Community Central
Community Central
Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

THIS PAGE IS NOT FOR REPORTING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR FAVICON ON YOUR WIKI. PLEASE USE THIS LINK TO REPORT PROBLEMS TO WIKIA SUPPORT STAFF

In general, how long does it take for a new favicon to appear? Should you delete the old favicon if you upload a new one? Screennameless - "Goodnight, everybody!" 00:05, 13 March 2009 (UTC)

Assuming our image servers are working correctly (which is most of the time), the new icon data should make it to all the global data centers in less then 30 seconds. No, you do not need to delete the old one, only the latest version is displayed. Please keep in mind that your BROWSER may cache (keep a copy of) the old one for a very long time. You may need to force a reload of the page data to get a new one into your system. This is most like done by pressing ctrl + shift + r, if that doesnt work, please see the help page for instructions for your browser. --Uberfuzzy 07:19, 13 March 2009 (UTC)

Something more than uploading a 16x16 ICO file is required

• Trusting in the instructions provided in this article, I uploaded a 16x16 icon file to File:Favicon.ico
  • The image was created using IrfanView and specifying file type ICO

Several minutes have passed and I have tried flushing the browser cache per the instructions provided however the favicon does not display. See: vsk.wikia.com Are you quite sure there are no other steps required to customize the favicon for a new wiki? najevi 00:23, 15 June 2009 (UTC)

In my previous question, I had to wait for a very long time before the favicon loaded. I'm not sure of the exact time because I literally went to bed and checked it in the morning, but it did work eventually. -User:Screennameless
No, there are no other steps. Unfortunately, the cache seems to take a while to clear; you'll be waiting for your favicon to appear for a little while, anything from a few hours to a few days. Don't worry though - it'll appear eventually :) Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 11:31, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
Yes, some browsers are specifically notorious for caching favicons for long periods of time (like Firefox), which really means everyone but you will see it until your cache changes :) Just change browsers if that happens. ~Joey~ ^Talk^ 02:13, 17 June 2009 (UTC)
Admittedly this is impractical to ask of website visitors, but if you or someone want to see the new favicon right away, try what I did. Browse directly to your site's favicon file (http://example.com/favicon.ico). If you see the old favicon even when you refresh the favicon, do a shift-refresh (shift-F5). That should force the new favicon to be loaded by your browser. This worked for me in Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows XP. YMMV. 04:52, June 13, 2010 (UTC)

Custom favicon reverted to the default

I've been using a custom favicon on my wiki for months with no issue, when today it loaded with the blue "W" icon. I tried reuploading it and clearing my cache, with no change. Looking at another wiki I contribute, it has the same problem. What's up?--Yubi Shines 01:20, 25 June 2009 (UTC)

We're aware of the issue, and are working to fix it :) Kirkburn (talk) 16:05, 25 June 2009 (UTC)
Same problem above. A WikiBot seems to have changed it on July 10 at both [1] and [2]. Rauterkus 19:40, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
If you see this elsewhere, please feel free to reupload the correct favicon. The bot appears to have been a little zealous in how many it replaced. Kirkburn (talk) 17:19, 27 July 2009 (UTC)

Help

I can't save my icon as .ico. Can anybody help?--Yay!I SAID YAY! 21:24, May 31, 2010 (UTC)

Hiya! Best thing to use is a Favicon generator like this one. Mark (talk) 12:42, June 13, 2010 (UTC)
That should work perfect.

Huh? MIME type: image/x-ico???

Something's not right. Everytime I upload my Favicon file, i get this: "MIME type: image/x-ico" instead of "MIME type: image/x-icon". Something's not right... --Rasengan888 (talk|Userpage)(Editor and RPer) 14:28, June 29, 2010 (UTC)

-__- Nvm, it works now... --Rasengan888 (talk|Userpage)(Editor and RPer) 14:34, June 29, 2010 (UTC)

/* License */

What License is the the default Wikia icon under? --Roguebfl Talk 22:21, August 4, 2010 (UTC)

It's copyrighted by Wikia, and may only be used with their permission. Of course you're free to use it on any Wikia wiki. Mark (talk) 12:50, August 5, 2010 (UTC)

Help

I have uploaded a favicon for a wiki i go on but it doesn't show up and I have followed everything on the page --Toa Zion 01:41, August 7, 2010 (UTC)

Link to wiki please. Ajraddatz Talk 23:44, August 7, 2010 (UTC)

On my wiki the ico not change http://it.gearspediaitalia.wikia.com/wiki/Speciale:MyHome -- JTS - 117 16:13, September 5, 2010 (UTC)

Cant Upload "ico" not vailid image.

I was able to create a icon image using one of the generators , I have it downloaded on pc now. But I am not sure of the next step needed to upload it destination file. When I try to upload from my wiki page using upload a new image ..I get an error telling me that ico is not a valid image. So how do I upload the image icon?

Strange default behaviour

I cannot seem to bypass the default icon at all. I have uploaded the new icon several times. When I have uploaded the icon I want multiple times, the old versions present the image I want when looked at them through the direct link. The final version, however, always shows the default icon. I have cleared my cache fully. I don't understand what is happening.

This is the link to the file in my wiki: http://scarteleu.wikia.com/wiki/File:Favicon.ico

--User:Richeron 13:56, September 4, 2010 (UTC)

It's a caching issue with Wikia which is known. It's not fixed yet, so I think it'd be best to wait a day or two and see if it's fixed by then. Also, Favicons update very slowly, so be sure to give it some time. Mark (talk) 16:20, September 4, 2010 (UTC)
If the problem persists after a few days (wait a week, if you can), still use w:c:scarteleu:Special:Contact to report the problem. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 12:05 PM PST 6 Sep 2010

Icon not showing up

Hey I was wondering why the Favicon for my Deadliest Fiction Wiki is not showing up. I uploaded the Favicon.ico but it hasn't showed up for hours, I think I may uploading it wrong. Your help is much appreciated Omnicube1 05:57, November 22, 2010 (UTC)

Does the favicon work for both skins

or just for Oasis? --Waddle_D33

Out of date

The blue W hasn't been the default icon for a while. It's the dark blue "[]" now. This should be updated. On a wiki that was created in 2010, it is the [] icon but the upload summary says it is the W, so I dunno what's up there. ~Bobogoobo (talk • contribs) — 06:50 AM, Sun. 30 December 2012 (UTC)

Unable to update favicon

I've tried everything I can for this ( http://katawashoujo.wikia.com/wiki/Katawa_Shoujo_Wiki is the wiki). I downloaded the favicon using Infranview, and uploaded it through the Theme Designer, but it's not changing. I even tried adding "?action=purge" and I still get the two square brackets as the favicon, like what this site and all wikia's have by default. Schiffy (Speak to me|What I've done) 01:34, March 31, 2013 (UTC)

The favicon on the wiki you linked looks like it's working to me: I see a pink heart inside a black square. There's a lot of layers of caching between you and Wikia, as explained in this recent staff blog, so it will take a while to update. Try waiting 24 hours and check the favicon again. If it's still not working after you've waited 24 hours, please contact Wikia support staff at Special:Contact. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 01:50 UTC, Sunday, 31 March 2013
So someone else is seeing it, but I'm not. That's a pain, but at least it's partially working. I'll check with the other admins and see if they see it too. Schiffy (Speak to me|What I've done) 02:08, March 31, 2013 (UTC)

Favicon size

The favicon is simply an .ico file, which can have the size up to 256x256.
Wikia suggest users uploading only a 16x16 sized icon, but this trend has been moved away from for some browsers.

• Since Windows 8, you can pink websites to the Start screen, and these have the size of 32x32.
  • Since Android Marshmallow, Chrome will use icons up to the size of 256x256 depending on the density of the screen. (Nexus 5 has 96x96).

If the icon isn't available in these sizes, no icon is used instead, which won't look branded at all.
You can, as of now, simply upload a 256x256 icon, and I have yet to see any issues with that.
However, Wikia still suggest users to upload 16x16 icons, and the UI only really having space for 80x80
Would like to see an update to support the future
— Liggliluff Liggliluff_Avatar.png (talk, contr.) 13:14, February 22, 2016 (UTC)