FANDOM

• Doesn't the Wordmark and the Wiki name seem a bit redundant? Is there any way you could permit us (the old school runescape wiki) to disable the wiki name in css?

Loading editor
    • The separate plain text wiki name serve several purposes, one of which is offering a clear anchor point for screen readers and other accessibility tools. This is one area where the design and structure of the previous header was unfortunately a bit lacking.

I'd say even in the case of The Old School RuneScape Wiki, there's a clear difference right now. The text name shows the official name of the game (and the wiki) while the wordmark features the more casual fan-speak "2007scape" name.

Why not have a wordmark design contest? Now that the wordmark does not have to do double duty, as both a graphic logo and a text label, and the width is more adaptable, it might be fun to see what ideas people can come up with. And for the short term, maybe add something seasonal? I see there's a pride event in the game, so a rainbow or something like that?

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the quick reply. It just so happens that we were in the process of setting up a community wordmark design contest. We only still use the fanspeak, as you called it, logo as we had not prepared a new one for the site change.

I'll look into it further.

P.S. Is it true that all external image embeds are going to be disabled? Even if I say, direct link to an image from another wiki like I have set up this page for example?

Actually the P.S. is more what I wanted to ask anyway. The rest was kind of a kneejerk "Mr. Horse" reaction.

Loading editor
    • I hope the "fanspeak" adjective didn't come off as derogatory, I only meant to contrast with the official name of the game.

Truly external image embeds are subject to domain whitelisting of course. But I am not aware of any plans to disable embedding via vignette URLs like in the example you gave, or any of the similar conventions that are commonly found on the site. Is there a staff comment somewhere that suggests there is going to be a change? If so I can investigate that further and hopefully offer clarification.

Loading editor
    • [9:24 AM] Cqm: this one is more interesting though https://github.com/Wikia/app/pull/12722
      [9:24 AM] Cqm: bye bye external image whitelist
      [8:43 PM] Spooky: Has whitelist been removed yet?
      [8:46 PM] Rappy: Not yet, no. It will be though.
      [9:01 PM] Spooky: Is kocka updated github script better than prior?
      [9:15 PM] Rappy: I've not looked at Kocka's script, but I can say that once the whitelist is removed from the code base, there is no plan to replace it with anything - including custom code options.

Loading editor
    • Thanks!

This is an example of assumptions and jumping to conclusions, so I'm glad you asked about it.

The change will remove a whitelist that allowed for remotely-hosted images to display on the site; allowing such images is not ideal since they have not been processed through our image review system.

Vignette URLs for our own images (like in the example) will not be affected by the change. Let me know if that does not address your concern.

Loading editor
    • Well that's disappointing. I understand the reasoning but a lot of wikis are gonna have an influx of random, unrelated images on them now, most wikis direct users to use external hosts for profile images.

Loading editor
    • Hey Bert, forgive me but you didn't really offer a clear answer to the question Scuzzy originally provided. Would it be at all possible to allow users to enter a blank name or hide the name from showing? Some communities, like the 2007 RuneScape Wiki, and the main RuneScape Wiki, and I'm sure many others, use their wordmark to show what the wiki is about. It is redundant to have a wordmark that says "The RuneScape Wiki" followed by plain text that states "The RuneScape Wiki". I'm sure allowing users to enter nothing into the name field would be a pretty easy change on your end.

Loading editor
    • You're right, I didn't directly answer the question, sorry about that. At this time, we don't intend to allow for a null value there, and customization outside of Theme Designer is not permitted. Any redundancy can be mitigated by changing the content of either the community name or the wordmark. I have already seen plenty of communities, including RuneScape Wiki, talking about interesting new wordmark designs. While the impetus for making a change may not always be welcome, the change itself can often end up being refreshing and interesting.

Loading editor
    • I am in support of unlimited creative freedom with unlimited creative access to all forms of code. If I want to make my wiki a 3D Sphere that navigate with click and drag, then I should be damn well allowed to do so. I don't care if its navigation hell :V

Loading editor
    • You can enter a non-printable character as the wiki name (making it invisible) but I guess that's a bug.

BertH wrote: The change will remove a whitelist that allowed for remotely-hosted images to display on the site; allowing such images is not ideal since they have not been processed through our image review system.

I thought somebody said during Staff Hours once that change isn't going to happen.

BertH wrote: Vignette URLs for our own images (like in the example) will not be affected by the change.

Oh well, at least we can make a wiki used for "junk" images people can link externally. Or can we?

For reference, "Kocka's script" from Spooky's message from the above quote from Dev Wiki Discord server is this.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.