FANDOM

• Hello TheBlueRouge. I am Ultrasonic9000, one of the admins for Sonic News Network. No too long ago, you took over the job of coming up with a new spiff for Sonic News Network. I know you said you would get to work on it in earnest by week's end, but I would hope to ask you to speed up things regarding this. We are really getting impatient: we want to decide new shades of colors for the wiki and some of us are expected an entirely different color scheme. I am trying to keep everything orderly and focused without causing too much change leading up to how you should design SNN's new spiff, but I am afraid I am only making things worse; editors are responding less and less, and others seem to be giving up on the cause. I try to keep others from stepping too much into what is considered plagiarizing of Journalistic's artwork, but we have different ideas of what is allowed and Journalistic keep telling about what we can't do, forcing me to make decisions that other users fundamentally disagree with.

Something needs to be done, and it must be done soon. I can't live with myself if my involvement will ruin everything, yet I can't just stand by and do nothing.

Loading editor
    • I understand. As a member of ComDev my responsibilities span across a lot of different wikis so I apologize I haven't made this as big of a priority as your community is taking it. My plate is clear now and I will focus on this from now until it's completion. I will get a list of reverts that Journalistic pulled from the site tomorrow.

I was reading your Discussions post on the matter but the long reply chain has the info quite spread out. From your perspective, what do you feel is the most important element that needs to be addressed? I will make sure I focus on that first before branching to other things.

Loading editor
    • In regards to what Journalistic has been withdrawn from Sonic News Network, social medias as a whole take second priority right now. Right now, the main focus among our editors are coming up with a new background, wordmark and Favicon for Sonic News Network, which is what you have chosen to pick up. However, Journalistic has often stressed that anything new should not bear any resemblance to his old work.

In regards to the art direction we want to go in for background, wordmark and favicon, this direction seems to be the most desired. Further discussions have revealed that some users think a little more colors besides a new shade of blue would be good for the wikia. Administrator Luma.dash thinks the new spiff should incorporate a color combination of yellow, red and blue, like those used by the Sonic Logo and Sonic Mania logo. And it is something I have to agree with.

As for what Journalistic has withdrawn, you can view it here.

Loading editor
    • Thank you so much for all the great info. I definitely agree that incorporating a background that includes the yellow/red/blue scheme of the new Sonic titles is a great idea. Gonna start drafting up a few different mocks of each and have them live on a sandbox/send you screens. I'm not sure how much you want to get a full community vote on which mock they prefer or not. Regardless, I'd like to give you guys a few choices to work with and we can roll from there.

I'll start with background/wordmark/favicon and afterward, I can branch to touching the main page up with a new visual look.Are you/the rest of the contributor base still in contact with Journalistic after he left? I will try my best to avoid using any of his old stylistic approaches and I'm hoping he won't be too picky if there are some minor similarities. 

Loading editor
    • It sounds like a great plan. I'll inform the other guys on the matter.

I am afraid contacting Journalistic is beyond our network, as he is currently in an extremely foul mood after seeing our attempts to create substitute layouts (which unfortunately ended up being too similar to his in his opinion) until the new ones come, and has cut me off from his contacts.

Loading editor
    • Thanks, you're doing a great job handling all of this, by the way. Being an admin is hard work and especially so when there are conflicts like this. I will comment in this thread with links once I have mocks drafted!

Loading editor
    • My sandbox can be found at http://www.dougsandbox.wikia.com

Check out the background and favicon there. What do you think of that? I can make alterations to have the base color of the background be a different color besides that yellow if you're looking for something else!

Loading editor
    • Let me see if I can bring it to the attention of my fellow users. It might take a while though.

Loading editor
    • I have started a new discussion about your proposals. With this, you can keep yourself updated on our discussions and viewpoints. I figure I will give us about a day to reflect on your proposal and report back to you on our latest conclusions.

Loading editor
    • Okay. I have presented your suggestion spiff to my wikia and we had had time to go it over. Overall, we think your new background layout is indeed colorful and vibrant. However, the majority think that it would only be relevant for as long as Sonic Mania is. Instead, we were hoping something more permanent. Genesjs himself put it in these terms:

A layout that is more "neutral/universal" in design (as in something that doesn't apply to any particular game/media in the franchise) would work better in terms of longevity, and it would be easier to make something more unique in appearance in general if we aren't trying to emulate any characteristics of any specific works in the franchise, like in the case of Sonic Mania for this first suggestion here.

We have seen that you have gone more in the direction of Sonic Mania. Now, we hope that maybe you could design something that goes more in the direction of Sonic's official website (namely the lower blue half) with the decorations Luma.dash suggested here.

Furthermore, I believe we are in favor of a certain motif for the Sonic News Network wordmark: something based on the motif for the Sonic the Hedgehog series' logo.

Thank you for taking your time to help us, and thank you for your aid.

Loading editor
    • Alright, that sounds good! I'll utilize that blue background styling and then draft up a few different alignments of characters over top of it (including how luma.dash suggested). I'll have a few different designs for you tomorrow to show off and I'll get a wordmark drafted up. Will post here once they're ready!

Loading editor
    • I've finished a couple of variants of the background. The one I like most is currently live on my sandbox here: http://dougsandbox.wikia.com/wiki/Doug_Sandbox_Wiki

Here are a few other variants, I can switch their size, characters, or particular sizes of each if the community is interested in something more specific: http://imgur.com/a/be1Vh

Loading editor
    • Thank you for your efforts. I shall contact the others about this.

Loading editor
    • Oh also here is a direct link to a wordmark mock if you wish to have the community discuss it separately 

http://imgur.com/a/c2bpy

Loading editor
    • TheBlueRogue wrote: Oh also here is a direct link to a wordmark mock if you wish to have the community discuss it separately 

http://imgur.com/a/c2bpy

Looks great. Thanks.

Loading editor
    • Sorry I have not been able to respond sooner, but the latest reveal about Sonic Forces kinda derailed us.

In regards to the background, only one user seems to disagree the background pattern, so I believe it to be acceptable. There has not been any mention about the Eggman pose, so I assume you have made an excellent choice for it. In regards to the Sonic artwork however, people want Sonic in a more action-orientated pose (if you can all it). While you are feel to make your own choice for Sonic's pose, some of the users here have made some decent suggestions (it starts a few replies before the post this link refers to, and ends a few posts after). Some users also agree the background would look neat with a few Rings on it (albeit not excessively).

In regards to the workmark, we have come to the conclusion that the earlier suggestion made it look too unoriginal. We are thus in favor of a workmark that is more original, yet relatable to the Sonic series. On behalf of my wiki, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Loading editor
    • I've gone ahead and changed out the Sonic to a more action oriented pose, you can find the current version on my sandbox. I also decided to mock up an alternate that includes a few rings that you can view here: http://imgur.com/a/DXKCq

As for the wordmark, I created a new one based on the blueprint of the Sonic Mania logo and you can find that on the sandbox as well. if this doesn't suffice, any more direction towards the styling of the wordmark would be helpful. We usually use official logos as a base and then alter them with new text/color/alignment stylings. I'm not a talented enough artist to create a unique one from scratch, sadly :P

http://www.dougsandbox.wikia.com

Loading editor
    • Hello again TheBlueRogue

I have gone over your latest spiff with the community, but interests are divided at the moment regarding matters I will elaborate upon down below. Nonetheless, you have received few to none complains regarding the Ring layout you came up with, so I'll say you have gotten it right and can add it to the final product. As such, I think the only thing left for now is the polish of it. And in regards to this, I think there is some noteworthy things that should be addressed. While I have received few replies regarding these, I have confidence that it is necessary:

BrowserSize

With this size of the figures added to the background, one will hardly be able to see the rings.

• The Sonic and Eggman images (and perhaps the rings) can be made a bit smaller so one can better see the full scope of the background. This is because when I few the background in your sandbox, then you would only be able to glimpse the Rings you would be adding to it.
      • Perhaps you can have the Sonic image replaced with something more modern (as that image is from Sonic 06). People think something around the Sonic Colors era and beyond will do. Luma.dash has suggested this, but I think this will do nicely too. It is your pick.
      • Eggman's artwork could stand to be complete (without the top and bottom being cut off). You can find a complete image here.

Now, in regards to the wordmark or favicon, I believe you do not need to let it be your priority. We have recently encountered a new user on SNN named DanikV, who has a lot of creative talent when it comes to logos, and the majority seems to like his work (this is the divided interest I mentioned earlier). As such, I think you do not need to exert yourself coming up with a new wordmark or favicon at the moment.

Thank you four your time.

Loading editor
    • Alrighty, I've made the requested changes and the new version can be found on my sandbox http://www.dougsandbox.wikia.com

Congrats on finding an artist within the community, in my experience that's definitely the best way to collaborate on a new look. Let me know if there is anything else you need my assistance with outside of the skin/wordmark/favicon and I'll do my best to help.

Loading editor
    • Background Polish

I must say it is really coming together now. I think all that is left is now to polish it. And for that, I believe a few corrections are in order:

• I think it would fit the ring beneath Sonic's foot really well to be moved a little more into focus, like shown on the screenshot.
      • The order of the background (as circle on the screenshot) could stand to be lowered so there is no chance of seeing it. Which makes me wonder: why is it important to make a cutout there in the shape of the article sheets? I mean, can't it just not have a cutout as all. It works out for the placeholder background SNN has at the moment.
        Loading editor
    • Alrighty, I've gone ahead and moved some of the ring placements and re-tuned the background to be a non-split variety to prevent the split in the middle and give more space on the upper and lower edges of the content area so big ads won't make the image look wonky. 

The change to non-split might have altered alignment of some rings and/or Sonic or Eggman so let me know if want any of those fine-tuned. After that, I think we'll be set!

Loading editor
    • Thank you very much. I shall take your changes up with the others. If everything checks out, then I think we're good.

Loading editor
    • The background is definitely looking better. But, I've got to ask you if you can find a better balance between 1366x768 PCs and those which are higher. Because I'm just seeing a very small part of the characters from my computer.

Loading editor
    • In response to Luma.dash's reply, the issue he describes seems to be the only issue left. Once this has been cleared up, we're ready to have it implemented.

Loading editor
    • After doing a bit of experimenting, I think this is due to the fact that the background is set to non-split. Splitting the background allows the left and right areas of the skin to best display for all resolutions and the trade off is that center gradient that you'll sometimes see when a large ad loads. I'll do some final tweaks on a split background version and upload it to my sandbox.

Loading editor
    • Alright sorry for the wait! Go ahead and check my sandbox for the latest version, I have the fractal blue background across the whole image and there should be no awkward black space after big ads. Let me know if there is any other tweaks you spot.

Loading editor
    • For me, it is better. Although the background is still somewhat...blurry, but the characters are positioned well. Fine by me.

Loading editor
    • Like before, the ring beneath Sonic's foot, could stand to be moved a little more into sight. Other than that, I have nothing to say.

Loading editor
    • So how are things processing with the final alteration (regarding the foot)?

Loading editor
    • Believe the background on my sandbox has been updated for that. Sorry about the delay, E3 week is crazy for us! Give it a look.

Loading editor
    • Unavngivet2

So sorry for nitpicking and so sorry for not specifying what I meant. I was hoping just that ring could be moved more in the direction of the red arrow. Like the one earlier:

Background Polish

I also apologize for not realizing that E3 was affecting you. In that case, take your time.

Loading editor
    • Has it been finished yet? Not to rush you or anything, but just asking if there is a floating problem here.

Loading editor
    • Sorry for that delay, so many projects in my lap! But I think I made the requested change. Should be able to get tweaks to you much faster now if you still need them. If it needs any more tweaks post and I'll hit them quickly. 

http://www.bluerogues.wikia.com

Loading editor
    • Well, there is a matter of that mismatched patch ín the blue background in the middle of the picture on the left side.

Loading editor
    • So, has it been fixed yet? Not to rush or anything, but we've been waiting for several months to set a new background.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.