FANDOM

If you wish to ask a question about something I have posted elsewhere, please ask there instead of starting a thread here.

If you have a question, someone else might also, so the question being asked and answered in the original place benefits everyone.

I welcome questions about anything I have ever posted, regardless of how long ago it was posted, but only in the correct place.

This is the internet, time does not matter.

A FANDOM user
  Loading editor
  • Hi -- I read your summaries of Message Wall bugs, thanks for posting such detailed reports. I'm going to continue the conversation here, because it's easier to make sure we don't miss each other's messages.

My team is just working on the Message Wall and Forum -- sorry I misunderstood your comment about the tabview; I thought you were referring to a problem with the Wall. I'll pass your comments about the editor to George, who works on that team.

So here are some responses about the Wall bugs:

• Thanks for pointing out the WantedPages bug -- that one actually did slip by us. I'll put that on the list to fix as part of the Forum project.
    • Audio files -- I clicked on that link, and I could hear that audio file. ("Hello, Stillwater, this is your mayor, Marshall Winslow...") Then I reloaded and couldn't. I'll have to look into it some more.
    • I know you talked to Trevor about user-talk-sub-sub-pages; I'll have to ask him if there was any resolution to that question.
    • Talk page archives -- This isn't a bug, it's a product decision. Like I said before, it doesn't make sense to have two competing systems for doing the same thing on a wiki. It's true that ongoing conversations may get cut off and restarted in the new system, but that's a one-time pain rather than a long-term mess. Instead of leaving further messages for people on their user talk archive, you could leave a message on their Wall continuing the conversation -- then they'll get a notification, and you can pick things up from there.
    • Edit summaries -- we're going to build a Preview option for Message Wall & Forum posts pretty soon. It's possible that we'll be able to add edit summaries in that; we'll see how it works.

Let me know if you've got other questions or ideas about the Message Wall or Forum. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about the current problems!

Loading editor
    • View all 13 replies

Do you have any idea what the longest-standing bug is?

I asked when the tab-index for the new editor was fixed, but didn't get a reply.

Since the "red links in deleted messages" problem has been present for well over a year now, it's probably the longest I know about. It's at least the only outstanding editor/message wall bug that I encounter regularly.

Loading editor

Toughpigs wrote:

• Talk page archives -- This isn't a bug, it's a product decision. Like I said before, it doesn't make sense to have two competing systems for doing the same thing on a wiki. It's true that ongoing conversations may get cut off and restarted in the new system, but that's a one-time pain rather than a long-term mess.

As it turns out, adding the right "editwallarchivedpages" to the "User" group resolves this issue. It would have been nice to have been told about this.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Ive been blocked on saints row wikia again for no reason.I know we have never gotten along and for that i apologise but the person that blocked me hasnt got a page or a name.Ive included the message i got when i tryed to edit a page.

The block was made by An unknown anonymous user.

• Reason given: Intimidating behaviour/harassment: Edited user page with insults
    • Start of block: 22:15, January 7, 2012
    • Expiry of block: 22:15, January 7, 2013
    • Intended blockee:
    • Block ID: #726
    • Current IP address: 90.206.187.29

Please can you help The_Lost_and_Found

Loading editor
  • I saw your reference to using JS to add to the Navbar on Runescape...I was curious if you knew whether or not it was possible to remove existing menu entries/re-name them...

Loading editor
    • View all 8 replies
    • It is a system msg, I've forgotten which one though.

Loading editor

No problem, I should have followed up on this sooner. Thanks!

edit: I looked at Special:AllMessages and it's MediaWiki:Oasis-navigation-v2-new-photos.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • I noticed on a form that you never saw RTE do what a certain user just did. Do you live in Ireland because there is a channel called RTE in Ireland.

Loading editor
  • Please, I did not edit your comment I was ending my signature as it was linking your comment to my contributions

Loading editor
  • I saw your 'excitement' that the rte was changing characters to their symbol equivalents -> — from —

I was just wondering why this is a good thing to do. Is it good practice or does it cause issues somewhere along the line? Thanks :)

Loading editor

Some text editors don't display those characters correctly, so when copy/pasting from the edit window into an text editor and back again will lose the characters. The same can happen after exporting pages and editing them and importing them again.

It's an extreme edge case of course, but one I've run into. (I just checked and å works fine)

The RTE normally converts those HTML entities back into the extended characters anyway, so my manual replacements on some pages didn't last long.

I guess we'll see after they fix the current editor problem exactly what the intended behaviour is.

edit: Oh, and it's a habit I picked up years ago - I don't know if it's a good practice, but I routinely just encode HTML entities when storing strings to a database to avoid possible problems.

Kinda offtopic, but when I was working on a file hosting site, I discovered that PHP doesn't allow writing some extended characters in windows filenames, but can handle the strings in the database just fine - so I needed to store the files on disc with a different filename. I still haven't worked out a solution to this problem, but I haven't really thought about it in a while...

Loading editor
    • Thanks. I was just wondering as I've setup my AWB in an effort to 'fix' the rte issues we see of late, and decided (on a whim) to change pretty much every common symbol used as well as letters with various accents/umlauts in case rte decides to pull another stunt like this again. It had never occurred to me that there could be issues down the line, or why they might be useful.

Learn something new every day :)

Loading editor

What's AWB? (I asked google, but I'm pretty sure you don't mean Australia Wheat Board)

edit: oh, Auto Wiki Browser! I should probably use one of those instead of exporting, parsing with PHP and importing...

Loading editor
    • Yeah, AWB. Wikipedia has a somewhat lacking guide on it's features - lists them and generally assumes you know what each does - but it's simple enough to get the hang of for most parts. I tend to use it for template replacement/category (addition/removal/renaming) but it has all sorts of stuff built in. The general downside is that it's engineered for Wikipedia and lacks stuff we might use that they don't.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Hi,

While wikis that don't display Template:Wikia_Gaming_Footer should be removed, 'small' wikis as you put them have every right to be,long on that template if they display it. Please do not remove such wikis from the template.

Happy editing!

Loading editor

http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Template_talk:Wikia_Gaming_Footer

Removing small wikis with less than 1000 articles was discussed over a year ago, sorry, I thought it was fine to remove them.

Loading editor
    • Reading that discussion, I don;t see anything firm was ever reached. To be perfectly honest, I don't think it will harm anyone if those wikis stay on the list.

Loading editor

Oh, I remember now. At the time, the template was split into two section, 1000+ at the top, <1000 below a hr, I had been actively moving smaller wikis below the line, but then someone - without discussion - merged the two sections again.

After that, the template was split into a subpage, and I completely forgot about following it so haven't been actively policing it recently.

As it turns out, only 1 of those 3 smaller wikis display the footer - so I'll add it to them.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Hi 452, I wanted to give you a heads up about the change happening next week for the Community Central Support Forums. See the notice posted here. Wikia appreciates all of the help that you provide to users in the Forum, and we look forward to seeing your continued expert assistance after the switch. The new setup will have four Support boards instead of two, which should help users with questions better determine where to post their thread, and will allow users with answers to more easily find the questions in their area of specialization. We also appreciate the feedback and bug reports over the past couple of weeks, for this new feature. You'll be seeing some fixes next week and beyond. Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions!

Loading editor

Thanks for the heads-up.  (It's nice to see that I get an extra sentence the others didn't get.)

Good idea preventing new threads in the lead up to the change. I think that it would be a better idea to just leave existing threads as editable for longer - although if there's any loose ends I expect the threads will just be recreated. (I also expect there's a technical limitation and automatic locking of the Forum: namespace is a feature which can't be avoided.)

Loading editor
    • Correct, the archiving goes hand-in-hand with the enabling of the new Forum.  Any threads that need to be continued can just be linked from the new thread, or have their content copied into the first post of the new thread.  Staff and Central admins can place a link to a new thread at the end of an old one as well, so just reach out to one of us if you see somewhere where that might be helpful!

Loading editor

Is the admin forum also switching over?  I'd forgotten it was a separate namespace.

Loading editor
    • For now, there will be the two possible locations where users might post admin/founder questions -- the Founder & Admin forums (which will remain in the old style) and the new board here in the main forum. So there will be a little bit of redundancy, and we will see how things evolve, but there's no immediate plans to change the Admin Central part of this wiki. If you and others who help out in the admin forums can offer advice on the new board too, that would be great!

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Hey, I understand that you're trying to help people understand about the way Wikipedia does talk page indentation, and that's generally a good thing. Not everyone will adopt the new forum, and some wikis will continue to have traditional MW talk spaces. So it's a skill worth talking about.

However, it may not be universally helpful to stress current policy at Wikipedia. What you're pushing as the "correct" way is something that has not always been the correct way, and it's clearly one of two ways that has been accepted at Wikipedia. Many Wikipedians, myself included, were trained by wikipedia:help:using talk pages to simply indent each new post, as this April 2007 revision clearly shows. A lot of Wikipedians (and by extension some Wikians) remember a time prior to 2006 when there weren't actually any hard rules at all.

Truth is, there was a lot of debate in the early days of wiki editing — and certainly Wikipedia editing — about exactly how it should go. And that's reflected in wikipedia:help:using talk pages' history, too. It was briefly the method you suggest in 2006, then it was the "indent every new post" method until it went back to the "call and response" method around the turn of 2008. Eventually, the "indent every new post" side simply stopped bothering to edit the help file, and the "call and response" crowd got their way. But people still regularly use the "indent every post" method at Wikipedia.

So I think you're probably expressing a bit too much certainty when you actively insist that there's a "right" way to indent on talk pages. There are a couple of different methods, each with their strengths and weaknesses, each with some claim on the notion of being "the Wikipedia way".

Not that "the Wikipedia way" matters, since this is Wikia, and local wikis are free to accept, reject or totally ignore Wikipedia at their leisure. Or to bypass the issue by choosing to accept comments and/or walls instead of talk pages. .

Loading editor

Thanks. I'm not a wikipedian myself, so I didn't know the history.

Yeah, I was just using that page as an example, rather than saying "this is the wikipedia way!"

A better example - that I've used in my most recent response - is to point out that threaded conversations have worked that way since before wikipedia. The most obvious examples that spring to my mind are yahoo groups and livejournal comments. Not the most shining beacons of websites, but they used that method of displaying threaded discussions, and both predate wikipedia (as does my usage of them).

You're also right that I shouldn't insist on it being the "right" way - I should probably just continue to point out that it's confusing to "indent every post" as it makes it unclear who the comment is meant for.

Loading editor
    • Yah, I find the confusion over the two methods most profound here at CC — largely because CC admins seem to have a policy of erring so far on the side of "no instruction creep" that there's no instruction at all. So you've got relatively newer editors clashing with relatively older ones over indentation, and then you've got the totally brand new people who don't indent at all.

Without a local help file/policy here at CC, "right" becomes subjective. And it's ust another reason that, despite its flaws, the Wall forum is largely improves communication.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
  • Hey there,

You removed Halo Nation from the Wikia Gaming Footer as shown in this revision for the reason "removing previously removed wiki which has refused to add the footer".

You had not contacted any of the admins on the wiki about the footer, and therefore we have not "refused" to add the footer, and had you really looked at our mainpage, you would see that the template is under the "community" section. We have removed the redundant shell that surrounds the list in order to match our theme. So please do not remove us again.

Regards.

Loading editor
    • View all 6 replies
    • Your request was placed on the mainpage talk page, a page which is infrequently used. As with all wikis, it is usually the Administration who perform tasks such as this, and therefore should always be your first portal of contact. Had you contacted an admin, you would have gotten a reply - I request you do this from now one when communicating with Halo Nation. as you have seen this message, I will assume that you understand we are utilising the footer and therefore will not remove us from the list again, so no further communication is needed.

Regards.

Loading editor

452 wrote:
      Last time I checked - which was seconds ago - "following" a page follows both that page and the associated talk page, so all users following the main page would have been been notified of the talk page message - either by email or by Special:Watchlist - admins in particular should be following the main page for changes, and so a talk page message on that page should get the attention of any admins.

Additionally, there's a message at the top of Talk:Main_Page

"Note: This page is Halo Nation's community center. It's a place to ask questions and propose projects."

So the main talk page is clearly a monitored page where that message should have been seen.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
See archived talk page
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.