Community Central
Community Central
(→‎Selective restores: new section)
(→‎Delete: new section)
(30 intermediate revisions by 18 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{talkheader}}<br/>
+
{{talkheader}}<br />

== [[:File:DeletionScreen.jpg]] ==

== [[:File:DeletionScreen.jpg]] ==
Line 16: Line 16:

:::No longer having red linked categories is driving me nuts! Yes, it looks nice, but I cannot tell which ones need to be created and which ones do not. Also, it creates the illusion that every category is populated. And yes I know that there are Special: pages for these two things, but it’s knowing at a glance that a category needs to be created that is helpful. Also, a red link is often one’s first indication that one has made a mistake in entering the category name. Now we no longer have that check. — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 03:26, July 23, 2011 (UTC)

:::No longer having red linked categories is driving me nuts! Yes, it looks nice, but I cannot tell which ones need to be created and which ones do not. Also, it creates the illusion that every category is populated. And yes I know that there are Special: pages for these two things, but it’s knowing at a glance that a category needs to be created that is helpful. Also, a red link is often one’s first indication that one has made a mistake in entering the category name. Now we no longer have that check. — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 03:26, July 23, 2011 (UTC)

<small>(reset indent)</small>[[File:Chadias category delete 2011-07-25.png|right|200px]]Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear for me in the drop menu. I can only protect categories, and there's no other option. Here's a print screen to make it clearer: — [[User:Chadias|Chadias]] ([[User talk:Chadias|talk]]) 20:05, July 25, 2011 (UTC)<div style="clear:both"></div>
+
<small>(reset indent)</small>[[File:Chadias category delete 2011-07-25.png|right|200px]]Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear for me in the drop menu. I can only protect categories, and there's no other option. Here's a print screen to make it clearer: — [[User:Chadias|Chadias]] ([[User talk:Chadias|talk]]) 20:05, July 25, 2011 (UTC)
  +
  +
<div style="clear:both"> </div>
  +

:It is as Monchoman45 suspected: The category you want to delete does not actually exist. Up until recently, it would have displayed, on those pages that would populate it were it to exist, as a [[wikipedia:WP:REDLINK|red link]]. You do not have the <span style="font-variant: small-caps;"><b>Delete</b></span> option because the page does not exist. The clue is where it says<blockquote>''This page needs content. You can help by adding a sentence or a photo''</blockquote>This is part of the software. Hope that helps! — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 22:58, July 25, 2011 (UTC)

:It is as Monchoman45 suspected: The category you want to delete does not actually exist. Up until recently, it would have displayed, on those pages that would populate it were it to exist, as a [[wikipedia:WP:REDLINK|red link]]. You do not have the <span style="font-variant: small-caps;"><b>Delete</b></span> option because the page does not exist. The clue is where it says<blockquote>''This page needs content. You can help by adding a sentence or a photo''</blockquote>This is part of the software. Hope that helps! — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 22:58, July 25, 2011 (UTC)
Line 26: Line 29:

I found out recently that if you restore a deleted page, you can select which revisions to be brought back. It might be useful to point this out so that if someone wanted to more permanently get rid of vandalism in a page, they could delete it, then restore the good versions. —[[User:RRabbit42|RRabbit42]] (<small>[[User talk:RRabbit42|leave a message]]</small>) 23:56, January 28, 2012 (UTC)

I found out recently that if you restore a deleted page, you can select which revisions to be brought back. It might be useful to point this out so that if someone wanted to more permanently get rid of vandalism in a page, they could delete it, then restore the good versions. —[[User:RRabbit42|RRabbit42]] (<small>[[User talk:RRabbit42|leave a message]]</small>) 23:56, January 28, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
  +
There is NO delete function and the edit button doesn't have a delete function!
  +
  +
You, CAMERAPEDIA, know that and don't fix it, why?
  +
  +
Why is it impossible to delete a personal picture?
  +
  +
[[User:Frank Gosebruch|Frank Gosebruch]] ([[User talk:Frank Gosebruch|talk]]) 10:29, October 15, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Extra Steps ==
  +
  +
Besides deleting a page, an admin should also keep the following in mind:
  +
*Check the page history, previous revisions may be worthy of keeping.
  +
*[[Special:WhatLinksHere]] to check if there are any pages that link to the deletion candidate.
  +
*Talk pages, if any were created these should be removed alongside with the main page.
  +
[[User:GFallen|GFallen]] ([[User talk:GFallen|talk]]) 13:36, November 21, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
==Removed Wikis==
  +
Does Wikia save removed wikis? [[User:Galzigler|Galzigler]] ([[User talk:Galzigler|talk]]) 00:28, March 25, 2013 (UTC)
  +
  +
== No Delete ==
  +
  +
I try to delete a page as you told me, but the "delete" was no on the list
  +
  +
[[User:Still doll85|Still doll85]] ([[User talk:Still doll85|talk]]) 16:43, June 11, 2014 (UTC)
  +
  +
:You have to be an admin to delete things. --[[User:Tupka217|<span style="color:#008000">'''Tupka'''</span>]][[Message wall:Tupka217|<sup><span style="color:#FF8C00">''217''</span></sup>]] 16:56, June 11, 2014 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Disabled account ==
  +
Hi, I don't know if I am allowed to write here, or if this topic belongs here, but I have a big problem. I already disabled my account called Jammer484493, but I want to know if all my comments are deleted, because I am getting so many Jam-a-Grams asking and asking for everything that I have typed in that account. If you can delete ALL my comments from Jammer484493 somehow, that would be really great. If not, really sorry that I bothered you guys.
  +
  +
[[User:Autumn Ghost|Autumn Ghost]] ([[User talk:Autumn Ghost|talk]]) 17:08, January 31, 2015 (UTC)Autumn Ghost
  +
  +
:I have no idea what a jam-a-gram is, but to answer your question: when your account is disabled, all edits remain. The account and its edits are still there, it just can't be accessed any more. --[[User:Tupka217|<span style="color:#008000">'''Tupka'''</span>]][[Message wall:Tupka217|<sup><span style="color:#FF8C00">''217''</span></sup>]] 17:15, January 31, 2015 (UTC)
  +
  +
:You can read more about account closure here: [[Help:Closing an account]]. If you need comments deleted, I suggest either asking an admin on your wikia, or send in a [[Special:Contact]] request for Wikia's community team to look into it. {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 15:30, February 2, 2015 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Deletion ==
  +
  +
Hi,
  +
  +
I was wondering if an admin could close my account. It's just I don't use Wikia that much and if that's the case, what's the point in me having a account that I don't use? I hope the Wikia community understands this.
  +
  +
Kind regards,
  +
  +
[[User:Chaz4eva|Chaz4eva]] ([[User talk:Chaz4eva|talk]]) 18:21, June 5, 2015 (UTC)Chaz4eva
  +
  +
:You can just abandon it, and if you change your mind in the future, come back. There's no harm in that. If you're certain you want to close your account, [[Special:Contact/close-account|go here]]. --[[User:Tupka217|<span style="color:#008000">'''Tupka'''</span>]][[Message wall:Tupka217|<sup><span style="color:#FF8C00">''217''</span></sup>]] 18:25, June 5, 2015 (UTC)
  +
  +
==Can't restore a comment==
  +
When I delete comments on pages and restore them, the link works, but the comment is nowhere to be seen.
  +
  +
[[User:PapiDimmi|PapiDimmi]] ([[User talk:PapiDimmi|talk]]) 15:54, March 18, 2016 (UTC)
  +
  +
:So that Wikia Support can investigate this, can you send the details in to [[Special:Contact/bug]], including links? Thanks! {{User:Kirkburn/Sig}} 14:38, March 21, 2016 (UTC)
  +
  +
==Permanently delete page history==
  +
Is it possible to delete the page history permanently? <small>—Preceding unsigned comment added by [[User:Ameno46|Ameno46]] ([[User talk:Ameno46|talk]]) 23:45, October 27, 2017 (UTC) - [[Help:Signatures|Please sign your comments with <nowiki>~~~~</nowiki>]]</small>
  +
  +
:No. But administrators can delete revisions of page histories by deleting the pages and then restoring the revisions that they want to keep. VSTF, Helpers, and Staff can hide certain revisions so they can't be seen by local users including administrators.
  +
  +
:VSTF, Helpers, and Utilities can also delete specific revisions of pages without having to delete the whole page first. It would be rather handy if administrators could delete specific revisions as well, but they can't. ― <span style="font-family:'Constantia'; font-weight:bold; font-size:108%;">[[User:C.Syde65|<font color="maroon">C.Syde</font>]]</span> <span style="font-family:'Adobe Garamond Pro'; font-size:108%;">([[User talk:C.Syde65|<font color="black">talk</font>]] | [[:Special:Contributions/C.Syde65|<font color="black">contribs</font>]])</span> 23:50, October 27, 2017 (UTC)
  +
  +
::If the page were deleted, does the page history can be seen? Thank you--[[User:Ameno46|Ameno46]] ([[User talk:Ameno46|talk]]) 03:15, October 28, 2017 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::The page history will not be seen, but administrators and content moderators can still view deleted revisions of deleted pages, along with their page histories. ― <span style="font-family:'Constantia'; font-weight:bold; font-size:108%;">[[User:C.Syde65|<font color="maroon">C.Syde</font>]]</span> <span style="font-family:'Adobe Garamond Pro'; font-size:108%;">([[User talk:C.Syde65|<font color="black">talk</font>]] | [[:Special:Contributions/C.Syde65|<font color="black">contribs</font>]])</span> 03:26, October 28, 2017 (UTC)
  +
:::::::I should note that staff could oversight the revisions in question. On WMF projects, its used often. Oh wikia, its deprecated thus it would take system admin intervention to completely remove from view. <span style="font-family:sans-serif">&mdash; <span style="font-weight:bold">[[User:MechQueste|<span style="color:green; font-style:italic">MechQueste</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:MechQueste|<span style="color:green">talk</span>]]</sup></span></span> 14:57, October 29, 2017 (UTC)
  +
  +
==Community delete?==
  +
How can I delete a community? (i am the admin there) [[User:Botuczy|Botuczy]] ([[User talk:Botuczy|talk]]) 05:58, November 10, 2018 (UTC)
  +
  +
::You can request deleting through [[Special:Contact/close-wiki]] , please note that FANDOM don't usually delete wikis once they have been created. Wikis are community-owned projects, and a wiki you are no longer interested in can wait for someone else to come along and adopt it.{{User:Yuusuke_Takazaki/S|06:18, November 10, 2018 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
::Thanks for answering! [[User:Botuczy|Botuczy]] ([[User talk:Botuczy|talk]]) 13:51, November 10, 2018 (UTC)
  +
  +
==Massive Delete or shortcut==
  +
Hello there,
  +
  +
I was wondering if there is any way to delete more pages in once, or if there is a shortcut to delete a page without doing all the standard process, to be faster when dealing with a lot of pages to erase. Thank you. [[User:Elfrax|Elfrax]] ([[User talk:Elfrax|talk]]) 07:35, June 11, 2019 (UTC)
  +
:Hi there, please check out [[w:c:dev:AjaxBatchDelete]] - it's a script you can import to quickly delete pages/files. [[User:Noreplyz|<span style="color:#fff;border-radius:2px;padding:5px 7px;background:#37f">'''noreplyz'''</span>]] [[User talk:Noreplyz|talk]] 11:03, June 11, 2019 (UTC)
  +
  +
How will deleting work?
  +
  +
== Delete ==
  +
  +
Delete

Revision as of 03:24, 3 February 2020

Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

File:DeletionScreen.jpg

What happened to the image for deletion reasons: File:DeletionScreen.jpg? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 20:47, February 21, 2011 (UTC)

It looks like it was never uploaded. Some of these rewrites were pulled in from other testbed/holding wikis, and its possible that some images were forgotten to be re-uploaded here. I'll ask sarah about it. --Uberfuzzy 22:30, February 21, 2011 (UTC)

Deleting categories

There's no explanation for deleting categories, and also I have found no way of doing so yet. (Chadias 18:48, July 22, 2011 (UTC))

I do not understand the issue. For me, I just go to the pulldown next to Edit and there it is: delete. From that point on it looks like it is pretty standard. But, you will still have to remove the category from each and every page that is categorizing to it. That would require a bot, the AutoWiki Browser, or one-by-one manual effort. — SpikeToronto 19:10, July 22, 2011 (UTC)
I believe the issue here is that the category does not exist in the first place. Yes, it is blue linked on pages, but without any actual page content the category does not exist and can't be deleted. It's for this reason that most people opposed the idea of bluelinking categories.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  22:36,7/22/2011 
No longer having red linked categories is driving me nuts! Yes, it looks nice, but I cannot tell which ones need to be created and which ones do not. Also, it creates the illusion that every category is populated. And yes I know that there are Special: pages for these two things, but it’s knowing at a glance that a category needs to be created that is helpful. Also, a red link is often one’s first indication that one has made a mistake in entering the category name. Now we no longer have that check. — SpikeToronto 03:26, July 23, 2011 (UTC)

(reset indent)

Chadias category delete 2011-07-25

Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear for me in the drop menu. I can only protect categories, and there's no other option. Here's a print screen to make it clearer: — Chadias (talk) 20:05, July 25, 2011 (UTC)

It is as Monchoman45 suspected: The category you want to delete does not actually exist. Up until recently, it would have displayed, on those pages that would populate it were it to exist, as a red link. You do not have the Delete option because the page does not exist. The clue is where it says

This page needs content. You can help by adding a sentence or a photo

This is part of the software. Hope that helps! — SpikeToronto 22:58, July 25, 2011 (UTC)
Thank you very much! I'm very new to this... Sorry for the trouble.
It would be nice to add it to the deletion page though, to make it clearer. I think I can do that, not sure... I will try. Chadias 23:25, July 25, 2011 (UTC)

Selective restores

I found out recently that if you restore a deleted page, you can select which revisions to be brought back. It might be useful to point this out so that if someone wanted to more permanently get rid of vandalism in a page, they could delete it, then restore the good versions. —RRabbit42 (leave a message) 23:56, January 28, 2012 (UTC)

There is NO delete function and the edit button doesn't have a delete function!

You, CAMERAPEDIA, know that and don't fix it, why?

Why is it impossible to delete a personal picture?

Frank Gosebruch (talk) 10:29, October 15, 2012 (UTC)

Extra Steps

Besides deleting a page, an admin should also keep the following in mind:

• Check the page history, previous revisions may be worthy of keeping.
  • Special:WhatLinksHere to check if there are any pages that link to the deletion candidate.
  • Talk pages, if any were created these should be removed alongside with the main page.

GFallen (talk) 13:36, November 21, 2012 (UTC)

Removed Wikis

Does Wikia save removed wikis? Galzigler (talk) 00:28, March 25, 2013 (UTC)

No Delete

I try to delete a page as you told me, but the "delete" was no on the list

Still doll85 (talk) 16:43, June 11, 2014 (UTC)

You have to be an admin to delete things. --Tupka217 16:56, June 11, 2014 (UTC)

Disabled account

Hi, I don't know if I am allowed to write here, or if this topic belongs here, but I have a big problem. I already disabled my account called Jammer484493, but I want to know if all my comments are deleted, because I am getting so many Jam-a-Grams asking and asking for everything that I have typed in that account. If you can delete ALL my comments from Jammer484493 somehow, that would be really great. If not, really sorry that I bothered you guys.

Autumn Ghost (talk) 17:08, January 31, 2015 (UTC)Autumn Ghost

I have no idea what a jam-a-gram is, but to answer your question: when your account is disabled, all edits remain. The account and its edits are still there, it just can't be accessed any more. --Tupka217 17:15, January 31, 2015 (UTC)
You can read more about account closure here: Help:Closing an account. If you need comments deleted, I suggest either asking an admin on your wikia, or send in a Special:Contact request for Wikia's community team to look into it. Kirkburn  talk  contr    15:30, February 2, 2015 (UTC)

Deletion

Hi,

I was wondering if an admin could close my account. It's just I don't use Wikia that much and if that's the case, what's the point in me having a account that I don't use? I hope the Wikia community understands this.

Kind regards,

Chaz4eva (talk) 18:21, June 5, 2015 (UTC)Chaz4eva

You can just abandon it, and if you change your mind in the future, come back. There's no harm in that. If you're certain you want to close your account, go here. --Tupka217 18:25, June 5, 2015 (UTC)

Can't restore a comment

When I delete comments on pages and restore them, the link works, but the comment is nowhere to be seen.

PapiDimmi (talk) 15:54, March 18, 2016 (UTC)

So that Wikia Support can investigate this, can you send the details in to Special:Contact/bug, including links? Thanks! Kirkburn  talk  contr    14:38, March 21, 2016 (UTC)

Permanently delete page history

Is it possible to delete the page history permanently? —Preceding unsigned comment added by Ameno46 (talk) 23:45, October 27, 2017 (UTC) - Please sign your comments with ~~~~

No. But administrators can delete revisions of page histories by deleting the pages and then restoring the revisions that they want to keep. VSTF, Helpers, and Staff can hide certain revisions so they can't be seen by local users including administrators.
VSTF, Helpers, and Utilities can also delete specific revisions of pages without having to delete the whole page first. It would be rather handy if administrators could delete specific revisions as well, but they can't. ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 23:50, October 27, 2017 (UTC)
If the page were deleted, does the page history can be seen? Thank you--Ameno46 (talk) 03:15, October 28, 2017 (UTC)
The page history will not be seen, but administrators and content moderators can still view deleted revisions of deleted pages, along with their page histories. ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 03:26, October 28, 2017 (UTC)
I should note that staff could oversight the revisions in question. On WMF projects, its used often. Oh wikia, its deprecated thus it would take system admin intervention to completely remove from view. MechQueste talk 14:57, October 29, 2017 (UTC)

Community delete?

How can I delete a community? (i am the admin there) Botuczy (talk) 05:58, November 10, 2018 (UTC)

You can request deleting through Special:Contact/close-wiki , please note that FANDOM don't usually delete wikis once they have been created. Wikis are community-owned projects, and a wiki you are no longer interested in can wait for someone else to come along and adopt it.★ YuusukeTakazaki SOAP06:18, November 10, 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for answering! Botuczy (talk) 13:51, November 10, 2018 (UTC)

Massive Delete or shortcut

Hello there,

I was wondering if there is any way to delete more pages in once, or if there is a shortcut to delete a page without doing all the standard process, to be faster when dealing with a lot of pages to erase. Thank you. Elfrax (talk) 07:35, June 11, 2019 (UTC)

Hi there, please check out w:c:dev:AjaxBatchDelete - it's a script you can import to quickly delete pages/files. noreplyz talk 11:03, June 11, 2019 (UTC)

How will deleting work?

Delete

Delete