FANDOM


  • As part of the ongoing development of Discussions, we are happy to introduce Discussions Insights on January 17. This is a statistics area, accessible to moderators and admins, which can help identify the most active and productive users in the Discussions feature. There are three lists in this area, and all three can show information for the last 30 and 90 days.

    Active users

    DiscussionsInsightsActiveUsers

    This is a simple list showing who has made the most contributions in Discussions. Identifying the most active users is key, especially over the 90-day time span. If someone is sticking around and and staying active for several months, they’re more likely to be around for the long term and continue to play an active role in your community. If you are impressed with their style and conduct, they might be a user who you approach about contributing to the wiki or taking on a leadership role.

    This “leaderboard” view is a primary reason why this data is only visible to admins and moderators. Insights is meant to inform the leaders of a community, not motivate users to get to the top of the list for its own sake.

    Reports

    DiscussionsInsightsReportsGlossary

    This lists users according to the amount of posts and replies they have reported. It also details what has happened to those reports. Were the reported posts deleted, or deemed acceptable? This is a tool to help admins identify potential moderator candidates. If the majority of posts reported by a user are getting deleted, it means they likely have a good eye for things that don’t meet the community’s standards. The lists can also help identify users who report posts to simply be irritating, or for no reason at all, since most things reported by them would be approved and left visible. Promoting or reprimanding a user should take many things into account of course, but this data can be a great starting point when making an assessment.

    Moderator actions

    DiscussionsInsightsModeratorActions

    It’s helpful to know how much moderating is actually happening and who’s doing it. So this list is a straightforward tally of how many moderation actions have been taken by users with those privileges. Actions counting toward this total are: deleting a post, approving a reported post, editing a post, locking a post and changing the category of a post.

    We hope that this information makes it easier to manage Discussions and assess the newer users that might be first joining your communities by posting there. Let us know what you think, and let us know if any other data would be helpful!

      Loading editor
    • White44Tree
      White44Tree removed this reply because:
      22:09, January 13, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Nice! I cannot wait to use this. :)

        Loading editor
    • White44Tree
      White44Tree removed this reply because:
      22:11, January 13, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • I have checked my notifications but all I got was this highlighted thread :(

        Loading editor
    • White44Tree
      White44Tree removed this reply because:
      22:13, January 13, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Will this be incorporated into the Special:Community page? That sounds like a rather grand idea.

        Loading editor
    • If there is a way to get these "reports" on normal Fandom/Wikia communities as well, that would be perfect.

        Loading editor
    • This isn't something I was expecting to be released, but these insights seem like an interesting way to moderate Discussions, even moderating moderators (moderators that don't moderate is an irritation that this update can definitely solve).

      Ursuul wrote:
      Will this be incorporated into the Special:Community page?

      Why should it? Only Admins/Moderators will see it.

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      Ursuul wrote:
      Will this be incorporated into the Special:Community page?
      Why should it? Only Admins/Moderators will see it.

      Ease of access, & I also think that these things would be useful to have publicly accessible. I don’t see why they should be restricted to Sysops & Discussion Moderators only.

        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:
      I don’t see why they should be restricted to Sysops & Discussion Moderators only.

      The "Leaderboard" effect. Not something to encourage. Being on top doesn't matter; helping the wiki should be the focus.

        Loading editor
    • I disagree. From a purely capitalistic perspective, it will encourage competition. That’s what the whole Achievements extension is all about, same with the “Top Contributors This Week” module in the Community Page.

        Loading editor
    • Just look at wikis using badges in the name of competition and then look at the edits that aren't necessarily needed that take place. I've seen too much of it and I'd rather not see more.

        Loading editor
    • True, but these are Discussions related, not content related. A few extra actions of moderation on Discussions doesn’t have the same distasteful effect as unnecessary edits on the main namespace. It can also give a reasonable idea of how much activity is expected for new users wanting to become Discussion Moderators. If they can see what the standard is, they can know what to work towards.

        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:
      Will this be incorporated into the Special:Community page? That sounds like a rather grand idea.

      We don't plan to incorporate this into the Community page. And (regarding the subsequent conversation about this), the feedback from the Community page is one reason why we decided that this should be accessible to moderators and admins only. It is challenging to encourage contribution based on leaderboards without also motivating junk editing, as DEmersonJMFM said. And driving contribution is not the direct goal of Discussions Insights.

      We do want to explore integrating Discussions activity on the Community Page in the future.

        Loading editor
    • Hmmm, alright then. I hold myself well answered.

        Loading editor
    • We'll have to agree to disagree. Unnecessary posts or moderation actions are no different crossing namespaces. I'd rather people just be interested in the topic than competing for an imaginary top spot that doesn't really mean that they deserve it or are better than other editors contributing to a discussion.

      Edit: I tend to avoid using contribution numbers as a standard for promotion. Other factors such as need, interaction with others, and drive to perform the position's duties are more important to consider. How active a moderator would expect to be could be proportional to the activity of Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • No, no I concede. I think you are correct. Still, a Discussions Activity on the Community Page does sound like something to hope for, & this won’t really bother me, since I’m an Admin on many Wikis & will be able to see these Moderation Insights.

        Loading editor
    • Discussions activity integrated almost anywhere open and visible on the wiki, by default, would be great.

        Loading editor
    • I am so excited!

        Loading editor
    • OK, I admit that it is innovative, but one thing:

      Can Fandom, instead of adding the "cool" features nobody asked for, add the things that we do want, like notifications and wikitext support?

        Loading editor
    • They’ve already stated that they were working on both of those. Just wait, I’m sure Discussions won’t be.....quite so bad, given time.

        Loading editor
    • All these useless features, and still no Wikitext. Way to get your priorities straight.

        Loading editor
    • All these barely useful features, and you can't even set up forum-like notifications? Way to do what the community wants you to, fandom...

        Loading editor
    • One small problem. At the Harry Potter wiki we tend to have users accidently report and spam by reporting a large number of posts. The quickest and easiest way to clear away all the reported posts and replies is to be on the /d/reported and "delete" and "undelete" the reported content. I hope this hasn't messed up too much of the data.

      AN approve button availble inside the /d/reported would fix this from happening in the future.

        Loading editor
    • Disnickfanatic wrote:
      Nice! I cannot wait to use this. :)

      i agree! it seems good!!!!!!!

        Loading editor
    • Noice, I'm excited for that.

        Loading editor
    • I rather like it, and I also recognize some of the users there >:}

      This could be well-complemented by graph statistics of daily post counts across Discussions and in each category, along with post reports, post deletions and post edits.

        Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:
      I rather like it, and I also recognize some of the users there >:}

      This could be well-complemented by graph statistics of daily post counts across Discussions and in each category, along with post reports, post deletions and post edits.

      Just what I was thinking.

        Loading editor
    • Nice

        Loading editor
    • I hope this shows up in the Discussions FAQ soon.

      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I hope this shows up in the Discussions FAQ soon.

      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.

      Your profile picture is funny, Fandyllic.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.
      Forums are being phased out. All new Wikis will have Discussions, & old Wikis with Forums will eventually lose their forums & have them be integrated into Discussions. There’s no point for them to let new Wikis have Forums if they’re just going to remove them later.
        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:
      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.
      Forums are being phased out. All new Wikis will have Discussions, & old Wikis with Forums will eventually lose their forums & have them be integrated into Discussions. There’s no point for them to let new Wikis have Forums if they’re just going to remove them later.

      Discussions doesn't have close to feature parity to Forum yet, but I suppose creators of new wikis just don't have a choice.

      Also, I'd rather hear it from Wikia staff. You're just speculating.

        Loading editor
    • What is your username? wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote: I hope this shows up in the Discussions FAQ soon.

      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.

      Your profile picture is funny, Fandyllic.

      Gengar orange
        Loading editor
    • KingAlex105X
      KingAlex105X removed this reply because:
      not reverent
      01:46, January 14, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • This is awesome!!! can't wait for these features! and in no way should it be visible to regular members. it only encourages spamming. post count totals already encourages spamming as it is, we don't need anything more to encourage this kind of behaviour.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      Ursuul wrote:


      Fandyllic wrote:
      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.
      Forums are being phased out. All new Wikis will have Discussions, & old Wikis with Forums will eventually lose their forums & have them be integrated into Discussions. There’s no point for them to let new Wikis have Forums if they’re just going to remove them later.
      Discussions doesn't have close to feature parity to Forum yet, but I suppose creators of new wikis just don't have a choice.

      Also, I'd rather hear it from Wikia staff. You're just speculating.

      He's actually not speculating on that - Wikia IS actually going to phase Forums out in favor of Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Sounds like a good idea.

        Loading editor
    • Upgrade the forum/discussions.

      • Make us quote multiple posts.
      • Make a bullet and number button, in case if people would want to use them, but don't know how.
      • Add post number in the forum.
      • Add font color, size and type.
      • Add strike-through and underline buttons.
      • Limit the post amount by dividing them into multiple pages. 50 posts per page.
      • Add thread pinning.
        Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:
      This could be well-complemented by graph statistics of daily post counts across Discussions and in each category, along with post reports, post deletions and post edits.

      Maybe instead of daily (or perhaps in combination), how about totals over the listed intervals (30 and 90 days)? Could be useful in identifying how active these users are in relation to the entire wiki (assuming only six users are listed though from the bottom lines in the images probably not).

        Loading editor
    • This looks awesome! I can't wait for this! While I would like wikitext to be added, I really really hope you don't add quoting comments, because that is the most annoying thing on Forums is users constantly quoting each other, especially the last comment made, and I just find it completely unnecessary. Especially where it gets to the point that it looks like a pyramid and I scroll far to pass it. If I want to reply to a certain comment by a certain user, I can easily just type out the username and my response to it.

      (Those last two images are clearly from the Pokémon Wiki. I have so many actions! Lol.)

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      Upgrade the forum/discussions.
      • Make us quote multiple posts.
      • Make a bullet and number button, in case if people would want to use them, but don't know how.
      • Add post number in the forum.
      • Add font color, size and type.
      • Add strike-through and underline buttons.
      • Limit the post amount by dividing them into multiple pages. 50 posts per page.

      If wikia did this there would be no need for new "Discussions" crap.

      But who am I kidding - that's too easy for FanDumb to implement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      What they should do instead is start from complete scratch (by which I mean identically copy every social media site/format to-date), then make every decision imaginable that no user ever wants. Then they should blow off all the public outcries by creating completely skewed data that only shows "people" who "favor" the new idea (by which I mean ass-kissers who only want promotions). FanDumb then uses this data to self-inflate their own product and also comments some BS to help ease the tension (thereby creating more tension) against their rivals. Afterwards they make a public announcement that this update will be mandatory for all wikis, thus rubbing the final salt into their users' wounds.

      This idea is flawless. I should become an air-headed CEO in real life and be successful just like the rest of the U.S.'s major corporations.

        Loading editor
    • Good to see Discussions is being developed on further over time. I do not think Discussions is a good place for Wiki-related discussion to happen (then again, I didn't think the Forum extension was, either), but for socializing and other things like that, it's pretty good. Moderator tools are of course important to that end, and it is nice to see some new ones coming out soon.

      In the future some features I would like to see are the following:

      • Easier replying, either in the form of
        • Quotes (potentially more than one quote per post, too)
        • Numbered posts, which you can hyperlink back to by doing @<number>
      • Pinned threads
      • Better accessible formatting help
        Loading editor
    • Wow usefl notes

        Loading editor
    • I need some help in the wikia that I created. Should I delete the wikia page? How should I do that?

        Loading editor
    • Callofduty4 wrote: Good to see Discussions is being developed on further over time. I do not think Discussions is a good place for Wiki-related discussion to happen (then again, I didn't think the Forum extension was, either), but for socializing and other things like that, it's pretty good. Moderator tools are of course important to that end, and it is nice to see some new ones coming out soon.

      In the future some features I would like to see are the following:

      • Easier replying, either in the form of
        • Quotes (potentially more than one quote per post, too)
        • Numbered posts, which you can hyperlink back to by doing @<number>
      • Pinned threads
      • Better accessible formatting help

      I already mentioned these potential improvements.

        Loading editor
    • Damn, I have read the thread like 10 times and I still don't know what is it about, can someone help?

        Loading editor
    • Interesting feature. 

      it only works on communities on the largest communities.

        Loading editor
    • @TheIndependent40: It will allow for moderators and admins/sysops to view the most active users on discussions in a certain period of time. It will also allow admins and mods to check on each other to see who is not pulling their weight.

      This will definitely be useful for moderation. I do want to ask, how will it be accessible? Will it appear under the "view reported posts" option?

        Loading editor
    • Also, I'm interested as to what the layout would be like on a mobile or tablet device. The end result should hopefully be rather more adaptable than the Admin Dashboard.

        Loading editor
    • So far, any updates made on the Discussions feature seem good. But I honestly still like and prefer the Forum.

      However, is there any chance that wikitext may still work on Discussions at all? A lot of wikis are democratic (like the Plants vs. Zombies Wiki) and use templates to cast in their votes on particular voting threads. It's a common practice for users to use voting templates for voting.

      FANMADE Pinkie Pie jumping Pinkgirl234 Message Wall Element of Laughter16:29, January 14, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • can we has some useful feturz instead of dumb things plz thx

        Loading editor
    • Smgamermat77 wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:

      Ursuul wrote:

      He's actually not speculating on that - Wikia IS actually going to phase Forums out in favor of Discussions.

      He is speculating about the reason.
        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

      Upgrade the forum/discussions.

      • Make us quote multiple posts.
      • Make a bullet and number button, in case if people would want to use them, but don't know how.
      • Add post number in the forum.
      • Add font color, size and type.
      • Add strike-through and underline buttons.
      • Limit the post amount by dividing them into multiple pages. 50 posts per page.
      • Add thread pinning.

      Callofduty4 wrote:

      Good to see Discussions is being developed on further over time. I do not think Discussions is a good place for Wiki-related discussion to happen (then again, I didn't think the Forum extension was, either), but for socializing and other things like that, it's pretty good. Moderator tools are of course important to that end, and it is nice to see some new ones coming out soon.

      In the future some features I would like to see are the following:

      • Easier replying, either in the form of
        • Quotes (potentially more than one quote per post, too)
        • Numbered posts, which you can hyperlink back to by doing @<number>
      • Pinned threads
      • Better accessible formatting help

      Both of you should consider adding questions about features you want to the Discussions FAQ or the talk page.

        Loading editor
    • An FAQ is a set of frequently asked questions. The community staff are more qualified to determine what's been asked for by the community than us individuals.

        Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote: An FAQ is a set of frequently asked questions. The community staff are more qualified to determine what's been asked for by the community than us individuals.

      I dispute this. Besides, they can remove questions they think are inappropriate. Wikia staff has demonstrated consistently over the years (like 10 years) they aren't really great at gauging the community, especially at the admin level. They also are very poor at keeping help pages and feature info up to date. I've fixed many a help page that was out-of-date or neglected.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      What is your username? wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote: I hope this shows up in the Discussions FAQ soon.

      It would also be nice to know why new wikis don't have the option to use Forum over Discussions.

      Your profile picture is funny, Fandyllic.

      Gengar orange

      You only posted a picture of your avatar. You must reply something.

        Loading editor
    • Ottoman Hold wrote: @TheIndependent40: It will allow for moderators and admins/sysops to view the most active users on discussions in a certain period of time. It will also allow admins and mods to check on each other to see who is not pulling their weight.

      This will definitely be useful for moderation. I do want to ask, how will it be accessible? Will it appear under the "view reported posts" option?

      Thanks for explaining.

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      00:43, January 15, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • This will make usage of Discussions a heck of a lot easier. Thank you!

        Loading editor
    • Its what threads your posting to the most places of websites!

        Loading editor
    • It got highlighted - if you have edited this wiki, you'll recieve a thread notification.

        Loading editor
    • I edited it like over 10 times i mostly edit my own wiki

        Loading editor
    • ..... still wish forms could stay.

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      00:42, January 15, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Oliverwestern wrote: This will make usage of Discussions a heck of a lot easier. Thank you!

      TERRIFIC! Keep it up!

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      00:42, January 15, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic.
      00:42, January 15, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • The moderater actions tab is fantastic. This is like the adminstats info box on wikipedia. Fantastic. I deeply appreciate it.


      oh and Whats with the removed comments?

        Loading editor
    • MechQuester wrote:
      The moderater actions tab is fantastic. This is like the adminstats info box on wikipedia. Fantastic. I deeply appreciate it.
      I agree. I think expanded a bit as well to the rest of the Wiki. Sure, you can check Edit Histories & Contributions Pages, but to have everything in a neat Statistic that you can quickly look at would be wonderful when applied to Chat Moderators, Content Moderators, Rollbacks, & Admins. You could quickly see who is utilizing their user-rights & who is neglecting them, & make informed decisions about their future on Wikis with said information. An Adminstats box for all of Wikia would be awesome, if it doesn’t already exist.
      MechQuester wrote:
      oh and Whats with the removed comments?
      Censorship

      All jokes aside, those deleted comments were nothing of any real substance. Go to the edit history if you’d like to see what they were, although I recommend against it, due to the cringe. Suffice it to say that an edgelord came through along with a slew of off-topic comments.
        Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:
      It got highlighted - if you have edited this wiki, you'll recieve a thread notification.

      Speedo, even if you haven't edited you can still see it - as long as you're logged in, you'll see it.

        Loading editor
    • Need some help!

        Loading editor
    • MrCents 04 wrote:
      Need some help!

      What do you need help with?

        Loading editor
    • Hohoho~

      Interesting :3

        Loading editor
    • Americhino wrote:
      MrCents 04 wrote:
      Need some help!
      What do you need help with?

      I need some assistance in the wikia of Saga of Tanya the Evil. 

        Loading editor
    • This isn't the place to ask such things, and even if it were, you still haven't explained what you need help with.

        Loading editor
    • Am I correct in assuming this will only be available on the browser versions of the discussions? 

        Loading editor
    • Discussions Insights!! Ha! More fancy ways to cover up the treachery of the MALICIOUS EXCUSES that you come up to MURDER the Special:Forum!! Why did you replace an easy-to-use, good-looking, highlightable platform with an ugly-looking social media rip-off that isn't even finished!? #BringBackForums

        Loading editor
    • TOTMGsRock wrote:
      Discussions Insights!! Ha! More fancy ways to cover up the treachery of the MALICIOUS EXCUSES that you come up to MURDER the Special:Forum!! Why did you replace an easy-to-use, good-looking, highlightable platform with an ugly-looking social media rip-off that isn't even finished!? #BringBackForums

      Personally, I think it's a way forward for Wikia. Even if it's social-media esque. Here's a fact of life for you: Things change, and if you don't adapt with it, then you'll be left behind.

        Loading editor
    • TOTMGsRock wrote:
      Discussions Insights!! Ha! More fancy ways to cover up the treachery of the MALICIOUS EXCUSES that you come up to MURDER the Special:Forum!! Why did you replace an easy-to-use, good-looking, highlightable platform with an ugly-looking social media rip-off that isn't even finished!? #BringBackForums
      • Be glad the Community Central still has a forum.
      • Be glad that about 90% of the wikis still have a forum.
      • Of course Discussions isn't finished, it has been released only a while ago.
        Loading editor
    • cool man

        Loading editor
    • If Discussions are so great, why hasn't it replaced Forum on CC? Because you need to demonstrate wikitext behavior to help people with what still makes up 99% of wiki content.

      So, what do people on Discussions-only wikis do to demonstrate wikitext behavior when helping people on those wikis? They have to use Message Walls or blogs?

      Awkward.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, isn't that the first thing on the forums?

        Loading editor
    • Give code blocks with syntax highlighting, and CC is essentially sorted. The format of both Forum and Discussions never looked amenable to "block" templates. I notice quite a few people mention voting templates, yet inline text formatting possibly overlaps that (e.g: Support).

      Not that this is on-topic, of course. :p

        Loading editor
    • All I have to say is to include wikitext and I will be a magnet attached to a car.

        Loading editor
    • At this point, i wanna say this:

      I don't care if you guys want the forums to stay forever on wikia and/or wants discussions scrapped.

      We gotta move on with new changes, we can't have the same thing forever.

        Loading editor
    • We can have the same thing if the alternative is useless.

        Loading editor
    • Zambiealex wrote:
      All I have to say is to include wikitext and I will be a magnet attached to a car.

      I agree.

        Loading editor
    • ReDquinox wrote:
      This isn't the place to ask such things, and even if it were, you still haven't explained what you need help with.

      That's right.

        Loading editor
    • Not sure what's worse, the anime avatars or the fact some people will literally abuse this to be on the top.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, the "leaderboard effect" is exactly why that much detail's only for admins and /d mods.

        Loading editor
    • NukenZack wrote:
      Not sure what's worse, the anime avatars or the fact some people will literally abuse this to be on the top.

      I don't think the icons matter

        Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:
      Oh, the "leaderboard effect" is exactly why that much detail's only for admins and /d mods.

      Still, you'd likely have the inititive of commenting on whatever you can to climb up the ranks if you were really interested on climbing the table.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      • Be glad the Community Central still has a forum.
      • Be glad that about 90% of the wikis still have a forum.
      • Of course Discussions isn't finished, it has been released only a while ago.


      • All the forums are going to be MURDERED for no apparent reason.
      • Special:Forum is not obsolete, it's not even old enough to have to be replaced.
      • Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 08.59.45.808HKT
        And Discussions is...
        Loading editor
    • There is no need to even respond to that. Stop thread hijacking. There's a much better place for general comments on Discussions - the announcement.

        Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote: There is no need to even respond to that. Stop thread hijacking. There's a much better place for general comments on Discussions - the announcement.

      Yes, like this one.

        Loading editor
    • ?

        Loading editor
    • Sepsep wrote:
      ?

      Really? Your one and only edit is "?"

        Loading editor
    • TheOriginalDoctor wrote:
      One small problem. At the Harry Potter wiki we tend to have users accidently report and spam by reporting a large number of posts. The quickest and easiest way to clear away all the reported posts and replies is to be on the /d/reported and "delete" and "undelete" the reported content. I hope this hasn't messed up too much of the data.

      AN approve button availble inside the /d/reported would fix this from happening in the future.

      You'll be pleased to hear that we will be adding the 'approve' option to the main 'reported' list soon!

        Loading editor
    • Ottoman Hold wrote:
      This will definitely be useful for moderation. I do want to ask, how will it be accessible? Will it appear under the "view reported posts" option?

      Like the entry point for the 'reported' view, there will be a link visible to mods and admins on the main layout.

      Fixer1138 wrote: Am I correct in assuming this will only be available on the browser versions of the discussions? 

      For now, that is correct. Mobile users can access this, and all other moderation features, in the mobile web layout.

        Loading editor
    • Cool, can't wait!

        Loading editor
    • Does being a Discussion Moderator give you moderation rights on the Discussions?

        Loading editor
    • Yes. That's one of the reasons why the "Moderator" group got renamed to "Discussions Moderator" a year ago while introducing Content Moderators.

        Loading editor
    • I really wish Wikia staff wouldn't cherry pick what they respond to as much as they do. It would also be nice to see Discussions FAQ get more frequent attention.

        Loading editor
    • Discussions Insights are up!! I must say i'm very pleased with it, my only two comments are

      1. Allow the Post/Reply count to go past 999, it appears a ton of people are meeting and surpassing that number and i'd like a more accurate count.

      2. also make an approve button available in the /d/reported, as The quickest and easiest way to clear away all the reported posts and replies is to be on the /d/reported and "delete" and "delete" the reported content I'm worried this will mess with the data and not give accurate stats

      if I don't get a reply I'll just send an email with my concerns. 

        Loading editor
    • TheOriginalDoctor wrote:
      Discussions Insights are up!! I must say i'm very pleased with it, my only two comments are

      1. Allow the Post/Reply count to go past 999, it appears a ton of people are meeting and surpassing that number and i'd like a more accurate count.

      2. also make an approve button available in the /d/reported, as The quickest and easiest way to clear away all the reported posts and replies is to be on the /d/reported and "delete" and "delete" the reported content I'm worried this will mess with the data and not give accurate stats

      if I don't get a reply I'll just send an email with my concerns. 

      1. We'll be updating that count to be more precise, in the near future.

      2. I answered this earlier in the thread; we'll be adding the 'approve' option to the main 'reported' list.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, ok. That's good to hear. 

      Another thing I've just noticed is that the Dicsussions Insights data doesn't seem to be updating. Does it update every 24 hours or someting?

        Loading editor
    • TheOriginalDoctor wrote:

      Another thing I've just noticed is that the Dicsussions Insights data doesn't seem to be updating. Does it update every 24 hours or someting?

      That is correct, every 24 hours. The queries are somewhat intensive so we'll be exploring some caching and optimization to help bring that time down a little.

        Loading editor
    • Whos was the founder of this whole Community Central?

        Loading editor
    • I don't see how that has anything to do with Discussions Insights, but to answer your question, it was most likely Angela.

        Loading editor
    • These insights sound very intensive and catching to me.

        Loading editor
    • Annabeth and Percy wrote: I don't see how that has anything to do with Discussions Insights, but to answer your question, it was most likely Angela.

      Yup, seems like Angela Beesley. If anyone ever felt embarrassed by their wiki's home page they can look at the first version of CC and feel better.

        Loading editor
    • Do you mean any wiki? Or just this one?

        Loading editor
    • ChristinaGrimmieLove wrote: Do you mean any wiki? Or just this one?

      All wikis that have Discussions enabled should have this turned on now.

        Loading editor
    • BertH wrote:

      TheOriginalDoctor wrote:
      One small problem. At the Harry Potter wiki we tend to have users accidently report and spam by reporting a large number of posts. The quickest and easiest way to clear away all the reported posts and replies is to be on the /d/reported and "delete" and "undelete" the reported content. I hope this hasn't messed up too much of the data.

      AN approve button availble inside the /d/reported would fix this from happening in the future.

      You'll be pleased to hear that we will be adding the 'approve' option to the main 'reported' list soon!

      This is good to hear. I as well have done the delete/un-delete thing as stated. The other thing to mention, on our /d community, whenever we have a new user who posts something against the regulations, I post a standard 'welcome message', indicating everything that a new user needs to know. I also state in the post that i'm "locking and deleting later" at the end of the message. I always report this very message so that the mod team knows to delete if if it's forgotten. I noticed that my reporting stats are incredibly inflated because of this. If you think I should approach this in a different way, please advise.

        Loading editor
    • Discussions are Terrible.

      Ok bai

        Loading editor
    • Thauminomicon wrote: Discussions are Terrible.

      Ok bai

      Surely you have a more constructive comment to share with us all then that? I would love to hear a true break-down on how 'Discussions' has affected your wiki and you life. Please share.

        Loading editor
    • Not the same guy, but

      1. It single-handedly destroyed a roleplaying project I had been preparing for over half a year. When I created the wiki, it turned out that I couldn't get Forum anymore, so I would be forced to use Discussions. However, Discussions and its lack of Wikitext or any form of pleasant interface is entirely unsuitable for RPing, so that whole thing went down the drain.

      2. It is going to destroy all the communities I'm part of once it replaces Forum on there, for the same reason as stated above.

        Loading editor
    • ReDquinox wrote: 1. It single-handedly destroyed a roleplaying project I had been preparing for over half a year. When I created the wiki, it turned out that I couldn't get Forum anymore, so I would be forced to use Discussions. However, Discussions and its lack of Wikitext or any form of pleasant interface is entirely unsuitable for RPing, so that whole thing went down the drain.
      Then use wiki-style forums. They are much better than both Forum and Discussions if you know how to use them, and they support wikitext. There's literally no need to hijack this thread with irrelevant complaints like that.
        Loading editor
    • Hey, Christopher asked for it. I merely delivered.

      Also, have you ever done a roleplay? It's hard on wiki-style forums, to say the least.

        Loading editor
    • ChristopherLeeGallant wrote:

      This is good to hear. I as well have done the delete/un-delete thing as stated. The other thing to mention, on our /d community, whenever we have a new user who posts something against the regulations, I post a standard 'welcome message', indicating everything that a new user needs to know. I also state in the post that i'm "locking and deleting later" at the end of the message. I always report this very message so that the mod team knows to delete if if it's forgotten. I noticed that my reporting stats are incredibly inflated because of this. If you think I should approach this in a different way, please advise.

      The only thing I see fixing this would be some sort of timing mechanism inabled for deleting a post, basicly the ability to set a timer to automaticly deletes a post after a certain amount of time. However, this idea is probably to complex the discussions page. Ignoring your own stats on the 'Discussions Insights > Reports' is probably the only option here.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:
      Then use the wiki-style forums. They are much better than both Forum and Discussions if you know how to use them, and they support wikitext.

      That honestly depends if the person also finds the Wiki-style forums to be a good feature. But personally, I don't find it the best feature, as the only big con here is that you can't notify everyone via a highlight function that an important forum discussion has been set up. At this day, with the Forum feature being the most useful, not everyone would partake much in using the Wiki-style forums unless the wiki you are in has been and is still using the Wiki-style forums, like the case with the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Wiki.

        Loading editor
    • Lets just be sure whos the popular one!

        Loading editor
    • I hope its just a current bug, but not seeing who is doing the 'reporting' is causing us issues. If the stats were flexible enough to filter it for any time frame, it wouldn't be an issue either.

      But the fact is, 'report' spam is a big issue. Us mods need either to see who's doing the reporting in the 'report queue', the 'stats', or both.

        Loading editor
    • ChristopherLeeGallant wrote:
      I hope its just a current bug, but not seeing who is doing the 'reporting' is causing us issues. If the stats were flexible enough to filter it for any time frame, it wouldn't be an issue either.

      But the fact is, 'report' spam is a big issue. Us mods need either to see who's doing the reporting in the 'report queue', the 'stats', or both.

      I completly agree.

      Also giving us Mods the ability to block people from using the report function would help drasticly cut the amount of report spam.

        Loading editor
    • Or, even better, let users be able to unreport posts that they've reported.

        Loading editor
    • both options would be nice.

      report spammers aren't going to want to take back reports, but it would help with accidental reports.

        Loading editor
    • Ability to take back reports solve part of the problem. But they are talking about abusive reporting. Other tools that would be useful is the ability to clear all reports from specific user, ability to sort posts by number times reported, a report throttle so users can only report so many posts per day, the ability to whitelist and blacklist users with possible automatic graylist for users who seem to be spamming the report function. 

        Loading editor
    • Miiohau wrote:
      Ability to take back reports solve part of the problem. But they are talking about abusive reporting. Other tools that would be useful is the ability to clear all reports from specific user, ability to sort posts by number times reported, a report throttle so users can only report so many posts per day, the ability to whitelist and blacklist users with possible automatic graylist for users who seem to be spamming the report function. 

      Those are all great Ideas!

        Loading editor
    • What do you prefer?
       
      13
       
      2
       

      The poll was created at 19:09 on January 18, 2017, and so far 15 people voted.
        Loading editor
    • We are talking about Discussion Insights here and improving them, giving suggestions and what not. Please stop bringing up forums and voting and whatnot.

        Loading editor
    • Annabeth and Percy wrote:
      We are talking about Discussion Insights here and improving them, giving suggestions and what not. Please stop bringing up forums and voting and whatnot.

      It's literally impossible to have any sort of discussion on Discussions here at Community Central without at least one person whinging about Forums.

      I'm not thrilled about it either, I'm certain the Forum crowd and the Discussions crowd on the Marvel wiki won't get along at all, but Fandom has made up their collective minds and no amount of complaining is going to change that. Might as well embrace it 

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic.
      21:26, January 18, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      21:26, January 18, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Annabeth and Percy wrote: We are talking about Discussion Insights here and improving them, giving suggestions and what not. Please stop bringing up forums and voting and whatnot.

      I know right?

        Loading editor
    • I red them all 

        Loading editor
    • Fixer1138 wrote:

      Might as well embrace it 

      This is what Wikia is hoping. They actually don't really want to respond to community pushback, they just want us to bend over.

      There needs to be a side-by-side list of features between Forum and Discussions, so people can see what they're losing. Maybe I'll work on this, but it hardly seems worth it. I've been working on Wikia wikis for 10 years and Wikia doesn't respond that well to polite discussion. They had to get severely burned around 2010 just to learn some lessons. They seem to prefer getting burned.

        Loading editor
    • Oppose- I like Forums better

        Loading editor
    • Yay can't wait :3

        Loading editor
    • Thanks and great initiative.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      Fixer1138 wrote:

      Might as well embrace it 

      This is what Wikia is hoping. They actually don't really want to respond to community pushback, they just want us to bend over.

      There needs to be a side-by-side list of features between Forum and Discussions, so people can see what they're losing. Maybe I'll work on this, but it hardly seems worth it. I've been working on Wikia wikis for 10 years and Wikia doesn't respond that well to polite discussion. They had to get severely burned around 2010 just to learn some lessons. They seem to prefer getting burned.

      What burn? The bulbapedia one? Or something else?


      P.S. IIRC, the founder of CC is not Angela

        Loading editor
    • Many thanks to everyone who has given feedback on this thread. And to those who have helped keep it on-topic as a thread focused on the Insights feature. Please continue as Discussions Insights becomes part of the workflow for many of you.

      I want to confirm once again that your suggestions, objections and conversations are a huge part of the process as Discussions continues to evolve. Moderation is a key part of things, even though the moderators are a smaller group when compared to general users.

        Loading editor
    • Cool!

        Loading editor
    • Do Discussions moderators have powers on the wiki?

        Loading editor
    • Y

        Loading editor
    • According to Special:ListGroupRights, Discussions Moderators:

      • Can archive wall posts (wallarchive)
      • Can delete article comments (commentdelete)
      • Can edit article comments (commentedit)
      • Can edit wall posts (walledit)
      • Can kick/ban users from Chat (chatmoderator)
      • Can move article comments (commentmove)
      • Can move wall messages (wallmessagemove)
      • Can notify everyone about a Forum thread (notifyeveryone)
      • Can remove wall threads (wallremove)
      • Delete comments on blog articles (blog-comments-delete)
      • Has admin access to the forums (forumadmin)
      • Remove group from own account: Discussions Moderators
        Loading editor
    • What are u a bot?

        Loading editor
    • What this has to do with anything

        Loading editor
    • Discussion Moderators are the type of users who will likely use Discussions Insights, however they have many powers beyond dealing with Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      Please take the conversation to your message walls! Thanks.
      19:08, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      Please take the conversation to your message walls! Thanks.
      19:08, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      19:08, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      19:08, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      19:08, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      19:14, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      Thanks for trying :)
      19:14, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      20:26, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      20:26, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      20:26, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      20:26, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • BertH
      BertH removed this reply because:
      20:26, January 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Well on topic...that's great for the admins.& moderators.. the rest is garbage..usless to us all.

        Loading editor
    • It's not super useful for admins and moderators actually, but it's better than nothing.

        Loading editor
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:22, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:22, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:22, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Kerri Amber
      Kerri Amber removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      17:21, January 27, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • I don't use discussions particularly often but I can honestly say it seems rather silly to keep the statistics visible only to moderators and administrators, when Special:Community already has nearly all the wiki equivalent functions tallied there. That's just me, though. As for the rest I don't have much to say because the wikis I moderate on don't use discussions (yet).

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      01:51, January 29, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      01:51, January 29, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      01:51, January 29, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Judging by the amount of deleted replies I think it's best to close this thread. No one else seems to have anything relevant or new to say 

        Loading editor
    • Looks amazing so far, BertH. :D

        Loading editor
    • If Discussions will be introduced in Pixel Gun Wiki, can you at least keep the forums as well?

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: If Discussions will be introduced in Pixel Gun Wiki, can you at least keep the forums as well?

      The forums are getting removed but not yet.

        Loading editor
    • Jackninja5DipperGravityFalls wrote:

      JustLeafy wrote: If Discussions will be introduced in Pixel Gun Wiki, can you at least keep the forums as well?

      The forums are getting removed but not yet.

      I wish they wouldn't, maybe at least they should make a new and modern cooler-looking forum.

        Loading editor
    • Forum is effectively removed for new wikis and wikis that didn't switch to Forum from wikitext forums. Wikia staff won't come out and say it, but you can't enable Forum on a wiki that doesn't have it already.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: I wish they wouldn't, maybe at least they should make a new and modern cooler-looking forum.

      That is what they are trying to do with Discussions.


      Can now stop hijacking the thread? This supposed to be about the new insights feature of discussions.  

        Loading editor
    • Miiohau wrote: Can now stop hijacking the thread? This supposed to be about the new insights feature of discussions.  

      Yeah, as much as I don't like discussions, I agree that this particular thread is not the place to discuss that. Take it to a new thread.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Wikia staff won't come out and say it, but you can't enable Forum on a wiki that doesn't have it already.

      Added to Help:Forum in November: "As of November 2016, it is not possible to enable Forum on communities where it is not already in operation."

        Loading editor
    • Veralann wrote:
      I don't use discussions particularly often but I can honestly say it seems rather silly to keep the statistics visible only to moderators and administrators, when Special:Community already has nearly all the wiki equivalent functions tallied there. That's just me, though. As for the rest I don't have much to say because the wikis I moderate on don't use discussions (yet).

      The feedback from the Community Page is one reason why we decided to make this only visible to moderators and admins for now. Some of the moderators on active Discussions communities have noted (on this thread and elsewhere) that they think this is the right choice, to avoid users making posts for the sole purpose of getting to the top of the list. We would very much like to hear more details from those who would like to see the stats made fully public. How would this help your community and motivate good contribution? Which stats are the most beneficial to have public?

        Loading editor
    • BertH wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:
      Wikia staff won't come out and say it, but you can't enable Forum on a wiki that doesn't have it already.

      Added to Help:Forum in November: "As of November 2016, it is not possible to enable Forum on communities where it is not already in operation."

      This should be at the top, not at the bottom. Also, putting it in help is a weak way to notify admins of a major limitation.

      Lastly, as it's been said by many users, Discussions is not a good replacement for Forum where you need to give wikitext examples.

        Loading editor
    • BertH wrote:

      Which stats are the most beneficial to have public?

      I think all of them, but Moderator actions seems like it doesn't need to be private. It would help users who are considering becoming a moderator see what kind of things they would do.

      Some ideas for new insights stats:

      • Something that tracks links posted in Discussions that are local and external.
      • Categories or posts that have the most follows.
      • Posts by reply count.
      • Users who have had their posts reported.
        Loading editor
    • We need to use the chat a little more

        Loading editor
    • BertH wrote:

      Veralann wrote:
      I don't use discussions particularly often but I can honestly say it seems rather silly to keep the statistics visible only to moderators and administrators, when Special:Community already has nearly all the wiki equivalent functions tallied there. That's just me, though. As for the rest I don't have much to say because the wikis I moderate on don't use discussions (yet).

      The feedback from the Community Page is one reason why we decided to make this only visible to moderators and admins for now. Some of the moderators on active Discussions communities have noted (on this thread and elsewhere) that they think this is the right choice, to avoid users making posts for the sole purpose of getting to the top of the list. We would very much like to hear more details from those who would like to see the stats made fully public. How would this help your community and motivate good contribution? Which stats are the most beneficial to have public?

      My home wiki in particular (the LEGO Message Boards Wiki) is (or at least, was) a wiki where the primary editors (maybe 10 of us edited regularly) were particularly competitive in making the most quality edits each week. They used the Special:Community page to keep track of how many edits they were making. We encourage everyone to use Special:Forum but most don't, except to post in an occasional thread every once in a while. I believe that whenever discussions get enabled there that a public leaderboard would encourage users to use discussions more. Not to mention that the users there would likely be unhappy knowing that there is a leaderboard and that they wouldn't be able to see it. This is purely speculation on my part, however.

        Loading editor
    • BertH wrote:

      Veralann wrote:
      I don't use discussions particularly often but I can honestly say it seems rather silly to keep the statistics visible only to moderators and administrators, when Special:Community already has nearly all the wiki equivalent functions tallied there. That's just me, though. As for the rest I don't have much to say because the wikis I moderate on don't use discussions (yet).

      The feedback from the Community Page is one reason why we decided to make this only visible to moderators and admins for now. Some of the moderators on active Discussions communities have noted (on this thread and elsewhere) that they think this is the right choice, to avoid users making posts for the sole purpose of getting to the top of the list. We would very much like to hear more details from those who would like to see the stats made fully public. How would this help your community and motivate good contribution? Which stats are the most beneficial to have public?

      Why not leave it up to the admins of each Wiki? Just add a button that would make it visible or invisible and have only bureaucrats have access to the button.

        Loading editor
    • Lol some people are lazy some are hyper that's how the world is unforuntinly :(

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      off topic
      21:36, February 7, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      off topic
      21:36, February 7, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      off topic
      21:35, February 7, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • How do you remove discussions

        Loading editor
    • You can't.

        Loading editor
    • Fourms are better

        Loading editor
    • Ikr

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.