Community Central
Community Central
Tag: Source edit
m (Reverted edits by 47.199.246.58 (talk) to last revision by MRMOONYT)
Tag: Rollback
Line 126: Line 126:

pls work

pls work

== telehack will never die ==

telehack discord for the everlasting community since 1987.

Join if you dare.

https://discord.gg/TuR8yu3X6f

Revision as of 22:05, 24 September 2021

Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Question about leaving messages

I've read both the wikia and wikipedia help on talk pages, and can find no explicit answer to this.
Is it at all normal for people to NOT reply to a message and instead leave the response on the person's talk page instead? In effect, fracturing the conversation across multiple pages.
This page implicitly says "Reply on the same page" when it says: "When replying to a comment, indent your reply by placing a colon (":") at the beginning of a line.".
Does Wikipedia:MULTI apply to this? -User452 17:44, March 19, 2011 (UTC)
I'm going to answer my own question with: this link to wikipedia. "You should always take a quick look at the top of a user talk page before posting there, to see if there's a note saying that the editor will respond on his own user talk page, and similarly that if the editor posted to your user talk page, you should reply there." Exactly what I wanted, thanks! -User452 17:58, March 19, 2011 (UTC)

No button for talk pages

Hi, my name is Matthew from the Miranda Wiki and I'm contacting regarding a peculiar problem.

When you look at pages such as http://mirandabbc.wikia.com/wiki/Date, you'll notice that there's no button for "talk" and just one for "comments". The pages do have talk pages such as http://mirandabbc.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Date but it just doesn't have a button for it.

If someone could give me advice or just add them in, then I'd very much appreciate it. Maybe I'm overlooking something but any help would be very useful.

Thanks and could you reply via my Miranda Talk Page as I know I'll forget to check here haha.

TheFartyDoctor Talk 15:25, April 25, 2012 (UTC)

Hi, my name is Graeme, from the MathHelp wiki and I have the same problem as Matthew, above. I would like you to add back the "Talk" pages, and make it so all new pages will have a "Talk" (or discussion) link at the top. If that requires doing away with comments, then go ahead and get rid of all comments (I don't think there are any, anyway). Thanks!—User:GraemeMcRaetalk 16:52, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Add the following to MediaWiki:Wikia.js on your wikis:
$(function(){
var tpbutton = document.createElement("a");
tpbutton.setAttribute("accesskey", "t");
tpbutton.setAttribute("href", wgServer + "/wiki/Talk:" + wgPageName);
tpbutton.setAttribute("class", "wikia-button secondary talk");
tpbutton.setAttribute("rel", "nofollow");
tpbutton.setAttribute("data-id", "comment");
tpbutton.innerHTML = "Talk";
$(tpbutton).insertAfter(".comments");
});

TK-999 (talk) 20:03, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, TK-999!—User:GraemeMcRaetalk 20:40, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Just wanted to add on here! I found TK-999's script incredibly helpful but I noticed that the button would appear twice on pages that already had a talk button like the main page and for those who have access the admin pages like Common.css and such. I've edited the code slightly so that if a talk button already exists, the script won't create a new one:
 $(function(){
  if($('a').is('.talk')){
  }
  else
  {
    var tpbutton = document.createElement("a");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("accesskey", "t");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("href", wgServer + "/wiki/Talk:" + wgPageName);
    tpbutton.setAttribute("class", "wikia-button secondary talk");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("rel", "nofollow");
    tpbutton.setAttribute("data-id", "comment");
    tpbutton.innerHTML = "Talk";
    $(tpbutton).insertAfter(".comments");
  }
});
There might be a better way to write that, but it works as is. It checks the page for an "a" tag with the class "talk". If it finds one, does nothing. If it doesn't, it creates one. Hope this is relevant and helps! Starport592  Talk  Contribs  Risk of Rain  05:05,10/12/2015 

Talk Header

Hi, when I go to a talk page that has no posts, I normally get the message that I get for every empty page on the wiki. Is it possible to replace that message with the {{Talkheader}}, in every kind of talk page using a script or mediawiki page or whatever?  Staw-Hat Luffy  Talk  09:33, September 16, 2013 (UTC)

Place that template in MediaWiki:Noarticletext of your wiki. ~ UltimateSupreme 06:28, September 20, 2013 (UTC)

Page needs updating

This page needs updating. I.e. For new Wikia's, comments are on by default and talk pages are off. —This unsigned comment is by Bruce A (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

you can visit comments help page @ Help:Comments, there are still some wiki's that use talk pages Ex: VSTF wiki & Wikia Travel . Minato826 . (Talk to ANOOP)(Contributions) 16:18, June 11, 2017 (UTC)

Function of Talk Pages on Articles

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm a relatively new user, I only created my account about two months back so I'm still getting accustomed to how things work in the FANDOM Community and what is what on a wikia. My question is what are talk pages for articles supposed to be used for, specifically for articles on characters because I'm thinking of creating a talk page for a character article on the wikia I frequent the most but what I have in mind as a topic would probably just lead to general brainstorming and speculation between users. This character is being written out of the series so it seems to be a topic on people's minds. Now I don't know if that would be an appropriate use of a talk page and I don't want to get in trouble with the admins for doing something that I shouldn't. Would this be acceptable use of an article talk page? If not, then what should these kind of talk pages be used for just so I know what it is appropriate in this case. If anyone has an answer for me, can you please leave a message on my page here. Thank you. Profiler10 (talk) 16:53, July 8, 2017 (UTC)Profiler10

Use of talkpages depends on the local wiki policy. Most wikis use talkpages for discussion about their articles, but there isn't a global policy about it. -- Cube-shaped garbage can 16:58, July 8, 2017 (UTC)
Ok thank you very much. Where would I be able to find the policy, so I can see for myself what the policy for this wikia is before I do anything. I've just checked the "Rules" page here but there's no mention of this subject. Also, sorry to trouble you with this. Profiler10 (talk) 18:06, July 8, 2017 (UTC)Profiler10
There might simply be no rules page for talk pages - you should speak to your local administrators using one of their talk pages/message walls if they are active there. If they aren't, be bold and go for it. noreplyz talk 00:48, July 10, 2017 (UTC)

Question

Why don't we have to sign our posts for message wall posts? That seems unnecessary to me and I don't understand why. Uptownmath (talk) 18:31, January 24, 2018 (UTC)

Do you mean signing wall posts is unnecessary or the other way around? You don't have to sign wall posts if you don't want to, it's just a matter of personal preference. -- Cube-shaped garbage can 18:38, January 24, 2018 (UTC)
Oh, what I meant was that not singing wall posts was unnecessary. Uptownmath (talk) 18:42, January 24, 2018 (UTC)

Will Anons be able to to use this feature in the future?

Destinithompson (talk) 23:17, April 6, 2020 (UTC)

Yes. They will use this feature if it is enabled on Admin Dashboard. —Baran (talkTR Central) 09:52, April 7, 2020 (UTC)

Archiving Question

My Wiki archives talk pages like “User:Anon3610/Archive 1” instead of the user talk namespace. This technically isn’t correct, but if I do it the correct way it puts the page in a category along the lines of “self-closed html tags”. It just doesn’t seem right. Anon3610 (talk) 20:44, December 23, 2020 (UTC)

Edits

How do you add a "fact box" for a new fact? I dont use the "dot" because i dont know how to generate it. Normally i wouldn't add facts without a fact already in it cause i dont know how to generate fact boxes.

hi lol just a test, these talk pages are cool

I keep on forgeting to add my signature for some reason
e lol xd

E LOL
- ACoolThing - I agree that PHMittens is the best youtuber (talk) 16:22, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

User Talk Page

Hi, I'm 10SunlightBoba01 my sister does fandom so I know a bit about it. I recently created a fandom wiki, but I don't know how to get a User Talk Page. the instructions say that it is a tab on your profile, but I don't have the "talk" tab on my profile page. help if possible. :) ❀10𝓢𝓾𝓷𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓑❁𝓫𝓪01❀ 01:39, 26 April 2021 (UTC) 16:50, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

What does the tab say instead? Does it say "Message Wall"? - ACoolThing | Talk/Message Wall | Contributions | Profile on other wikis || osu! pls friend me | Roblox | YouTube
14:56, 12 May 2021 (UTC)
If it says "Message wall (which it prob does) you need to disable them; To do this you go to the admin dashboard and disable message wall - ACoolThing | Talk/Message Wall | Contributions | Profile on other wikis || osu! pls friend me | Roblox | YouTube
14:59, 12 May 2021 (UTC)

New Administrator

Hi Micheal, I just found an administrator named plushyKittys. She claims she's not on the roblox fandom because she is a new hire, but I forgot to take a screenshot. I am not sure if that's a roblox administrator because of the icon, but lets hope she is and is welcome to the roblox fandom. Here is proof:

Cooladministrator1

Proof

and here is her username since she has a display name:

Cooladministrator2

Her username

I have also searched her profile and this is what I saw in groups:

Proofmorewfw

One of her groups, you can also see her rank.

Remove hard limit on talk pages

The fact that talk pages has a limit is a disgusting way to censor people, as it can ruin conversations that haven't finished yet. The best way to counteract this is to remove the limit, and make them more accessible, as due to some unforseen change people would rather use the unprofessional Disqus chat box, which can bury any suggestion as well. DailyEvilKiller (talk) 03:00, 31 August 2021 (UTC)

does this work

pls work