FANDOM

• From looking at "About FANDOM" in the Internet Archive, it looks like in early May 2018 Craig Palmer got fired.

I could find no news on Google about this changeover, but it seemed to coincide with a round of investment by TPG Capital... which makes it sound more like a takeover, since Andy Doyle works for TPG Capital.

Loading editor
    • TPG Capital has majority ownership in Fandom, putting the value of Fandom overall at $200 million USD. As a result, they needed new people to drive Fandom forward, fresh blood.

Loading editor
    • That makes no sense. It seems like Craig Palmer put FANDOM in position to get this funding. Also, unexplained leadership changes rarely garner confidence.

I just hope it isn't a leveraged investment.

Loading editor
    • There are 2 articles that indicate a lot of info. With the two articles in mind, TGP capital purchased 53% of Fandom, although it sold other shares before. Parts of the previous stuff appeared to be leveraged although this investment is set to driven information on the internet to be better paths.

Loading editor
    • Well, hopefully the largest part of the investment is not leveraged. Leveraged investment is more like debt, unless growth is significant after the investment.

Needless to say, I have no idea what Andy Doyle's qualifications to run FANDOM would be.

Loading editor
    • What I'm hoping for the new CEO is to not make even more ridiculous ideas like news and stories below the Fan Feed. However, I'll be a bit confident with him and see what he can do as a CEO.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

What I'm hoping for the new CEO is to not make even more ridiculous ideas like news and stories below the Fan Feed. However, I'll be a bit confident with him and see what he can do as a CEO.

I get the feeling no CEO was involved with any of the recent (meaning last 5 years or so) UI changes. Also, this recent investment is likely with the expectation of quickly driving up revenue which probably means MOAR ADS!

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021
      Andrewds1021 removed this reply because:
      applicable message has been removed
      22:13, June 23, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • Looks like Jenburton has also been fired, and apparently "Nearly all of FANDOM’s editorial and video staff"

Loading editor
    • Apparently I can't save the post with a link: twitter.com/jackdrat/status/1029428400732033024

Loading editor
    • Interesting. Though I wonder if Jenburton's removal was actually related. That tweet was on the 14th, yesterday. According to the logs, Jenburton has staff privileges removed on the 6th, more than a week ago. It would seem odd to do that and then take a week to make the announcement.

It doesn't do any good to speculate too much though. Wikia will (and should) never tell.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Interesting. Though I wonder if Jenburton's removal was actually related. That tweet was on the 14th, yesterday. According to the logs, Jenburton has staff privileges removed on the 6th, more than a week ago. It would seem odd to do that and then take a week to make the announcement.

It doesn't do any good to speculate too much though. Wikia will (and should) never tell.

What annoucement? other than a tweet from an affected person?

Loading editor
    • I think he means the internal announcement to the laid off staff?

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: I think he means the internal announcement to the laid off staff?

Yes, that is what I meant. I wouldn't expect a company to publically announce layoffs to their user/customer base.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.