Community Central
Community Central
Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Question about leaving messages

I've read both the wikia and wikipedia help on talk pages, and can find no explicit answer to this.
Is it at all normal for people to NOT reply to a message and instead leave the response on the person's talk page instead? In effect, fracturing the conversation across multiple pages.
This page implicitly says "Reply on the same page" when it says: "When replying to a comment, indent your reply by placing a colon (":") at the beginning of a line.".
Does Wikipedia:MULTI apply to this? -User452 17:44, March 19, 2011 (UTC)
I'm going to answer my own question with: this link to wikipedia. "You should always take a quick look at the top of a user talk page before posting there, to see if there's a note saying that the editor will respond on his own user talk page, and similarly that if the editor posted to your user talk page, you should reply there." Exactly what I wanted, thanks! -User452 17:58, March 19, 2011 (UTC)

No button for talk pages

Hi, my name is Matthew from the Miranda Wiki and I'm contacting regarding a peculiar problem.

When you look at pages such as http://mirandabbc.wikia.com/wiki/Date, you'll notice that there's no button for "talk" and just one for "comments". The pages do have talk pages such as http://mirandabbc.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Date but it just doesn't have a button for it.

If someone could give me advice or just add them in, then I'd very much appreciate it. Maybe I'm overlooking something but any help would be very useful.

Thanks and could you reply via my Miranda Talk Page as I know I'll forget to check here haha.

TheFartyDoctor Talk 15:25, April 25, 2012 (UTC)

Hi, my name is Graeme, from the MathHelp wiki and I have the same problem as Matthew, above. I would like you to add back the "Talk" pages, and make it so all new pages will have a "Talk" (or discussion) link at the top. If that requires doing away with comments, then go ahead and get rid of all comments (I don't think there are any, anyway). Thanks!—User:GraemeMcRaetalk 16:52, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Add the following to MediaWiki:Wikia.js on your wikis:
$(function(){
var tpbutton = document.createElement("a");
tpbutton.setAttribute("accesskey", "t");
tpbutton.setAttribute("href", wgServer + "/wiki/Talk:" + wgPageName);
tpbutton.setAttribute("class", "wikia-button secondary talk");
tpbutton.setAttribute("rel", "nofollow");
tpbutton.setAttribute("data-id", "comment");
tpbutton.innerHTML = "Talk";
$(tpbutton).insertAfter(".comments");
});

TK-999 (talk) 20:03, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, TK-999!—User:GraemeMcRaetalk 20:40, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Just wanted to add on here! I found TK-999's script incredibly helpful but I noticed that the button would appear twice on pages that already had a talk button like the main page and for those who have access the admin pages like Common.css and such. I've edited the code slightly so that if a talk button already exists, the script won't create a new one:
 $(function(){
  if($('a').is('.talk')){
  }
  else
  {
    var tpbutton = document.createElement("a");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("accesskey", "t");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("href", wgServer + "/wiki/Talk:" + wgPageName);
    tpbutton.setAttribute("class", "wikia-button secondary talk");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("rel", "nofollow");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("data-id", "comment");
    tpbutton.innerHTML = "Talk";
    $(tpbutton).insertAfter(".comments");
  }
});
There might be a better way to write that, but it works as is. It checks the page for an "a" tag with the class "talk". If it finds one, does nothing. If it doesn't, it creates one. Hope this is relevant and helps! Starport592  Talk  Contribs  Risk of Rain  05:05,10/12/2015 

Talk Header

Hi, when I go to a talk page that has no posts, I normally get the message that I get for every empty page on the wiki. Is it possible to replace that message with the {{Talkheader}}, in every kind of talk page using a script or mediawiki page or whatever?  Staw-Hat Luffy  Talk  09:33, September 16, 2013 (UTC)

Place that template in MediaWiki:Noarticletext of your wiki. ~ UltimateSupreme 06:28, September 20, 2013 (UTC)

Page needs updating

This page needs updating. I.e. For new Wikia's, comments are on by default and talk pages are off.