and 2, I won't be able to live chat with friends anymore for a while.

        Loading editor
    • Popstar792 wrote: I suggest (if CC hasn't already done this) is also installing webhooks for the wiki on a discord server so that way, staff can track each and every user edit or account creation. That way if an admin can't get to CC at the moment and they're afk, they can go on discord and monitor everything on the discord server and whenever disruption is being caused, an admin can simply click on the link to the user and the thread or account and take immediate action from there. It takes very little time, and it's effctive for the bigger wikis in which I contribute to.

      CC already has such a system in the Discord server for reporting stuff.

        Loading editor
    • GlowingNormality wrote:

      BertH wrote:
      This iQstlijku wrote:
      Will the chats for Community Central in other languages also be disabled? Or does this change only apply to English CC?

      Also, will we know when chat will be disabled before the change takes effect?

      Great question. This is only a change on English Community Central. We'll make the change on Monday January 7.

      now i really wish i wasn't english

      The EN CC is the only one with a full chat. The ES CC used to be like that but they lost a lot of users.

        Loading editor
    • Cheeseskates wrote: ...

      ...Is the lack of a chat meant to boost general forum activity?

      ...

      Given that Wikia is already replacing Forum with Discussions, I seriously doubt that is the reason.


      Popstar792 wrote: ...I suggest (if CC hasn't already done this) is also installing webhooks for the wiki on a discord server so that way, staff can track each and every user edit or account creation.

      ...

      I don't understand how this would be different from Special:RecentChanges. Could you explain a bit more? Also, account creation is a global thing; CC admins would not be the appropriate group to notify about that.

        Loading editor
    • That is basically Special:RecentChanges, but on Discord instead of the actual RecentChanges page.

        Loading editor
    • Thanks. KockaAdmiralac showed me some links in chat as well.

        Loading editor
    • Popstar792 wrote:I suggest (if CC hasn't already done this) is also installing webhooks for the wiki on a discord server so that way, staff can track each and every user edit or account creation. That way if an admin can't get to CC at the moment and they're afk, they can go on discord and monitor everything on the discord server and whenever disruption is being caused, an admin can simply click on the link to the user and the thread or account and take immediate action from there. It takes very little time, and it's effctive for the bigger wikis in which I contribute to.

      We do have this already in a channel, and it's an option that some of the admins here use. Personally, I have it muted - I find that looking at RC is easier than checking a bot's log, because we see around 1000 entries a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Wikis comparable to this amount of activity are in the top 10 in WAM.

      We have tried methods like recent changes patrol in the past, and we have a few custom scripts for things like managing blogs, files and interlanguage links, but we'll definitely have to look further into more options for keeping the wiki moderated.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Given that Wikia is already replacing Forum with Discussions, I seriously doubt that is the reason.

      That's why I didn't capitalise "forum" so I refer to the ubiquitous general umbrella of forums on the internet, such as 4Chan boards, subreddits, and so on. Simply put, I was asking if the general discussion activity on the "forums" were going to increase because there are no more places (other than Discord) to have such take place. The same question applies to if general Discussions activity will increase.

        Loading editor
    • Well, CC has Forum, not Discussions; but I see now what you were getting at.

        Loading editor
    • that's so funny I've become the reason for this huge change, haven't I? :)

        Loading editor
    • Nope.

      Anyways, Staff Office hours for Sydney is perfect, in my opinion, so just for myself, I won't ask for more office hours. I probably won't be brave enough to ask questions to FANDOM, though, because the knowledge is probably somewhere else and I want to make an impressive overthinking question. *shrugs*

      Here's to a less active chat during that time. More personal spaces should make me a bit brave again.

        Loading editor
    • Lady Furude wrote: that's so funny I've become the reason for this huge change, haven't I? :)

      Not really. The guy who created the thread about the inconvenience of the chat moderators is the main reason for this change.

        Loading editor
    • Staff tabled further changes to CCC in early December, Leafy. From what staff have said, the goal seems to be a general change in culture, rather than specific concerns.

      EDIT: Of course, the feedback given will remain a concern and will be addressed by staff (as they should be).

        Loading editor
    • I think that it is good to disable the chat for a certain time period, because on the chat there are a lot of spammers and the mods and admins have without the chat more time to help for example new users. The chaos with the bans and kicks will not exist when the chat is disabled. Sometimes the chat is inactive, so you wait till someone enters the chat. Without the chat you don't encounter that problem. Asking for help is still possible, if the chat gets disabled; there are many ways to do it:

      • Contact the admins on their message walls
      • If the wiki has discussions, you can ask the admins there.
      • Some wikis have the forum, so you can ask them also there
      • And at last use Special:Contact, if you have serious problems


      On the other hand it is not so good if the chat gets disabled, because you talk less with other users and on the chat you get answers fast, while a discussion thread gets found after usually some hours. On the chat you can talk about everyday life and other topics which is on the discussions/forum mostly not allowed. A good feature on the chat are the private messages (PM), because you can talk with another user without the fact that everyone sees the conversation. If you try to talk with another user on the message wall or on the discussions/forum, the change will be visible on the recent changes menu or on the recent discussions menu. The PM conversations are never shown to the other users.

      I haven't a clear opinion, because there are facts which are for disabling the chat and there are also facts against disabling the chat. I suggest that you should try that out for a certain amount of time and then you can see what has changed without the chat and decide to let the chat disabled or to enable the chat again.

      What do you think about disabling the chat? Write your opinion about that in the comments below.


      --Glasia Kontakt 14:15, January 6, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Just to make sure, you are aware that it is only CC that will be having chat removed, yes? All other wikis will continue to have chat.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Just to make sure, you are aware that it is only CC that will be having chat removed, yes? All other wikis will continue to have chat.

      That's true. 

        Loading editor
    • Yay! A break from spammers!

        Loading editor
    • PoplioLoveYT wrote: Yay! A break from spammers!

      I'm not sure it'll deter potential spammers, since the activity feed is also spammed on a daily basis.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, like the mess Jr Mime recently had to clean up.

        Loading editor
    • Sebastian Clarke wrote: I'm not sure it'll deter potential spammers, since the activity feed is also spammed on a daily basis.

      It could be possible that there could be a little bit less of spammers. Otherwise, they would move to message walls.

        Loading editor
    • YEET. Chat isn't disabled! :D

        Loading editor
    • Anddd I lied.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeavy, you keep calling this a change, it is an "experiment".Besides that, the most likely reason is to add features to interact in different way than just the chat, or just a little social experiment for the sake of the word experiment, purely for the cause, not looking for anything in particular just whatever seems to pop up as a main issue to be fixed along with some minor ones, and in a way to get people top go deeper into the world of Wikia to make them more socially active in this community. This is just my opinion of course fell free to object.

        Loading editor
    • Can you make a little popup in the corner of the wiki that explains where people can go now chat is disabled? Sorry idk what the popup thing is called, but you know what i mean

        Loading editor
    • What? Nuuuuuu!

        Loading editor
    • DrippingFang273 wrote: JustLeavy, you keep calling this a change, it is an "experiment".Besides that, the most likely reason is to add features to interact in different way than just the chat, or just a little social experiment for the sake of the word experiment, purely for the cause, not looking for anything in particular just whatever seems to pop up as a main issue to be fixed along with some minor ones, and in a way to get people top go deeper into the world of Wikia to make them more socially active in this community. This is just my opinion of course fell free to object.

      It's still a change in my book, at least a temporary one.

        Loading editor
    • We are closing this thread. It will remain as a notice for those who try to access Chat in the future. Please feel free to post new threads with observations about how things are going on Central over the next two months!

      Chat will reopen for Staff Office Hours on a weekly basis, and any changes to the Office Hours schedule will be reflected on that page.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.