I have just merged a wiki, but am slightly confused about how to mark the wiki's main page (although marking the wiki's Central Wikia page was fine). The Central Wikia template (Template:Merged) won't work on other wikis, so I just copied most of the template's source text, removed the image and made it all BIG. (It's on [[w:c:egmontfleetwaysonic:Fleetway Sonic Wiki]] if anyone wants to see what I did.) Is this suitable? -- Supermorff 19:55, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
I have now found out how to merge Wikias, and amended the wording of this page for clarity. -- Supermorff 17:32, November 30, 2009 (UTC)
Why isn't this policy? Edit
What are the concerns about this that keep it from being policy? Or is Wikia waiting for overwhelming support from the community? I think we need a reference for how to merge, but wouldn't expect the community to be enthusiastic about the concept - just "Meh." --Jesdisciple (talk) 03:57, June 17, 2010 (UTC)
- I came up with the idea some time ago, but I am not a Wikia employee. Matthias 14:18, June 17, 2010 (UTC)
Moving pages Edit
Is there an easy way to move pages from one wiki to another? I looked around, and I thought for sure it was possible, but that may be for other wikis only (not Wikia). Can anyone help? Geniusguy445 (talk)
Merging articles Edit
Pages with the same name Edit
The preamble mentioned pages with the same name but the detailed procedure seems not to mention it. Does Special:Import alert you when a page is the same? If not, there should be a line in the detailed procedure about it.
When the Civilization Games Wiki absorbed two smaller wikis about individual games (in about August 2010, I think), there was some duplication. I forget how it was handled, but the documentation is probably still there.
- I've recently merged two wikis and Special:Import does not alert you to this problem. What I would do depends on whether you want the two pages to be just one page, or if you want them to stay separate.
- If you want them to stay the same I would just do the import as normal - the pages history will be combined and then you can decide how to edit the page so as to include the new infomation
- If you want two different pages then one of the pages is going to have be renamed before doing the export/import - you can't do it afterwards
- In the case of Baker Street wiki we renamed some pages before exporting and importing. So a page for the BBC's Sherlock character was renamed to Sherlock Holmes (Cumberbatch) before exporting it and so avoided importing the page into the page for the canon Sherlock Holmes character. I hope this helps someone! I found it quite confusing/complicated at first. bloob (talk) 15:44, March 26, 2013 (UTC)
Why has this been deleted and a redirect put in it's place?Edit
I found this page much more helpful than the help page on the subject - the instructions were clearer, especially the section on what information to include when contacting wikia staff. bloob (talk) 12:21, April 19, 2013 (UTC)
- We're doing some cleanup on this wiki and the redirect was part of that. Help is a better place for this information since that is shared out onto all wikis. I know you've been doing some merging work recently, so please feel free to edit the help page and add text from the redirected page that will be helpful to other users. Or, if you prefer not to do that, respond here with some more detail and we will make update the help page. Thanks for the note!
- BertH (help forum | blog) 16:20, April 19, 2013 (UTC)
What happens when you "merge" wikias?Edit
Though this question is a topic on this page, and some good information is given on why wikia merges aren't a true merge, it doesn't really answer the question and go into detail about what actually happens. After reading the page, I understand the the url from the smaller wiki is redirected to the larger one. But what else actually happens? Are beurocrats from the originally wiki transferred over, etc. Or are these decisions left to the community? I'm looking for details like that.
JohnnyDaPirate 03:51, March 31, 2016 (UTC)