Hi, I'm one of the Sysops at Elder Scrolls Wiki, and I would like to put our wiki in the spotlight.
We've been working on our wiki more and more in recent times as more people are joining, the reason being that I like to see new people joining, frankly because it means I don't have to run round the entire wiki every day fixing everything up. Hope to hear from the Wikia staff soon. Thanks, - Game LordTalk|Contribs 08:36, 17 May 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Game Lord. The Elder Scrolls Wiki looks like you have a lot happening indeed and it's great to see! You have plenty of content, and a very comprehensive front page. You say that you are undergoing a major site re-do on your front page right now; I would love for you to finish that and then get back to us about the spotlight. I have a feeling it will work much better to have people see you the first time once it's done!
- Meanwhile, I have a few other things that I think would need to be worked on, based on our spotlight criteria before we add you to the spotlight list, so you could add them to your re-do list:
- 1) It's good that your default skin is Monaco-sapphire. However you've been customizing menus and css for the other skins. Also, your logo is the monobook size. Could you create a Wiki_wide.png, customize the menus at MediaWiki:Monaco-sidebar, and generally make the monaco skin look like part of the site design? You can put any monobook.css customization into common.css (I think you are doing some of this already), and/or customize monaco.css as well if that helps.
- 2) You have over 150 uncategorized pages. And many of the pages I saw had redlinked categories. You're site-redesign link talks about revamping the categories, so I assume this might reflect that process.
- 3) Remember to keep welcoming new users. Your welcome message is great (have you ever thought about adding an image to it??), but I saw a couple of unwelcomed users in recent changes when I looked....
- Good luck with the site re-do -- I look forward to seeing the results! -- Wendy (talk) 01:54, 19 May 2008 (UTC)
Star Trek: Beta Fleet Be All You Can Be Edit
Hello, I'm Fleet President Benjeman Washington, I would like to put Beta Fleet in the Soptlight. We are a RPG AOL/AIM/Message Board Sim group.
Our Mission To provide conditions of friendship and mutual respect for all. To ensure an organization that is free for all To supply a fun and safe environment for all our members. To go where know one has gone before To provide everyone, without regard to race, color, ancestry, age, sex, or any other consideration, membership to this group.
I made the banner but you can if thats whats suppose to happen http://i25.tinypic.com/snkrv7.png
- Hello Benjeman. Beta Fleet looks like a fun wiki and you've put a lot of effort into setting it up. It doesn't quite meet our spotlight critera yet. Notably:
- You have only 33 articles intead of 100
- 32 of those articles (so effectively all of your content) are not categorized. There's no real navigation structure for visitors.
- So right now, I'd have to suggest you keep working on the wiki, and when it's a bit bigger and re-organized, ask us again :). -- Wendy (talk) 16:18, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
Club Penguin Wiki Edit
I, Barkjon, the webmaster of the Club Penguin Wiki (though not the founder), would like to add the Club Penguin Wiki to the spotlight rotation. It has almost 200 pages and at least ten administrators. Check it out, browse around, ect. Thanks!-- Barkjon 23:35, 5 May 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Barkjon. Club Penguin is a nice wiki with lots of content and things happening. In terms of the spotlight, you have over 100 pages, a nice logo and main page, and you are using the monaco skin, all of which is great! There are a couple of things you need to fix though:
- I couldn't find any welcome templates, and there were unwelcomed contributors in your recent changes, some who had contributed several days ago.
- You have a good category structure, but about 20 pages are uncategorized -- can you find them a home?
- With those relatively minor adjustments I think you would be a good candidate for a spotlight. -- Wendy (talk) 16:29, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
I was wondering if we could get the Lemony Snicket Wiki on a spotlight sometime. I don't know the requirements or anything about this so could you please tell me what I need.
Thanks, Jonathan "Asoue1286" Snicket
- Hi Jonathan,
- There are 6 basic requirements for a spotlight, which you can read here. Looking at the wiki today I see some things you would have to work on from that list:
- Although I know you welcome new users, I couldn't find the welcome templates.
- Your default skin at the moment is Monobook, and not Monaco; you can change this by setting AdminSkin to Monaco-sapphire or even Monaco-custom if you want to customize it.
- You have a logo, but it's a small one. A proper wiki_wide.png (266x75 pixels) would be nice.
- Your main page has some pictures and information on how to help, but no links to books, or characters, or really any of the wiki content. I know sometimes that seems redundant with the menus, but it is important for new visitors. Also you have your username and a request for help; this is redundant with the wiki's request for help right under it and also includes a redlink aside from being the wrong place for that kind of request; the wiki's request is a better choice..
- two-thirds (135) of your articles are uncategorized and there is no category structure.
Hi. I would like to present to you GCSE Wiki for your consideration. GCSE Wiki started several months ago and since then has clocked up over 300 pages. We have a category structure and welcome all new users. We would be delighted if it were to be a Wikia Spotlight and if this is not possible would be happy with some advice on getting GCSE Wiki up to a Spotlight standard. Thank you.19:41, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- Hi. GCSE is a good wiki; your pages all seem to have god content on them and as you noted you meet all of our criteria for a spot. I'll add you to the list. -- Wendy (talk) 12:18, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
- We have been at the top of the list for a few weeks, are we ment to be doing something from our end? Thanks. 17:44, 9 June 2008 (UTC)
Hi, I'm Ultimate Dragon Knight (a.k.a. U.D.K.) and I'd like to submit the Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Maker Wiki for a Spotlight. Recently this site has accumulated several new pages. It may be a different type of wiki than most, considering all the articles are pretty well made-up, but it is a nice wiki. Sadly, we only have a few contributors. Mainly only three, me, the adopter of the wiki, and another person, who I feel like making a sysop because in less than a month he has made over 100 cards. I know we have about 90 or so uncategorized pages, but we need the publicity. I know the wiki has great potential. Thanks. ~~ U.D.K. (Talk Contribs Local LocalTalk) 02:38, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Ultimate Dragon Knight. Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Maker Wiki looks like a good wiki with lots of content. Before we can spotlight it there are a few things which need to be done:
- As you noted, you have nearly 100 uncategorized pages. Please find a home for them :)
- In a related issue, I couldn't figure out the category structure. Most of the categories seemed to just be selfcontained, making it difficult to find other similar content. It would be nice, for example, if the Booster Packs were all together in one category. I also noticed that nearly every page I clicked on in Recent Changes had multiple redlinked categories. So my overall impression was that things were not very organized.
- You have very nice welcome templates, and I could find users you had welcomed, but there were also a number of contributors in "Recent Changes" who hadn't been welcomed.
- Aside from these concerns you have everything we need for a spotlight. Let me know if I can help you with the categories; once they are straightened out I think this would make a nice spotlight. -- Wendy (talk) 23:21, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
- There. Almost all pages are categorized and now I think we have a clear category structure. I'm glad that there are a few active contributors on Yu-Gi-Oh Card Maker or else it would have taken forever. I think it is ready for a spotlight. What do you think? ~~ U.D.K. (Talk Contribs Local Local Talk) 19:48, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
I'm fairly new to the wiki scene but quick learner. Maybe our wiki isn't ready for a spotlight yet, but was wondering if you could take a look and let me know if it has promise and what I'd need to do it. We're a wiki for Halloween, Horror & Special FX makeup. www.HauntWiki.com
Thanks, Thea184.108.40.206 17:57, 8 April 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Thea. One requirement for spotlights is that the wiki should be hosted at Wikia. I've left you a message about this here. Angela (talk) 18:51, 8 April 2008 (UTC)
I've noticed several of the larger wikis in the Spotlight lately and thought I'd toss my hat in the ring. I think Dan's familiar with us so a description is unnecessary ;) We hope to be listed on the Big Wiki page soon. Also at the time of this posting our logo and front page message is a bit of an April Fool's joke, and it will be changed back to normal at midnight US East coast time. --LordTBT Talk! 02:09, 2 April 2008 (UTC)
- Hi LordTBT. Redwall is a great idea for a spotlight and a nice wiki. You have about 40 uncategorized pages (mostly videos, for which there is no category as far as I can tell). Could you please categorize them somewhere? If you will do that, you are already great with welcomes and the wiki is in good shape, so we will be happy to spotlight it. -- Wendy (talk) 13:42, 3 April 2008 (UTC)
Law & Order Wiki Edit
I'd like to request a spotlight for the Law & Order wiki. After a long period of inactiveness, the wiki has recently increased to a number of almost a thousand pages. Right now there are only three of us working on the wiki...
I already posted some links to the wiki on Wikipedia, Youtube, etc... I'm sure that will help as well.
Anyway, I really think that the Law & Order wiki could benefit from some exposure. Thanks!!
- --ThePegasus 19:37, 1 April 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Pegasus. I think Law & Order wiki would make an excellent spotlight - thanks for suggesting it! It meets all of the requirements on the spotlight page. We will add it to the queue. -- Wendy (talk) 13:35, 3 April 2008 (UTC)
Worldwide Trams Wikia Edit
Could Worldwide Trams Wikia please be spotlighted in the next round?
We need more users to expand our images, content etc, as so far it has all been generated by me, with small amount by Eelco and BillK.
- Hi Bluegoblin7. Worldwide Trams Wiki is really nice and very close to meeting the requirements for a spotlight. You have a good welcome template, and you're using it, you have a nice front page and a logo, and over 100 pages of content. So that's all really great, and I think it will be a good spotlight!
- The one area I think needs a bit of cleanup is the categories. You have a fair number of uncategorized pages (especially the dates), and a lot of uncategorized categories. Could you work on this?
- The other thing I noticed, and this isn't a requirement, is that you don't have a customized favicon. That's the little image (the default is a yellow "w") in the address bar of your browser. Would you like to create one?
- Let me know if I can help you with the categories or the favicon, or if you have other questions! Once you get the categories cleaned up we'll be happy to put Worldwide Trams in the queue for a spotlight. -- Wendy (talk) 17:54, 1 April 2008 (UTC)
- Hi! I saw your request for a spotlight. You have an done an incredible job here in just a few months! We would be more than happy to spotlight your wiki.
- Please remember to keep welcoming your new contributors when they show up - it looks like you've been doing ok with that so far :).
- It may take a couple of weeks for us to get the spotlight up so please be patient, but I have put you on the list :). Meanwhile, if you can think of other places to advertise your wiki, that's a good way to get contributors also! -- Wendy (talk) 18:01, 28 March 2008 (UTC)
I'd like to request that the Warriors Wiki gets spotlighted. Currently, I'm the only active Bureaucrat, and just about the only active user. We have 159 articles considered non-stubs, but unfortunatly, 224 stub pages. The Warriors Wiki really could use this :) Thanks, Eulalia459678(Salamandastron) 15:44, 21 March 2008 (UTC)
- I think the Warriors Wiki looks like it is in excellent shape and meets all of our criteria to have a spotlight. You are doing an excellent job welcoming new contributors and keeping things organized, and you have a good front page I will put you into the list. Please be patient as it may take a couple of weeks before the spotlight appears. -- Wendy (talk) 20:42, 28 March 2008 (UTC)
I should like to submit The Soulcalibur Wiki for the Wikia spotlight. Soulcalibur is a well-known game series in the US, Europe and Japan. The series is going from strength to strength, a new game has just been released on the Wii, and one is about to be released on the PS3 and Xbox360, I feel that there is a definite potential for growth in this wiki - all that is needed is some extra publicity. It has 100 articles (at the time of writing), and an infrastructure is to be decided to ensure that the wiki can grow properly. Hopefully, with some publicity, it could assume the critical mass status and become self sustaining.
Many thanks for listening,
Siegfriedschtauffen 17:26, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
- That's a really good suggestion, thanks! Soulcalibur is a great wiki, and you guys have done a lot of work on it. Congratulations on reaching 100 articles!
- There are a few items on the list of Best Practices that Soulcalibur doesn't have yet:
- About 45 pages aren't in categories yet. Check out Special:Uncategorizedpages for the list of pages that need categories.
- The wiki doesn't have a welcome template yet, and there are some new users on Recent changes who haven't been welcomed.
- The Main Page should be moved to "Soulcalibur Wiki". That will give you much higher search results on Google, which will help to bring new people to the wiki.
- I'd be happy to help you with any of these things -- let me know how I can help. Thanks! -- Danny (talk) 14:27, 6 March 2008 (UTC)
I would like to request that the ReBoot Wiki be listed as a Wikia Spotlight. If this wiki was a Wikia Spotlight we might be able to get more members if we had some advertisement. ReBoot is an acclaimed show that has received several awards and was the very first show or movie to be produced completely in Computer Generated Imagery. --Preator 00:13, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
- Hi, thanks for suggesting The Reboot Wiki! Looking at the list of Best Practices for Spotlighting a wiki, it looks like Reboot is well on its way to good standing. I've taken a look at the wiki's recent activity, and it's great that there's a system for welcoming new contributors; that's a really important part of maintaining a successful community. Out of almost 300 pages, there are only 28 uncategorized, so its helpful to know that the content is organized and can be easily browsed. I also like that the front page looks inviting with some pictures. One thing you should do is move the "Main_Page" to Reboot Wiki to help with search results. The wiki's title page turns out to be an essential part if how the site is indexed in Google and other engines. This is an excellent candidate for a spotlight, I think we can make this work. Please leave a message on my talk page if you have any questions. —Scott (talk) 19:21, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
- Hi, Nathan! Yeah, you've got a very good wiki going there -- more than 100 pages, with a logo, a clear main page, a good category structure, and welcomes for everybody. This is a great model for other wikis to check out. You'll get a spotlight when the next round of spotlights goes up. -- Danny (talk) 22:55, 19 February 2008 (UTC)