- 1 About how stupid this is
- 2 You change in Halloween
- 3 this futur is terrible
- 4 “For the love of the fans”
- 5 The Culmination of Poor Decision Making
- 6 Is this just me,,..
- 7 Hey guys!
- 8 "For the love of fans"
- 9 Fandom is ruining its design.
- 10 So is it me...
- 11 Did anyone ask for this?
- 12 A Welcome Change
- 13 This hurts my eyes
- 14 Not the best choice of colours
- 15 WTF
- 16 You wanna know whats even more disgusting than this redesign?
- 17 Neutral to this change
- 18 Feedback on the new FandomDesktop Update
- 19 Welcome to FANDOM - where we hate convenience and love profit!
- 20 Quick thing pointing out a contradiction, and listing some of the most obvious ways this redesign failed.
- 21 Genuinely though, which idiot though it was a good idea
- 22 Is it similar to Miraheze for logo?
- 23 Ugh
- 24 Read before continuing
- 25 The "Future" of Fandom
- 26 i can't think of a title
- 27 question
- 28 Please Change The Logo!
- 29 an error in the article
- 30 shutting down wikis
- 31 My Thoughts on the Redesign
- 32 Criticism of the new design
- 33 This New Design is Hot Trash
About how stupid this is
Sure, this will unite fans. Unite fans to want to change the logo back, as it's so ugly.
You change in Halloween
Change all blue
this futur is terrible
We try to make nice wiki, and we will have this thing purple with yellow text on the side ?
You think that this is fine ?
edit (5 August 2021) : the not-log-in is even worse, with the side barre that doesn't change of color in dark mod. (and the advertisements...) https://i.imgur.com/DIlV62x.png
--GKPlight (talk) 14:51, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
“For the love of the fans”
We hate Fandomdesktop, is it not clear enough? People have quit because of your useless updates. If you cared for the fans you would listen to what they have to say, which is DONT REMOVE OASIS.I’m devastated, Oasis was a simple design that was quite good. There was no need for change yet you did it. Hope you change it. Btw the yellow bar sucks.
The Culmination of Poor Decision Making
"Most fans who come to the wikis land on a page that they found on a search engine results page, find the information they were looking for, and then leave without ever knowing they were on Fandom and all the great content that your wiki has to offer."
That's what a wiki is for.
If you care more about your branding than the functionality of your wikis, why have wikis at all? Sell them off to someone who actually wants to host a website for wikis instead of constantly sacrificing more and more functionality for the sake of trying to get people to read your articles.
Is this just me,,..
...or does the new logo remind me of the Miraheze logo? (Probably because they're both geometrical two-colour representations of something from nature: respectively, a fire and a sunflower.) KMFStudios (talk) 15:15, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- That actually looks pretty good; it's a simple recolor but it definitely gives a more different vibe and a more welcoming one (I personally like it way more). I would recommend sending an email to zendesk to give feedback about the color scheme and showing them the image since it can be a pretty good starting point from there and onwards. DiegoFire Network 23:19, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
Pretty good! ТОТ-КОГО-НЕЛЬЗЯ-НАРИСОВАТЬ (talk)
"For the love of fans"
If there is love, why don't listen to fans? They don't want Fandomdesktop to be the only theme on this website. P.S. The logo is not that bad, but using mustard yellow as a header isn't a good idea. Itogi (talk) 16:35, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
Fandom is ruining its design.
So first we has this AWFUL new design: At least it wasn't forced as soon as it came out, but now THIS which is forced right as it came out: This does not blend well with dark mode wikis. If you need evidence: I'm okay with you rebranding, but please don't force changes without the users' approval. Alesjif (talk) 17:00, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- This is just one more reason for communities to use custom header images and colors, which ironically weakens overall Fandom branding. They're shooting themselves in the foot with this one. -- F-Lambda (talk) 22:51, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
Preach! I use Opera GX with Darkmode, it just makes the yellow even more obvious, it's annoying. Robloxianredditor (talk) 17:23, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah, it's only vaguely distracting for logged-in FandomDesktop users (I don't have a problem too awful much with FandomDesktop overall), but for people still on Oasis (and logged-out FD users!) the garishness of the global nav distracts from the actual content. I kid you not, I screamed for a minute and a half straight "WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE THAT, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU", which is out of character for me even for the things staff has done in the past that I've strongly disliked or found accessibility issue with (see: I REALLY had trouble with the removal of Monobook but even for that I did not literally scream out loud about it. - Citrusellaeditswikis (talk) 18:21, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
So is it me...
Or will I be the only one staying in Fandom and getting used to Fandom Desktop while everyone else leaves Fandom just because they hate the new design? SafariKid2 (talk) 18:03, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- You're not the only one. FandomDesktop is actually an improvement for me, as it allows quicker access to wiki tools for the more experienced users. KMFStudios (talk) 18:12, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
Did anyone ask for this?
I've been on Fandom for nearly 10 years now, with my original account dating back to 2011 or so. I've seen the site transition from Monaco to Oasis, ditching Monobook and forums, and developing Oasis 2.0 and I can safely say this is the worst revision of the skin for this site. All these dumb and restrictive changes have actively moved so many communities over to Miraheze or their own independent servers instead, and will cause more to do so in the future. So I sincerely ask, as a long-time editor, please don't force these changes that clearly no one is happy with.--Amelia: The Dork of Steel (T/C) 18:26, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- This is too drastic a change, I don't think I'll ever get used to it.
- My complaint is only with the color of the global navigation and the logo. Mustard yellow is just too bright for the eyes, and the logo quite looks like Tinder's. --03:05, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
A Welcome Change
Wow, sorry to see all of the negativity and hate towards the new logo and branding. Sadly, fandoms are a two-edged sword, and when you bring all of them together, you often end up with a cesspool of toxicity.
Now, for my take on the updates. I love the FandomDesktop skin. It's 500x better than Oasis, which was very dated at this point. The new Fandom logo will take some getting used to, but I like that it contains a homage to the old one. The new colors of the global nav bar are nice, and it's good to see there are both light and dark versions.
To those whining about supposedly getting less customization and flexibility on the new skin, I challenge you to actually identify 4 or 5 things that you can't customize on FD that you could on Oasis. IMO, Oasis was much more restrictive, especially after the restriction that was put in place over the wiki navigation and header a couple years back.
Anyway, rant over. I'm excited to see what's next for the Fandom community :)
- Your not supposed to like FandomDesktop. And one more thing, "for the love of fans" should mean that you must remove FandomDesktop. Like almost everyone on "Introducing FandomDesktop, the new user interface" or something that I can't remember does NOT praise FandomDesktop. Mornelouwdaddy (talk) 07:21, 7 August 2021 (UTC)
This hurts my eyes
Seriously. This is painful to look at. There's a reason people make fun of light-mode users.
- Light mode isn't bad... when it's daytime. --03:05, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
- I'm outside all day and play games at evening and night. Therefore i will use wiki at evening and night too. -_-
Not the best choice of colours
Sorry, but the colour of that bar is just offensively bad. I get your reasoning for doing it, to make people notice it, but right now it's a case of dragging peoples eyes away from the content they're here to see to shill them stuff they probably don't care about. I run a wiki with a primarily light blue theme and it clashes awfully with that, in either format (Oasis or FandomDesktop). I imagine the same can be said about just about any wiki here that isn't mustard yellow.
I know you can alter it in your preferences, but that isn't going to help the, on my wiki at least, 70-80% of viewers who are new and likely don't have an account. Trust me, they're probably not gonna make one just to make that go away, they're just going to leave. Ubiquitor (talk) 21:24, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- I agree. This new color scheme is supposedly "versatile," but I think the previous colors were a lot more adaptable on wikis with custom themes. These new ones do not work well on any wiki that doesn't use these specific (or at least similar) colors. I'm all for redesigning and rebranding, and I personally like FandomDesktop, but it feels like they took a step back rather than a step forward with this. Ophissa ✉ 02:21, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
WHY REMOVE OASIS GIVE IT BACK PLS
You wanna know whats even more disgusting than this redesign?
The fact that some users are deleting other's comments that are criticizing the redesign. This is absolutely and utterly shameful, no wonder everyone refers to toxic communities as Fandoms rather than fanbases. CaptainGame17 (talk) 22:08, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- The only comments that were removed from here were ones that crossed the line from criticism into insult and violated the Community Central Guidelines. Like your comments. The rest that have been posted here are fine as long as they don't cross the line. - Brandon Rhea(talk) 00:17, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
Neutral to this change
Not trying to harass or bully anyone on this talk page, but why all the hate? I'm actually pretty neutral to this redesign, because I've now noticed everything on FANDOM (even the logo) had changed.
Feedback on the new FandomDesktop Update
Your new "heart on fire" logo looks like it belongs to a dating app. It's the imagery of passion, just passion, not a project built on the foundation of passion. The blue bricks made more sense to me, I prefer that logo.
Also I never wanted a toolbar on the left AND the top of the screen. I don't even use the Games, Movies, TV, and Video buttons, why couldn't you just put all that under the Explore drop down menu on the top? I'm fine with having a toolbar, but you can clearly fit all of it on the top, even just the icons, I don't need another toolbar cluttering the screen. In fact, that should probably be a customization option, someone might like having it all on the left and nothing on top.
A lot of folks are unhappy about the colors, and I can see why. Think maybe the best way to go is more color schemes, like Slack chat, or full custom colors.
In general you can save yourself a lot of headache and vitriol by adding customization features. People don't like getting jerked around with mandatory layout changes, no matter how good your intentions. Tesseradical17 (talk) 16:31, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
- The Explore menu is specifically for that wiki. The side buttons are for... finding other random wikis? Not gonna lie, I doubt literally anyone uses them. -- F-Lambda (talk) 22:57, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
Welcome to FANDOM - where we hate convenience and love profit!
You’re doing this (closing wikis/rebranding/changing formats) because people are leaving your site to go to better places like Miraheze, therefore you’re losing ad revenue - but you use the worse solution possible which drives more people away. 😆 How stupid can such a small group of people be???!!! WellFiredToast (talk) 21:16, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
Quick thing pointing out a contradiction, and listing some of the most obvious ways this redesign failed.
At Fandom, everything we do, we do for the love of fans.
You might think so. You might have the best of intentions, and truly believe people will like these changes. In doing this, you have killed so much of the love your fans had. You said it yourselves, most people who visit Fandom wikis come from search engines and don't associate anything with the brand. These are per definition not fans. These changes do not affect them in any major way. New logo? They'd hardly notice. New search system? They don't care, they just want to search.
Meanwhile, your long-term fans who've noticed the Fandom brand and the wealth of information it can provide probably hates it. Speaking for myself, I despise everything about it. The new logo is much harder to recognize. There's a heart, in flames. How am I supposed to tell it's the Fandom logo from something like GMail? That's a similar logo in terms of color. The old design was a simple, easy to recognize heart in a color that's very rarely used. It was perfect.
And that's just the logo. No no no, my biggest complaint is the new layout. Two things stand out: The new search system and the bar to the left of the screen. Both of these changes suck. There's just no other way to put it. I never go to another wiki through the navigation bar to the left. It shows games, movies, TV, video and other wikis. None of those interest me, because if I am at a wiki, I'm looking for a specific piece of information. It is not intuitive, and it takes up space on the screen that could be used for other things.
And the search system. Oh, the search system. Half the time you click the search icon, you're not taken to the regular search box. You're taken to a seperate page, for what you call "Special searching." If I search for the title of an article, then I have to search for the title, then click the article. That's a whole browser page in between my search and the article. That is, simply put, ridiculous. There are so many other ways to make it so much easier to pick between normal searching and special searching.
For example, move all the wiki-specific settings to the bar to the left and include a normal search button and a special search button. It gets rid of irrelevant content and allows you to search for something based on category, like if you're looking for an antagonist in a series you can go from popular characters to popular villains to the character you're looking for.
Finally, the redesign is completely unnecessary. In fact, it did the opposite of what should have been done. This seems to encourage browsing through several wikis sequentially, which would be great if you were scatterbrained. A large amount of people are not, though. The list of the 5 most popular pages have been removed, removing a good way for new people to quickly brush up on a series' most important things. All the professionalism that distinguished Gamepedias from Fandom wikis has been removed. Fandom is now a place for advertising completely irrelevant things. I am very disappointed in what the Fandom and Gamepedia brand has become.
Genuinely though, which idiot though it was a good idea
I genuinely want to know, this is utterly stupid. Why are FANDOM staff so braindead. WellFiredToast (talk) 07:13, 5 August 2021 (UTC)
Is it similar to Miraheze for logo?
True. 126.96.36.199 08:00, 5 August 2021 (UTC)
This whole brand relaunch reeks of desperation to look cool and hip. Fandom, you need to get over yourselves...as much as you'd like to think so, you're not some big fancy-pants brand that everyone worships like a celebrity; you're a platform made for hosting wikis. I find it funny that you think that the fact that people just go on wikis to find the information they're looking for without checking out any of the other Fandom stuff is such a big problem, when in reality this "problem" is actually the reason why so many people (myself included) are so perturbed by all your attempts to shove all that extra stuff down our throats. The wikis are all we care about. They're all we ever cared about. That's the reason why hardly anyone bothers with all your stuff. The fact that you noticed this and decided that the best course of action was not to give us what we wanted, but instead force more of what we didn't want on us is frustrating as all heck.
Also, I know this has been said so many times already, but I'm throwing in my two cents about the new choice of colors...it's horrible. The bright yellow clashes way too much with everything else, and it looks very, very jarring.
Read before continuing
Leave constructive criticism.
Bashing every single little thing without explaining why it is terrible is not constructive, it doesn't say how it should be fixed, and just says it sucked. No changes are going to happen by saying it sucks and not explaining why.
- how to fixe it : the easy (and probably the best) solution is revert the change.
- this choice of color is bad (too mush contrast, too visible, attracts too much attention, doesn't fits to lot of wiki, ...), and before, it was fine.
- --GKPlight (talk) 08:44, 6 August 2021 (UTC)
The "Future" of Fandom
i can't think of a title
This is illegal. I can't stand the piss-coloured sidebar. Mornelouwdaddy (talk) 12:54, 6 August 2021 (UTC) Bonus! - "Bright and energetic" should horribly be wrong to due the fact it actually makes our retinas focus on the sidebar. Edit! - Scanned the page and saw no one like the "future" of Fandom. If you think this is a good change Fandom, you are clueless. Mornelouwdaddy (talk) 05:07, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
Fandom moderators I have a question for you: Why do you have brain damage Mornelouwdaddy (talk) 08:45, 8 August 2021 (UTC)
Please Change The Logo!
This Logo Will Cause Trouble to Young Users Because Makes This Site Look Like A Dating Site Pyrikyua Lover (talk) 23:00, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
an error in the article
This article should be blank since there is no future Jamesmcavoyfanclub (talk) 15:20, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
also this is the most delusional and out of touch manifesto ever. it contains words but its incoherent "for the love of fans" Jamesmcavoyfanclub (talk) 15:25, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
shutting down wikis
Does this mean fandom plans to shut down all non-"fandom" wikis. I guess ample warning was given when you changed the name from Wikia Jamesmcavoyfanclub (talk) 11:47, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- No, we won't be closing down all non-"fandom" wikis. The wikis in question had content that we feel is no longer appropriate for Fandom, but not because it isn't "fandom" related. - Brandon Rhea(talk) 14:31, 16 August 2021 (UTC)
My Thoughts on the Redesign
First, I would like to emphasize that These are my genuine thoughts, I know most comments on the talk page are spam and low quality, but I will try to be as clear and helpful as possible.
Although I love (haha) the new relaunching and shift towards primarily supporting communities and wikis, I think the home page and new branding need some improvement.
I think the new heart logo is fine, however the color scheme seems like something you would find on a dating app like Tinder. The front page and the color scheme on it is very similar to websites such as Kotaku and/or Polygon, making Fandom seem like a journalism website, not a website focused on helping communities and wikis like the relaunch tries to emphasize.
Thanks for taking my criticism, most if not all of my experience with Fandom staff has been amazing and helpful. I am excited to see what the future holds on this website!
TinKnight / Kael (talk) 03:12, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Fair point on how the website still looks like an editorial website. We didn't have the time within this project to be able to fully revamp the website. So it was a visual redesign that still sits on top of the same basic functionality, which was created for editorial content several years ago. But some time either later this year or early next year, we're planning to fully relaunch the site with more functionality which should be a better reflection of everything Fandom has to offer. Fortunately, the current design incorporates more wiki content than in any time over the last five years, so it's a step in the right direction at any rate. - Brandon Rhea(talk) 14:30, 16 August 2021 (UTC)
Criticism of the new design
The design looks all wrong. It doesn't have all the navigation features, there's no tabs to leading to the recent changes list or social activity. And the main bar looks so ridiculously sideways-backwards. Please, at least consider moving the navigating back to the top, and not to the left side, it throws everything off. --1RichardHunt 06:52, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
This New Design is Hot Trash
Why does Fandom insist on pushing out worse and worse designs for their interfaces? This new FandomDesktop design is such a horrible mess...with the task bar split up into two different bars and one of them running down the side of the screen, it makes the whole screen look disorganized and cluttered. Whoever was responsible for this new design clearly did not have "tHe LoVe Of ThE fAnS" in mind when they were making it. At this point, I doubt that most of Fandom's fans even have any love left for them anymore with all these bizarre decisions. Mr Morshu (talk) 21:25, 18 August 2021 (UTC)