FANDOM

• I took screenshots of a few videos that I uploaded on the Just Dance Wiki and the owners of the videos want to be credited in a way. I have that covered, but my question is: is it okay to say that the screenshots are my own images, but they come from the corresponding videos from those owners?

Loading editor
    • I am not a licensing expert, but I would guess so.

Loading editor
    • I just though of another question: would the pictures I took be copyrighted if the owners whose videos I took the pictures from have obtained copyright for those videos?

Loading editor
    • It really depends on the specifics. Copyright laws very from country to country. Using an online international platform like Wikia makes it even more complicated. However, in the US, I believe that copyright is automatically conferred to the originator of the content unless otherwise specified by a written agreement; regardless of whether or not the copyright has been officially registered. However, "content" is a loose term. For example, in your case, does "content" refer to the entirety of the image or the image of the video in your image? That is where the gray area is. If you have made "enough" modifications/alterations or added "enough" new content, you are considered to be the copyright holder for your image. However, if you haven't done "enough", the copyright still belongs to the person who made the video; assuming it was theirs to being with.

The point is no one can really give you a definite answer; even more so since you haven't provided any specifics.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Then there is also the issue of how the copyright interacts with Wikia's licensing.

Loading editor
    • Crediting the original authors goes a long way toward shielding you from copyright problems. Unless you are obviously monetizing the content using someone else's material, it usually falls under the Fair use doctrine.

Loading editor
    • The owners of the videos are YouTubers who said anyone was free to use those videos for anything as long as credit was given to them. I only took screenshots and uploaded them while crediting...would this be okay?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      It really depends on the specifics. Copyright laws very from country to country. Using an online international platform like Wikia makes it even more complicated. However, in the US, I believe that copyright is automatically conferred to the originator of the content unless otherwise specified by a written agreement; regardless of whether or not the copyright has been officially registered. However, "content" is a loose term. For example, in your case, does "content" refer to the entirety of the image or the image of the video in your image? That is where the gray area is. If you have made "enough" modifications/alterations or added "enough" new content, you are considered to be the copyright holder for your image. However, if you haven't done "enough", the copyright still belongs to the person who made the video; assuming it was theirs to being with.

The point is no one can really give you a definite answer; even more so since you haven't provided any specifics.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Then there is also the issue of how the copyright interacts with Wikia's licensing.

Btw in my case "content" refers to the image of the video in my image.

Loading editor
    • Meow2BowWow wrote: The owners of the videos are YouTubers who said anyone was free to use those videos for anything as long as credit was given to them. I only took screenshots and uploaded them while crediting...would this be okay?

I think the answer is "yes" assuming you credit the authors. Your concern is warranted, but considering most people don't even ask about copyright or usage issues before uploading and using media, I think you don't need to worry.

Loading editor
    • Thank you both for helping! :D

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message