FANDOM

A FANDOM user
  Loading editor
  • Hi! Why did you reverted my edit on your wiki and then blocked me for “removing the content of the pages”? İ just fixed the ortography and corrected the name, as you can see here. No content was removed. Can you explain me this, please?

Loading editor
    • View all 19 replies
    • @Dapturner1992 One more thing: can you remove my block on your wiki (unblock me), please? İťs useless to keep that block after İ ensure you that İ won’t edit there again. Thanks in advance!

Loading editor
    • Josep Maria Roca Peña wrote:

So İ ask Sannse, for the next time (surely İ won’t edit in Dapturner1992’s wiki again): should İ ask to the founder or to an admin of a wiki on their message wall if İ can edit on their wiki before editing myself?

No, that is totally unnecessary. Wikis belong to their editing community and (as I've said) should be open for anyone to edit. No permission is needed to improve a wiki.

There are exceptions - as with most rules. Main pages are usually protected from editing except by admins, and it's considered impolite (to say the least) to edit someone else's profile page without permission. Some wikis such as fiction writing sites have rules that you don't edit someone else's work - but you are free to add your own writing to a new page.

But generally, wikis run on the principle that most people are good, and most people will help rather than damage the wiki. And where there is bad faith editing, it's easily removed.

Wikis like Wookieepedia have built up vast resources with open and free editing. One of my favorite wikis, the Hong Kong Bus Wiki, has nearly 14,000 pages just about buses in Hong Kong. No one could do that without community help!

I've looked at the edits of people banned on Mysterious Song Contest Wikia. I don't know the topic of course, but I sincerely doubt that all of those edits were malicious.

I've been on wikis for 16 years, and am passionate about the medium and philosophy of wikis (hence the long comment here). Wikis and community editing are a wonderful thing. Embrace them 🙂

(I really should make this into a blog post)

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Hi Dapturner.

The width of the content page can't be manually changed, and forcing a change with CSS or JavaScript is a violation of Wikia's Terms of Use.

The width of the page automatically adjusts between four different sizes depending on the width of the screen/window that's being used to view the page. See this blog post for a list of the breakpoints and the page width associated with each one.

If you have a table that is very wide with lots columns, a solution that I've seen work well is to divide the very wide table into two narrower tables. In other words, display half of the wide table's columns in a separate table.

Loading editor
    • Thank you for getting back to me, 

I didn't realise it was a violation and it is a good thing I did not try those methods.

I will jsut leave the pages as they are.

Many Thanks

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Hi, welcome to Community Central! Thanks for your edit to the User:Dapturner1992/global.css page.

If you need help, feel free to leave me a message; you may also want to visit the forums or join us on Chat. You can also check the staff blog to keep up-to-date with the latest news and events around Wikia.

Happy editing!

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.