Community Central
Community Central
m (→‎Deleting categories: Slight cleanup.)
(→‎Deleting categories: The category you want to delete does not actually exist.)
Line 16: Line 16:

:::No longer having red linked categories is driving me nuts! Yes, it looks nice, but I cannot tell which ones need to be created and which ones do not. Also, it creates the illusion that every category is populated. And yes I know that there are Special: pages for these two things, but it’s knowing at a glance that a category needs to be created that is helpful. Also, a red link is often one’s first indication that one has made a mistake in entering the category name. Now we no longer have that check. — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 03:26, July 23, 2011 (UTC)

:::No longer having red linked categories is driving me nuts! Yes, it looks nice, but I cannot tell which ones need to be created and which ones do not. Also, it creates the illusion that every category is populated. And yes I know that there are Special: pages for these two things, but it’s knowing at a glance that a category needs to be created that is helpful. Also, a red link is often one’s first indication that one has made a mistake in entering the category name. Now we no longer have that check. — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 03:26, July 23, 2011 (UTC)

<small>(reset indent)</small>[[File:Chadias category delete 2011-07-25.png|left|200px]]Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear for me in the drop menu. I can only protect categories, and there's no other option. Here's a print screen to make it clearer: — [User:Chadias|Chadias]] 20:05, July 25, 2011 (UTC)<div style="clear:both"></div>
+
<small>(reset indent)</small>[[File:Chadias category delete 2011-07-25.png|right|200px]]Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear for me in the drop menu. I can only protect categories, and there's no other option. Here's a print screen to make it clearer: — [[User:Chadias|Chadias]] ([[User talk:Chadias|talk]]) 20:05, July 25, 2011 (UTC)<div style="clear:both"></div>
  +
  +
:It is as Monchoman45 suspected: The category you want to delete does not actually exist. Up until recently, it would have displayed, on those pages that would populate it were it to exist, as a [[wikipedia:WP:REDLINK|red link]]. You do not have the <span style="font-variant: small-caps;"><b>Delete</b></span> option because the page does not exist. The clue is where it says<blockquote>''This page needs content. You can help by adding a sentence or a photo''</blockquote>This is part of the software. Hope that helps! — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 22:58, July 25, 2011 (UTC)

Revision as of 22:58, 25 July 2011

Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

File:DeletionScreen.jpg

What happened to the image for deletion reasons: File:DeletionScreen.jpg? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 20:47, February 21, 2011 (UTC)

It looks like it was never uploaded. Some of these rewrites were pulled in from other testbed/holding wikis, and its possible that some images were forgotten to be re-uploaded here. I'll ask sarah about it. --Uberfuzzy 22:30, February 21, 2011 (UTC)

Deleting categories

There's no explanation for deleting categories, and also I have found no way of doing so yet. (Chadias 18:48, July 22, 2011 (UTC))

I do not understand the issue. For me, I just go to the pulldown next to Edit and there it is: delete. From that point on it looks like it is pretty standard. But, you will still have to remove the category from each and every page that is categorizing to it. That would require a bot, the AutoWiki Browser, or one-by-one manual effort. — SpikeToronto 19:10, July 22, 2011 (UTC)
I believe the issue here is that the category does not exist in the first place. Yes, it is blue linked on pages, but without any actual page content the category does not exist and can't be deleted. It's for this reason that most people opposed the idea of bluelinking categories.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  22:36,7/22/2011 
No longer having red linked categories is driving me nuts! Yes, it looks nice, but I cannot tell which ones need to be created and which ones do not. Also, it creates the illusion that every category is populated. And yes I know that there are Special: pages for these two things, but it’s knowing at a glance that a category needs to be created that is helpful. Also, a red link is often one’s first indication that one has made a mistake in entering the category name. Now we no longer have that check. — SpikeToronto 03:26, July 23, 2011 (UTC)

(reset indent)

Chadias category delete 2011-07-25

Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear for me in the drop menu. I can only protect categories, and there's no other option. Here's a print screen to make it clearer: — Chadias (talk) 20:05, July 25, 2011 (UTC)

It is as Monchoman45 suspected: The category you want to delete does not actually exist. Up until recently, it would have displayed, on those pages that would populate it were it to exist, as a red link. You do not have the Delete option because the page does not exist. The clue is where it says

This page needs content. You can help by adding a sentence or a photo

This is part of the software. Hope that helps! — SpikeToronto 22:58, July 25, 2011 (UTC)