FANDOM

• I was wondering if there is a way to either disable the visual editor or set source editing as default for our wiki. I know how to change it under user preferences, I'm asking if there is a way to set source as default for all users who edit.

The visual editor is by far the absolute worst piece of garbage ever created by Wikia. It's completely useless at doing anything more than making simple text edits properly. This is especially true when it comes to creating a new page, using preloaded templates or adding an infobox properly. We're getting a little tired of going behind people who use visual mode and fixing the mistakes it leaves behind.

We have a new game in our series coming out in a few weeks and I fear we will be spending all of our time reformatting new pages and cleaning up after people using the visual editor.

Loading editor
    • While I don't know if it's possible to disable the Visual editor on your wiki, I believe it is possible to select which editor you use by default in your Preferences. The problem is, the individual user would have to change their settings for that to work. Maybe you could write and highlight a blog post on your wiki explaining the basics of using Source mode?

Loading editor
    • Hi,

Unfortunately it is not possible to disable the VisualEditor wiki-wide. Like M67 said above, you can choose to use SE by default via Special:Preferences.

I would suggest you make a blog post suggesting that users use SE to prevent breaking things.

Loading editor
    • I know the Star Trek wiki directs all edits to source mode, like if you log out and try to edit a page there or if your preferences say VE you'll get source mode regardless. Not sure if they've done it with some sort of JS or if they requested it from staff (though staff may not grant things like that anymore)

Loading editor
    • ΜΖD wrote: I know the Star Trek wiki directs all edits to source mode, like if you log out and try to edit a page there or if your preferences say VE you'll get source mode regardless. Not sure if they've done it with some sort of JS or if they requested it from staff (though staff may not grant things like that anymore)

Which Star Trek wiki are you referring to?

Loading editor
    • Here

It's also gone under the edit drop-down

Loading editor
    • ΜΖD wrote: Here

It's also gone under the edit drop-down

Well I don't know why it's like that for you, but I set my preferences to visual mode and clicked on several pages there and it brought up the visual editor every time.

Loading editor
    • ReapTheChaos wrote:
      Well I don't know why it's like that for you, but I set my preferences to visual mode and clicked on several pages there and it brought up the visual editor every time.

Must be an issue with my tablet. Have to check on my PC later.

But, after googling around it seems Wikia used to honor requests to remove it, but no longer do. That was a long time ago though, that's what I was thinking about :s

Loading editor
    • I believe doing so would be against the Terms of Use.

Loading editor

Wow, I just discovered that with the new login system, if you log out in a different tab and log back in, then submit a thread comment, your comment vanishes without an error message. Thanks Wikia.

So, ReapTheChaos, the short version:

If you're talking about the "New Visual Editor", Wikia Staff will disable it as the default for anons, but it will still be available in the drop down menu, and for people who have set it in their preferences. Unfortunately, they retired the "use site default" option long ago.

Write in to Special:Contact/general with specific diff links or step-by-step instructions of how the New Visual Editor is causing problems. Also include the diff links of the things you have to fix.

Ask them to set the old editor as default until the problem is fixed. Since they appear to have abandoned development of the New Visual Editor, this practically means "forever".

If you're talking about the old "visual mode" rich text editor which shows the "visual" and "source" tabs, then you can use __NOWYSIWYG__ on individual pages to disable it. Or write in to staff with specific problems and ask them to disable it for the whole wiki. (I've never done this, so it might not work.)

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.