FANDOM

• For instance, if I write on Harry Potter Wikia, does Fandom own whatever it is I write about it? I know this sounds stupid, but I just want to know how far the policies go. Thanks!

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • No. When you write it, it is public domain. Anyone can copy and use it, as long as they credit you.

Loading editor
    • The content you write on Fandom wikis is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) license. You can read about that on our Licensing policy page. In rare exceptions, it may be another Creative Commons license for historical reasons.

Loading editor
    • MechQuester wrote: No. When you write it, it is public domain. Anyone can copy and use it, as long as they credit you.

It's not in the public domain.

Also, even though most text in these wikis falls under the Creative Commons license, you could, in theory, copyright portions of it and cite that they are copyrighted and reproduced on the wiki with permission.

Just because the wiki is under a particular license doesn't mean all the text in it is governed by that license. For example, many wikis reproduce blurbs about TV shows or episodes on their wiki pages and those blurbs are often copyrighted. The rights holder could request it be taken down and anyone who copied that page before the takedown would be in violation of the copyright.

Loading editor
    • Thank you. 😊

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.