Community Central
Community Central
(+)
Tag: sourceedit
(→‎Disabling shortcuts: nothing after all these years?)
(10 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
== Disabling shortcuts ==
  +

How do you disable these keyboard shortcuts? [[User:Irilyth|Irilyth]] ([[User talk:Irilyth|talk]]) 00:16, February 8, 2016 (UTC)

How do you disable these keyboard shortcuts? [[User:Irilyth|Irilyth]] ([[User talk:Irilyth|talk]]) 00:16, February 8, 2016 (UTC)

Line 6: Line 8:

:To disable these shortcuts, simply add <tt>*globalshortcuts_js</tt> to your adblocker. -[[user:452|452]] 17:32, March 31, 2016 (UTC)

:To disable these shortcuts, simply add <tt>*globalshortcuts_js</tt> to your adblocker. -[[user:452|452]] 17:32, March 31, 2016 (UTC)
  +
  +
:: I don't use an ad blocker, but something similar might work. I suspect NoScript could do it, but haven't figured out how yet -- if I do, I'll update here. [[User:Irilyth|Irilyth]] ([[User talk:Irilyth|talk]]) 17:41, March 31, 2016 (UTC)

:As a quick followup on this topic - we are planning on adding a preference in a future update. No ETA to provide right now, though. {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 17:35, March 31, 2016 (UTC)

:As a quick followup on this topic - we are planning on adding a preference in a future update. No ETA to provide right now, though. {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 17:35, March 31, 2016 (UTC)
  +
  +
:: I would like to support the idea of disabling the shortcuts. It's extremely annoying to push "Alt + D" (in order to get to the address bar) and to get redirected to the "delete page" instead. [[Thread:1153480|How to disable the Alt + D shortcut for delete page?]]. Thanks. [[User:Ark25|Ark25]] ([[User talk:Ark25|talk]]) 23:08, December 3, 2016 (UTC)
  +
  +
::: It looks like adding a preference dropped off the radar, but I will make sure to bring it up again with the team. {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 15:37, December 5, 2016 (UTC)
  +
:::: I just lost half an hour of work creating a page because I type quickly and when I went to save the page, I typed "create page" and pressed Enter, but since the field wasn't focused (another bug) it thought I wanted to switch to edit mode (switch to ecdit mode from saving in edit mode? probably also a bug) and then the "are you sure you want to leave" dialog popped up but i wans't expecting a dialog I was just trying to save and so I pressed enter before I had time to realize what was happening. These shortcuts are a menace. [[User:Nathanhinchey|Nathanhinchey]] ([[User talk:Nathanhinchey|talk]]) 16:38, June 26, 2020 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::I lost a full written article comment because I didn't noticed the textbox was not foccused and I typed (among other letters) the letter E, which sent me to edit the article page. I never use these shortcuts. After all these years, can't we really have an option to disable them? Does anyone know if they're provided by a specific script that I could block by their name with adblock origin on Chrome? [[User:SapadorCastelo|Sapador Castelo]] ([[User talk:SapadorCastelo|talk]]) 06:10, 31 January 2021 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::
  +
:::

== Shortcuts customization? ==

== Shortcuts customization? ==
Line 13: Line 27:

:That's an idea a few people have brought up since launch - it's something we're going to discuss, but we can't make any promises around it. {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 14:23, March 8, 2016 (UTC)

:That's an idea a few people have brought up since launch - it's something we're going to discuss, but we can't make any promises around it. {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 14:23, March 8, 2016 (UTC)
  +
  +
:Yeah, some users of my wikia asked if we could have a specific audio play when pressing 'V' [[User:Benjamin Cakir|Benjamin Cakir]] ([[User talk:Benjamin Cakir|talk]]) 20:36, January 2, 2017 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Access keys when? ==
  +
  +
It must have been two years since the most recent global-nav iteration, and the access key for the search bar (and logging in) are still nowhere to be seen. Not only that, you managed to remove also RC, activity, history, whatlinkshere, move and whatnot. This sucks majorly.--[[User:PedroM|PedroM]] 15:59, November 11, 2017 (UTC) ''PS: Please don't fix it with JS tho!''
  +
  +
== Shortcut for 'Publish' ==
  +
  +
So bad there is no shortcut for publishing edits. {{Marcy}}

Revision as of 06:10, 31 January 2021

Disabling shortcuts

How do you disable these keyboard shortcuts? Irilyth (talk) 00:16, February 8, 2016 (UTC)

It's not currently possible, but it's something we're open to looking into if it's desired. Could you send in your request to Special:Contact/feedback, letting us know why you'd like to disable them? Kirkburn  talk  contr    13:05, February 8, 2016 (UTC)
Done! Thanks. (In case anyone reading here is curious: My main use case is when I'm using find-in-page to search only for links (by just typing characters), when I get to an "e" suddenly the page flips into edit mode.) Irilyth (talk) 13:10, February 8, 2016 (UTC)
To disable these shortcuts, simply add *globalshortcuts_js to your adblocker. -452 17:32, March 31, 2016 (UTC)
I don't use an ad blocker, but something similar might work. I suspect NoScript could do it, but haven't figured out how yet -- if I do, I'll update here. Irilyth (talk) 17:41, March 31, 2016 (UTC)
As a quick followup on this topic - we are planning on adding a preference in a future update. No ETA to provide right now, though. Kirkburn  talk  contr    17:35, March 31, 2016 (UTC)
I would like to support the idea of disabling the shortcuts. It's extremely annoying to push "Alt + D" (in order to get to the address bar) and to get redirected to the "delete page" instead. How to disable the Alt + D shortcut for delete page?. Thanks. Ark25 (talk) 23:08, December 3, 2016 (UTC)
It looks like adding a preference dropped off the radar, but I will make sure to bring it up again with the team. Kirkburn  talk  contr    15:37, December 5, 2016 (UTC)
I just lost half an hour of work creating a page because I type quickly and when I went to save the page, I typed "create page" and pressed Enter, but since the field wasn't focused (another bug) it thought I wanted to switch to edit mode (switch to ecdit mode from saving in edit mode? probably also a bug) and then the "are you sure you want to leave" dialog popped up but i wans't expecting a dialog I was just trying to save and so I pressed enter before I had time to realize what was happening. These shortcuts are a menace. Nathanhinchey (talk) 16:38, June 26, 2020 (UTC)
I lost a full written article comment because I didn't noticed the textbox was not foccused and I typed (among other letters) the letter E, which sent me to edit the article page. I never use these shortcuts. After all these years, can't we really have an option to disable them? Does anyone know if they're provided by a specific script that I could block by their name with adblock origin on Chrome? Sapador Castelo (talk) 06:10, 31 January 2021 (UTC)

Shortcuts customization?

I like this feature, but could you guys make it so admins of a wiki can customize the shortcut keys? Or, better yet, make it so each user can set their own shortcut keys as they desire (that would carry over on any wiki they visit)? — CaptFredricks [ leave a messagecontributions ] 15:47, March 6, 2016 (UTC)

That's an idea a few people have brought up since launch - it's something we're going to discuss, but we can't make any promises around it. Kirkburn  talk  contr    14:23, March 8, 2016 (UTC)
Yeah, some users of my wikia asked if we could have a specific audio play when pressing 'V' Benjamin Cakir (talk) 20:36, January 2, 2017 (UTC)

Access keys when?

It must have been two years since the most recent global-nav iteration, and the access key for the search bar (and logging in) are still nowhere to be seen. Not only that, you managed to remove also RC, activity, history, whatlinkshere, move and whatnot. This sucks majorly.--PedroM 15:59, November 11, 2017 (UTC) PS: Please don't fix it with JS tho!

Shortcut for 'Publish'

So bad there is no shortcut for publishing edits. Marcy ~ Talk ~ Contribs