FANDOM


  • Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for April 16, 2018:

    • NOTABLE: On mobile devices, it is now possible to return to the mobile layout after switching to the desktop layout - look for the 'View Mobile Site' link in the footer. (This change is already live)
    • KNOWN ISSUE: We are aware an issue where some very large images do not generate thumbnails - this is because of a 12.5 megapixel (approx. 3500 x 3500 pixel) limit. We are looking into raising this limit, but a temporary solution is to resize image uploads to be under this maximum pixel count.
      • UPDATE: This limit will be raised to 60 megapixels in the April 17 release.
      Loading editor
    • I am outraged by the inconvience this has caused me.

        Loading editor
    • * NOTABLE: On mobile devices, it is now possible to return to the mobile layout after switching to the desktop layout - look for the 'View Mobile Site' link in the footer. (This change is already live)'
      ~ George Kirkburn

      Please note that this was possible before the redesign of the footer. Thanks for adding it back.

        Loading editor
    • Valyrian Wildfire wrote: I am outraged by the inconvience this has caused me.

      Regarding the image thumbnail generation limit - we recognise this is a pain point as source images continue to increase in resolution. The 12.5 megapixel limit has existed for many years, but appeared to stop being applied for a while, causing some unexpected effects when it started working again. It is still our intention to significantly increase this limit (and provide clearer messaging if someone does still manage to run into it). Apologies for the inconvenience.

        Loading editor
    • Well I think I'll halt uploading certain images until capability increases. Will track this matter, hope it will resolve, soon.

        Loading editor
    • I, for a long time, have noticed that this pixels limitation was only applied on PNG images.

      If memory serves, I remember seeing a "12000 × 9000" pixel jpg being uploaded successfully, but it may be, as said above, a fault in the system.

        Loading editor
    • @Luma.dash

      3 Days ago I uploaded a 5120x3840 jpg but the site fails to thumbnail it.

        Loading editor
    • Islandking wrote:
      @Luma.dash

      3 Days ago I uploaded a 5120x3840 jpg but the site fails to thumbnail it.

      Now, the problem is even worse. Even already uploaded files are not being displayed if they exceed the limit.

        Loading editor
    • @Luma.dash

      Gosh, I have to check my site, see if important ones get "whitened", this, along with the lazy-loading bug, need to be fixed very soon.

        Loading editor
    • For a typical use in wiki thumbnails, there is no need to go above HD resolution. But if you need both the thumbnails and the full-size version, then you can have the original uploaded as a separate file (which should still display normally when viewed at full size). At least that would be a workaround for now.

        Loading editor
    • It is as I feared, most map images I uploaded failed, like this one, it worked several days ago, I began to wonder why did they do this, is it a bug? So instead of increasing capabilities they shrinked it, that's rare and if things don't work out soon, I'm beginning to think of contributing elsewhere.

        Loading editor
    • Thanks for fixing the 3500 pixel thumbnail failure.

      A bunch of images on Muppet Wiki are now broken.

      Is there an ETA on when this will be fixed?

        Loading editor
    • Scarecroe wrote: Thanks for fixing the 3500 pixel thumbnail failure.

      A bunch of images on Muppet Wiki are now broken.

      Is there an ETA on when this will be fixed?

      You can report this to S:C/B.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

      Scarecroe wrote: Thanks for fixing the 3500 pixel thumbnail failure.

      You can report this to S:C/B.

      I did, thanks. But it helps that there's public discussion so that the community has visibility of the issue.

        Loading editor
    • You've managed to break an astonishingly large number of already-uploaded images on one of your largest wikis. Bravo!

        Loading editor
    • Dang, you guys pissed off Wookieepedia. Awkward.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:You can report this to S:C/B.

      I've reported several times, some of which are common and essential issues such as unexpected line breaks on RTE, lazy loading bug failing to display the tooltip images, most of which didn't exist before, and all I got are responses like "We're aware of this issue" "We're working on it", except nothing ever changes after months passed. Seems to be me they're stalling, making fool of the reporters who filed reports on issues related to server loading, well if they care more about the server cost than presenting a good editing envirment, then this is not the site I want to contribute, there're many choices of game wikis nowadays, I'll sure move to Gamepedia at this rate.

        Loading editor
    • Scarecroe wrote:
      Dang, you guys pissed off Wookieepedia. Awkward.

      Wookieepedia is corrupt anyway.

        Loading editor
    • Islandking wrote:

      JustLeafy wrote:You can report this to S:C/B.

      I've reported several times, some of which are common and essential issues such as unexpected line breaks on RTE, ... most of which didn't exist before,...

      I've seen these line breaks being added or removed from other users' edits and I've had to go back and correct them myself. Annoying for everyone.

        Loading editor
    • @DEmersonJMFM

      Yes, I did the same, but since I can't lock the pages from other editors for this reason, I stopped correcting the breaks which should be done by Fandom not me.

        Loading editor
    • George, what's the ETA on a fix? A lot of images on our wikis that have been fine for years are now broken.

        Loading editor
    • To be clear, the 12.5 megapixel image resolution limit is not something we intentionally introduced - it had always existed, but apparently stopped being applied for a while. [Edit: per comments below, the change appears to be that the limit started being applied to JPG, when it previously wasn't]

      It has been our intention to raise this limit for a while, and we're looking into this more urgently given the clearly inconsistent behaviour recently. I am making sure the team are aware of the concerns raised, and asking whether we can get the limit raised ASAP.

      Apologies again for the inconvenience in the meantime!

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:

      not something we intentionally introduced

      Understood. But a recent change caused hundreds of images on Muppet Wiki, and I'm assuming thousands on others, to break.

      Can you let us know how long this content — going back at least four years — will be broken?

        Loading editor
    • 452

      They are increasing the limit to 60 megapixels on line 702, but have not bothered to update the documentation on line 700.

        Loading editor
    • So far as I am aware the limit only stopped working for a few months. We've never prevented people uploading images that were larger than that resolution, but it was generally immediately noticeable that no thumbnail was being generated. [Edit: per comments below, the change appears to be that the limit started being applied to JPG, when it previously wasn't]

      I've just been informed by the team that the limit will be increased to 60 megapixels in tomorrow's release, which should significantly help out - and we'll be looking at further tweaks based on the effects of that change (including introducing clearer error messaging). No action should be required to take advantage of the increased limit.

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: it was generally immediately noticeable that no thumbnail was being generated.

      Muppet Wiki's images only broke recently. If the thumbnails were broken when they were uploaded, we would have noticed.

      Kirkburn wrote: I've just been informed by the team that the limit will be increased to 60 megapixels in tomorrow's release

      Thank you for this ETA. I really appreciate it.

        Loading editor
    • 452

      Kirkburn wrote: So far as I am aware the limit only stopped working for a few months.

      If you read the thread, you would be aware otherwise:

      Luma.dash wrote: I, for a long time, have noticed that this pixels limitation was only applied on PNG images.

      If memory serves, I remember seeing a "12000 × 9000" pixel jpg being uploaded successfully, but it may be, as said above, a fault in the system.

      And:

      Darth Culator wrote: You've managed to break an astonishingly large number of already-uploaded images on one of your largest wikis. Bravo!

      While Darth Culator could have been more specific, it takes mere seconds to find this broken image from 2009: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:TCW_RH_KeyArt.jpg

      Taking Luma.dash and Darth Culator at their word, it would appear that for at least 9 years, the limit was only applied to PNG and not JPG.

      As I have only ever uploaded PNG in that resolution, I cannot attest either way to the limit for JPGs.


      edit: After a brief search, it appears that this change 6 days ago is a likely cause. Before 6 days ago, jpeg resizing was apparently handled by imagemajick, and thus wgMaxImageArea did not apply to JPGs - and never did for the entire time that imagemajick was being used for that purpose.

        Loading editor
    • Ah, yes - good point 452. After reviewing the history of the relevant bug, it looks like this is a limit that previously only applied to PNG, but unexpectedly started being applied to JPG recently, and this does likely explain the recent effects. The reports I saw before the weekend were for images uploaded relatively recently - but broken 2009 uploads do certainly change that interpretation.

      In any case, while this does not affect the solution (bumping the limit up to 60 megapixels is something we've wanted to do for a while), I appreciate the assistance in clarifying the root of the issue.

      Edit: I will bring that change up with the team, thanks for the link.

        Loading editor
    • Thanks again for your transparency on this. It means a lot. 👍

        Loading editor
    • Note: we are aware of an issue where text is sometimes not showing up correctly in the global navigation and page header areas (showing the internal message name instead of the message content) - this is being looked into as a priority.

        Loading editor
    • Update: a fix for the global navigation / page header text issue is now live!

        Loading editor
    • The image issue solved for the site I'm working on, any plans to fix the unexpected line breaks on RTE & lazy loading bug?

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: Update: a fix for the global navigation / page header text issue is now live!

      Brilliant! :D

        Loading editor
    • Thumbnails appear to be fixed on Muppet Wiki as well. Folks may need a hard refresh for them to show up.

      👍 Thanks for the quick turnaround on this Wikia Technical Staff, we really appreciate it!

        Loading editor
    • Islandking wrote: The image issue solved for the site I'm working on, any plans to fix the unexpected line breaks on RTE & lazy loading bug?

      We are continuing to look into these kinds of issues, but I don't have any specific updates to share at this time.

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:We are continuing to look into these kinds of issues, but I don't have any specific updates to share at this time.

      Fair enough, I only hope the mentioned behaviors get remedied soon this time, because for many sites, they can be as damaging as the image issue.

        Loading editor
    • My dragon story keeps kicking off can't visit can't even mine with out it freezing and then kicks off all i get from storm 8 is did u get a snap shot how can anyone get a snap shot if while ur doing something it shuts down i even have Google checking into it everyone is so mad and upset with the game i can't even get on my nbrs list without it shutting down 5 or 6 times can't even collect coins it's got to the point we can't do anything on our game plz check it out thx so very much

        Loading editor
    • Kathy4464 wrote: My dragon story keeps kicking off can't visit can't even mine with out it freezing and then kicks off all i get from storm 8 is did u get a snap shot how can anyone get a snap shot if while ur doing something it shuts down i even have Google checking into it everyone is so mad and upset with the game i can't even get on my nbrs list without it shutting down 5 or 6 times can't even collect coins it's got to the point we can't do anything on our game plz check it out thx so very much

      We can't help you with that. Let whoever makes the game handle it. If I understand correctly and the game is Dragon Story, then the creators are here:

      http://www.storm8.com/

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.