- Note. See also: Forum:Video embed tool - new feature!
- 1 User preferences
- 2 Many more sites will be supported?
- 3 Bug: Unnecessarily floating
- 4 I kinda like this idea...
- 5 Vandalism
- 6 Redirect
- 7 Float problem solved
- 8 Needs mention of Special:WikiaVideoAdd
- 9 My Space Videos
- 10 The supplied video does not exist (Youtube)
- 11 Centering Video
- 12 Thumbnail Link
- 13 Where is upload a video now located?
- 14 South Park Studios
- 15 Height info missing from help page
- 16 <embed> tag does not pass W3C code validation
- 17 gallery help needed
- 18 Lightbox for gallery
- 19 Were is the video image?
- 20 Video Files
- 21 MTV Web Videos
- 22 Veoh videos?
- 23 Facebook/or Google+ videos?
- 24 Newgrounds feature.
- 25 Twitch TV Is it possible to add?
- 26 Testing Vimeo #Fail with Wikia
- 27 Video shrinkage at intermediate and larger widths
- 28 Chinese video sharing site support
- 29 A vid that I do not want!!! >:(
- 30 Amazon.com video support?
- 31 Tape.tv
- 32 Unclear help page
- 33 Support for Niconico video
- 34 Video not supported even though it's from youtube
- 35 Another video that can't be added, please fix
- 36 Current Video File Won't Work
- 37 Video embed failed
- 38 Adding videos from our devices
- 39 No longer applies to new format
If you do not see the Add Video icon on the edit toolbar, try switching to a Monaco skin in "my preferences". --JWSchmidt 20:47, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
- If you're only doing this one time then you can just add the useskin=monaco URL parameter. Example edit URL: http://somewiki.wikia.com/index.php?title=Some_article&action=edit&useskin=monaco --koisuru (talk) 10:02, 27 February 2009 (UTC)
Many more sites will be supported?
Waiting for support for:
- Yup, still planned. Kirkburn (talk) 13:40, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- This has taken forever to get Viddler into Wikia. Come on, please. Rauterkus 16:41, January 27, 2010 (UTC)
- Hulu streams full-length episodes of TV shows. Highly-visited TV show wikis want Hulu.
Bug: Unnecessarily floating
The following syntax: [[File:YouTube demo]] causes the embedded video to be floating left, when the image counterpart does not float at all. This is an unexpected behavior and can cause page layout problems. I am currently using the old YOUTUBE tags to circumvent this problem. -Afker All hail AliceSoft! 03:47, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
- [[File:YouTube demo]] no longer defaults to floating left. There is no float at all when "left" and "right" and "thumb" are not there. Thanks to all who got this fixed! --Timeshifter 20:49, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
I kinda like this idea...
However, I had a little problem while editing an article in the fanfiction wiki. I tried to add a link to a video on LiveVideo.com, but it wouldn't be allowed. It happened sometime before the year began. But anyway, should LiveVideo videos be supported?
~~LDEJRuff~~ (see what I've contributed) 17:38, 30 March 2009 (EDT)
- We do not currently support LiveVideo.com with this tool, but we can look at doing so. Kirkburn (talk) 08:46, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
On the digimon wiki, we have seen a lot of instances of IP's being able to screw with the videos. There is absolutely no way to prevent this, you can only clean up after it and hope the IP doesn't switch too much for you to handle.
From what I can tell, the IP is able to do this by using the "revert to a previous version" button on the video's page.
- The IP is able to do this without even being logged in, despite all normal policies on uploads, which require logged in users with a few days experience to upload.
- You are unable to block the IP from the logs, as instead of showing the actual IP in question, the uploader is named as the unblockable "An unknown anonymous user".
- You cannot delete the article and either restore revisions or reupload it under the same name. The past revisions log will still be there.
- No level of protection will prevent this - I tested this by sysop-protecting it and then logging out, and it was still susceptible.
May I ask, wikia, why you added a system whose main differences from the normal file upload process was mainly that all security measures were removed? Even those security measures which exist on basic wiki articles?Golf lima oscar romeo india oscar uniform sierra Charlie Hotel Alpha Oscar Sierra! 08:57, 12 April 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for the report, but posting the same messages, across multiple wikis/forum/talk pages does not help the issue. Please report problems, concerns, issues or bugs to Staff using Special:Contact as soon as you see them. --Uberfuzzy 22:44, 12 April 2009 (UTC)
The help page is protected, and I am unable to move the page myself to set up this redirect.
Could an admin redirect Video Embed Tool to Help:Video Embed Tool? This would make it a lot easier to discuss it across wikia.
People could just link to Video Embed Tool instead of having to use this wikicode:
[[Help:Video Embed Tool|Video Embed Tool]]
I suggest doing this for many of the help pages. --Timeshifter 19:49, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
- Shared Help only includes pages in the Help namespace. If we linked to pages outside the help namespace, they would be broken on other wikis. Redirects on here are fine, but they will only work on here. Kirkburn (talk) 15:24, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Float problem solved
On some pages I like to stack videos on the left and images on the right. For example; see this page.
But one can only float one side or the other. Otherwise there are problems with big white-space gaps between the videos.
The problem is solved by removing "thumb" and "left" from the wikicode used by the Video Embed Tool.
- [[File:Toronto 2006 GMM|425px]]
- instead of
- [[File:Toronto 2006 GMM|thumb|425px|left]]
So now I can use the Video Embed Tool when stacking videos and images opposite each other on the right and left.
I also like the fact that now all the videos can be easily found in the video category. Google indexes the links in that category too. That is great for getting hits on Wikia pages. --Timeshifter 20:03, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Needs mention of Special:WikiaVideoAdd
- I've added it to the page. Will ask about the SpecialPages list. Kirkburn (talk) 12:35, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
My Space Videos
I've found a few videos on myspace tv that would be a great addition to some pages. Is there a way to upload these yet? Or they only available to load on a MySpace page? Please Reply on my talk page as to alert me when an answer is found.-- My Name Is Tom (Talk / Edits) 04:33, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
- After searching more about finding how to upload them this is what i found myspacevids. Seems like i'm not the only one. When trying to search for info on it as well here through the forums index search, there were problems trying to open this forum Forum:Videos Not Working? because of a bad title. Also Forum:How can I embed a MySpace video? possibly because of the question marks. -- My Name Is Tom (Talk / Edits) 04:51, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
The supplied video does not exist (Youtube)
When I am trying to embed a youtube video, which was uploaded as private and then changed to public, Wikia almost surely will show "The supplied video does not exist" message. It may take up to 6 hours to the video with changed availability to become "visible" for Wikia.
I'd like to be able to center the video itself. However, it looks like only 'right' and 'left' are supported. Is there any way to center the
<div>that the video appears in? --Pagoda 05:42, August 25, 2010 (UTC)
I want to have a video, that when you click on it, instead of playing within the page, it opens a semi-window (like when you click on an image), where you can watch it. For example: Go here, and where you see Miro, and "added a video" as a summary, you'll see exactly what I want. Is this possible?--ScarTissue 02:40, November 7, 2010 (UTC)
Where is upload a video now located?
The help page says that the "upload GUI only works when on the Monaco skin" for the video embed tool. Since Monaco is no longer available, what other method is available for a person to upload a video to a wiki? - RRabbit42 (leave a message) 00:08, November 15, 2010 (UTC)
- Found it. The "Add Video" button on the standard editor still works, even though the "How it works" section says "the upload GUI only works when on the Monaco skin". I usually type in the wikitext by hand, so I pretty much had forgotten that row of buttons was even there. I am going to update the help page to remove the Monaco references since that skin is now dead. - RRabbit42 (leave a message) 15:26, November 15, 2010 (UTC)
South Park Studios
I've followed all the steps, so there shouldn't be a problem embedding the video, but anything I try to use from South Park Studiosonly displays a "This video is unavailable" message.
18:05, February 4, 2011 (UTC)
- People can disable embedding of content really easily. Nothing we can do. --Uberfuzzy 00:27, February 25, 2011 (UTC)
Height info missing from help page
How does one adjust the video height? There is no info about height on the help page. There is info about the width. --Timeshifter 17:25, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
<embed> tag does not pass W3C code validation
Please see this article:
It says the <embed> tag "was developed by Netscape and is not xhtml compliant."
Below is the HTML for the 2 videos (see higher up) found via "page source" in the view menu of my Firefox browser:
<div class="tvetnone" style="width:300px"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D44pyeEvhcQ&enablejsapi=1&fs=1" width="300" height="180" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed></div>
Wiki-code for above 300-pixel-wide video HTML: [[File:Cab Calloway - Reefer Man|300px]]
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/D44pyeEvhcQ&enablejsapi=1&playerapiid=D44pyeEvhcQ" width="300" height="355" id="YT_D44pyeEvhcQ"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D44pyeEvhcQ&enablejsapi=1&playerapiid=D44pyeEvhcQ"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/></object>
Wiki-code for above 300-pixel-wide video HTML: <youtube width="300">D44pyeEvhcQ</youtube>
Note that the new video embed tool uses the <embed> tag. The older embedding extension uses <object>. I don't understand this stuff much at all, but I thought I should pass on this W3C info I found while trying to figure out height stuff. --Timeshifter 18:00, March 7, 2011 (UTC)
gallery help needed
I've been trying to create a gallery from a video we already have on the site, but the "search" function doesn't seem to be able to find that video - how do I add a video that's already on the site? --◄mendel► 12:25, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
Lightbox for gallery
Were is the video image?
When I insert a video from milkandcookies.com,the video image and the video itself are not coming! Is this because milkandcookies.com is not one of the trusted sites, or is it some other reason? I don't think it is some other reason because I did everything correctly. If it is because milkandcookies.com is not a trusted site, can you make it one? Ashwin S. 17:10, May 25, 2011 (UTC).
Yeah, I want to upload videos from my computer, too! Can't you make a Video Player for Fandom to use? LooneyTunerIan (talk) 21:32, January 13, 2018 (UTC)
MTV Web Videos
I'm trying to add a video each week to the homepage my site, http://beavisandbutthead.wikia.com/, as MTV likes to release the episodes the day after they are on TV, and they allow embedding. Would there be any chance of helping me embed their videos on there? I try using the embedding link they give to me, although I'm not exactly sure how to work it on the site. Thanks. -Startug- Engines come and go, but Granpuff goes on forever! 04:39, November 18, 2011 (UTC)
It won't let me post a blip.tv video
I have a quick question: are Veoh videos still applicable to the video button? Because I'm trying to add a video to a page where I want to have a link to the episode that the page is about, but it always says that the video has an invalid code. I tried it with different videos and it still didn't work.
Facebook/or Google+ videos?
I think since many of us have started facebook pages for the respective wikis, is there any plans to be able to embed those too? Seems logical to me. Devilmanozzy (Talk Page) 05:28, March 22, 2012 (UTC)
Can you add http://newgrounds.com/ ? I'm making a parody of Wei's CS assault, DE dust, DE aztec and DE dust2 with Dick Figures Characters Canon and Fanon.
Stick775 04:31, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
Twitch TV Is it possible to add?
Would it be possible to add this popular video media to supported sites so we can add these videos to our wikias?
- Agree! I use Twitch clips as references pretty often - but if the streamer Twitch account is deleted, the associated clip is deleted too. Muchos (talk) 20:09, January 14, 2021 (UTC)
Testing Vimeo #Fail with Wikia
- So it looks like that is not the standard vimeo url format, so its likely why it won't embed properly. If you can find the same video in the standard url (so like http:/vimeo.com/video/53311249) it should work. Best, --Sarah (help forum | blog) 21:44, April 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Going to the Vimeo Help Forum now. Rauterkus (talk) 14:14, April 26, 2013 (UTC)
Video shrinkage at intermediate and larger widths
This is only true for videos embedded at widths higher than the upper width limit for the lightbox to popup.
Please see: w:c:cannabis:Portal:Video shrinkage problems. Videos shrink from their initial width after they start playing.
I suggest making the width the priority, and adjusting the height to accommodate the width. --Timeshifter 20:12, June 3, 2012 (UTC)
Chinese video sharing site support
I sent this request through Special:contact but got no update. I truly hope wikia could add any Chinese site to the support list. ANYONE, please!Reasno 杰诺斯·史林特 13:32, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
A vid that I do not want!!! >:(
Any time I try to place a vid on my profile,it has another video! Me no LIKEY!!!
Amazon.com video support?
I have some art ideas let's here them.
Frist one-Popical stick art-
What you need . You need popcail sticks, glue paper, and tape *if you don't want glue use tape*. You can also you crayons and color paper to make it colorful. First, start planning what you want make a light pencil line of it, Then glue *or tape* your desin. *hint* use only a couple dabs a glue per stick. Then let it dry, Then only then add other things like cotton balls sparkles and signs and color papers to make it more awesome. Hope you injoy.
Brightheart101Brightheart101 (talk) 00:04, November 8, 2013 (UTC)
I'm trying to embed a Youtube video, but I just can't get it to work.
I'm using the Classic Editor. I click the 'Video' button under 'Add features and media', provide a URL link and then work through all of the steps. But then I click 'Publish', and nothing has changed. What is going wrong?
Since in Germany on Youtube, music videos and live streams are blocked, it would be nice if you could embed the videos of tape.tv to also cover the music side. Live streams are already covered with twitch and ustream. There are also many MTV websites with music videos. Embedding them would be also ok. --Christian140 (talk) 21:10, June 18, 2015 (UTC)
Unclear help page
What is a "features and media module", where can I find it starting from a random page not in need of a given video from a supported site… okay, found something with ?useskin=oasis, don't click on Special:Videos, but on contribute + add a video ending up on Special:WikiaVideoAdd visible with Monobook. Next issue, what is a "media lightbox", will it bite me? The MediaViewer on WikiMedia projects does bite users and is hopeless. –Dunnoob 💩 11:28, July 19, 2016 (UTC)
- For the copyright question in the forum I adopted Forum:Video_embed_tool_-_new_feature!#Copyright_tags: Embed is not copy. ––Dunnoob 💩 00:20, September 22, 2017 (UTC)
Support for Niconico video
Video not supported even though it's from youtube
Tried everything to add this to w:c:gundam. It's from YouTube and it's not prevented by the uploader from being embedded yet I cannot add it.--FortressMaximus #WeLoveLegends (Talk) Sign 04:04, July 27, 2018 (UTC)
Another video that can't be added, please fix
from YouTube but can't add it. Tried different variations of the URL but no luck--FortressMaximus #WeLoveLegends (Talk) Sign 12:30, August 28, 2018 (UTC)
- You should be sending this to Special:Contact/bug. -- Cube-shaped garbage can 13:32, August 28, 2018 (UTC)
Current Video File Won't Work
Video embed failed
In the Classic Editor, when I tried to add a video but it says "Video embed failed, unable to get proper thumbnail". That's just don't work anymore. Xandershelton183 (talk) 22:10, August 21, 2019 (UTC)
Adding videos from our devices
Could we add videos that are from our devices? Unidentified Entity Number 10 (talk) 12:21, July 19, 2020 (UTC)
No longer applies to new format
For those wikis that have been updated to the new system, *this no longer works*. It seems like you can no longer directly embed YouTube videos. Werothegreat (talk) 20:25, August 8, 2020 (UTC)