FANDOM

• Sophiedp
    Sophiedp closed this thread because:
    see last reply
    21:28, April 8, 2019

Hello,

With the next code release (July 18th), the Help:Wikia Maps feature will be removed entirely from our codebase and all instances of Maps on our network will be removed. This is a technical process called "sunsetting".

In November 2016, Fandom decided to officially remove support from the Wikia Maps feature. The rationale at the time included the technical cost of the extension - which was very high with lots of server resources needed as well as the constant need for bug patches - along with little usage since its initial release. At that time, we converted all "real-world maps" to use the Maps extension.

Reviewing the remaining maps this summer, we discovered pageviews had continued to drop. Only 175 pageviews of the maps occurred in the past 90 days. As such, we have decided to completely remove the remaining maps and then the feature's code. I have already reached out a handful of communities who had the most active remaining maps and I am now posting this message in hopes of catching any other users who might be affected.

Fandom will continue to support the Maps extension and are looking at upgrading this extension later this summer. The newest version of this extension lays the groundwork for some of the "custom" maps that were created and future iterations may allow this third-party extension to be a full replacement of our now removed tool.

Loading editor
    • Alright, thank you for letting us know. I have never been an active user of the feature, but it's still sad to see it go. Here's to the future (and the Maps extension).

Loading editor
    • Out of curiosity, will the help page be left intact?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Out of curiosity, will the help page be left intact?

No, the help page will be deleted on Tuesday as part of the sunset.

Loading editor
    • I wish we'd gotten notified sooner about this in another format as I only learned today (don't check here too often). We used custom maps (i.e: fictional game maps that the new maps extension is basically useless for) and now I have to figure out other ways to show locations of hard to describe points of interest in the game.

Loading editor
    • If I am reading the original post correctly, they issues a notice all the way back in November.

Loading editor
    • What a shame, useful features keep getting stripped left and right all the time. Very disappointed about this, I wanted to use this feature on my wiki for two upcoming video games and I worked hard to create multiple maps on my community. However, I do understand the server concern, and the fact that it was pretty unstable most of the time also. So I'm definitely hoping and looking forward to what comes out next in terms of maps, and hopefully soon.

Loading editor
    • Ahh, that'd explain it. I didn't join the affected wikia in question until January so I was putting all that work into the maps for nothing¬†:(

Loading editor
    • After support was removed, I deleted everything I had considering this step was most likely to happen.

Loading editor
    • If we have mainly used Wikia Maps in our community, is there a good substitute or an easy transition to keep everything? I don't want to lose all the maps that we have.

Loading editor
    • 3primetime3 wrote:
      If we have mainly used Wikia Maps in our community, is there a good substitute or an easy transition to keep everything? I don't want to lose all the maps that we have.

A successor may come in the future but we won't learn it unless FANDOM staff announces it.

Loading editor
    • 3primetime3 wrote: If we have mainly used Wikia Maps in our community, is there a good substitute or an easy transition to keep everything? I don't want to lose all the maps that we have.

We may have to probe at the possibility of link in images. For example, when you click on certain parts of the image, you can go directly to the page. This feature is mainly used in many pages in Wikipedia. I'm not sure if it can be done in Wikia though.

Well, our wiki has been one of the wikis that use the maps very often, indeed play an important role to our success. It is such a big shame that this feature is removed and now I'm running my bot to manually delete these junk codes...

Loading editor
    • Wait. I was also using yesterday my bot to remove those lines but prime did reverted due to no evidence.

Loading editor
    • The Maps extension is sadly worthless for most Fandom wikis.

Loading editor
    • I learned about it a few days ago too. Why look in a forum for it, when you don't have a clue that something is going on? I understand that this is neccessary, when the costs are too high, but the way of pronouncing it shoud be thought over.¬†

Loading editor
    • DaNASCAT wrote:

FANDOM will continue to support the Maps extension and are looking at upgrading this extension later this summer. The newest version of this extension lays the groundwork for some of the "custom" maps that were created and future iterations may allow this third-party extension to be a full replacement of our now removed tool.

I'm glad to hear about this part. Wikia Maps was an important tool for us when it came out, so I'm definitely looking forward to what upgrades will be made to the current Maps extension.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

DaNASCAT wrote:

FANDOM will continue to support the Maps extension and are looking at upgrading this extension later this summer. The newest version of this extension lays the groundwork for some of the "custom" maps that were created and future iterations may allow this third-party extension to be a full replacement of our now removed tool.

I'm glad to hear about this part. Wikia Maps was an important tool for us when it came out, so I'm definitely looking forward to what upgrades will be made to the current Maps extension.

Without any kind of timeline, it's hard for me to be optimistic... How long are you willing to wait?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Without any kind of timeline, it's hard for me to be optimistic... How long are you willing to wait?

Well...

DaNASCAT wrote:

FANDOM will continue to support the Maps extension and are looking at upgrading this extension later this summer.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

DaNASCAT wrote:

FANDOM will continue to support the Maps extension and are looking at upgrading this extension later this summer.

So you're willing to settle for "groundwork" which may not represent any useful functionality?

DaNASCAT wrote:

The newest version of this extension lays the groundwork for some of the "custom" maps that were created and future iterations may allow this third-party extension to be a full replacement of our now removed tool.

Loading editor
    • I am indeed willing to settle for that for the time being. As it stood, most of Wikia Maps's features were non-functional or ripe with bugs upon its sunset. Unlike most on this network, I am aware of and understand their development restrictions, and given the launch of Discussions, I wouldn't expect every Wikia Maps feature to immediately show up in the Maps extension. I can give them time to work on all of them, just so long as we get the core basics first and soonest: be able to make fictional maps with a custom image, and add pins to them. The rest can come later.

Loading editor
    • Though I can't make more specific promises for future updates, we certainly recognise the desire for custom maps - it's why we made this maps extension, after all.

In case it helps some wikis, we've created dumps of the map background images that were uploaded to each wiki - just send in a request to Special:Contact/general and we can give you a link.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: Though I can't make more specific promises for future updates, we certainly recognise the desire for custom maps - it's why we made this maps extension, after all.

In case it helps some wikis, we've created dumps of the map background images that were uploaded to each wiki - just send in a request to Special:Contact/general and we can give you a link.

It would be better to keep the Wikia Maps help page around and put this offer in there. However, I guess if admins search around they will run into this post.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: I am indeed willing to settle for that for the time being. As it stood, most of Wikia Maps's features were non-functional or ripe with bugs upon its sunset. Unlike most on this network, I am aware of and understand their development restrictions, and given the launch of Discussions, I wouldn't expect every Wikia Maps feature to immediately show up in the Maps extension. I can give them time to work on all of them, just so long as we get the core basics first and soonest: be able to make fictional maps with a custom image, and add pins to them. The rest can come later.

There is no indication that "groundwork" means support for custom maps even initially, so the assumption that it does seems hopeful rather than realistic, but maybe staff will give us more specifics and we won't need as much hope.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      Though I can't make more specific promises for future updates, we certainly recognise the desire for custom maps - it's why we made this maps extension, after all.

Ahhh!!!! Thanks George. I'll try it if I can.

Loading editor
    • FYI, we're working on a more portable version of custom maps with markers based on the stuff working at WoWWiki, but it's still in the early stages. A proof-of-concept port is working at the Witcher wiki.

If things go well, we should be able to have something in a week or so (cross-fingers). Please don't bug anyone involved until a full working version is proven out.

Loading editor
    • I'm kind of confused tbh like I understand what was removed but I don't understand about the new feature?

Loading editor
    • They're saying that they'll be adding groundwork to the MediaWiki Maps Extension to respond to the needs of many wikis for custom maps.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:
      They're saying that they'll be adding groundwork to the MediaWiki Maps Extension to respond to the needs of many wikis for custom maps.

Thank you!

Loading editor
    • Most likely the port of the re-worked WoWWiki custom maps solution will be ready long before Fandoms solution, but we'll see. Witcher wiki is the guinea pig for the WoWWiki custom maps solution.

Loading editor
    • The redone WoW Wiki "Map", commissioned for Witcher but to be used on both, is about 3/4 done with respect to genericizing and simplifying all aspects for site portability and ease of use by regular wiki folk. Its 100% usable at the moment, but only if you use 2/3 aspect ratio map images and are happy with WoW style percentage based [23.4,43.6] "point of interest" coordinate styles for placing markers.

See http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Map for the new, and see http://wow.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Map for the older more crusty un-portable version. Its mostly rewritten but will necessarily retain all the nice features of the WoW version so I can make a drop-in replacement on the WoW side for its many many Map pages.

I had stopped to build an additional genericized "CommonData" DB, which could also be used from wiki code by regular wiki contributors, so that Witcher could have a chance at adding Witcher POI without the army of people that WoW used to have, back in its peak, to add all of the points to all of the pages. The DB is not required to use "Map", but can be used together. I've redone InstanceMapID as a shakedown for the new DB and was able to handle some pretty massive data sets, like the Area/Zone table form WoW.

These two facilities will be available complete in two weeks more or less. "Map" and "CommonData".

Loading editor
    • ^ This sounds interesting. i'd love learn more!

Loading editor
    • FYI, I think I found a somewhat serious but possibly unintended performance issue with Wikia Scribuno and mw.loadData.

When mw.loadData is used, the general intent seems to be to have one load per module per wiki page. However because of the blind root-level clone when the MediaWiki code is hoisting up a new sub-environment all of the data through loadData is appears to get copied again for every sub-environment load, via the careful but slow Lua-side clone function.

In my test so far, the natural Lua literal table load appears to beat the clone by about 2 or 3 to 1, in performance and sometimes memory, so the CommonData DB wont be using any calls mw.loadData for the time being.

Just a heads up.

Loading editor
    • Perhaps it would be best to start this as a new thread? Or, even better, use Special:Contact/bug.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Perhaps it would be best to start this as a new thread? Or, even better, use Special:Contact/bug.

No. I wanted to let KB know in the context of this thread if he looks. Thanks though for the suggestion.

Loading editor
    • We are a fandom site - that is referring to many ficticious areas in many unreal settings. While it may be nice to have a google maps feature, what we really need to come back is the create maps feature for the maps of Fantasy worlds, which we upload before editing...

Any chance for that? Any help for the https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Map workaround for the time in which wikia does not support a map feature by default? We would love to have help with porting the map-template from wither to Myra.

Our shared world wikia http://myra.wikia.com definitely needs that -

Loading editor
    • Please don't necropost (reply to very old threads). Send your complaints to FANDOM staff via Special:Contact/general or Special:Contact/feedback.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.