Why was a link to an alternate dump-creating tool removed by Uberfuzzy without any explanations (even no edit comment)? Is this because Wikia doesn't actually want people to be able to make dumps? Your Special:Statistics dumps are often out of date for months, and they do not include images and logs. >MediaWikiDumper 17:51, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
- the above conversation is regarding the below removed edit:
- "If the database backup is not up to date, you may use MediaWikiDumper tool by Edward Chernenko."
- I add it here to discuss per Xd1358's advice :
- "You may not modify an official help page. You should try leaving a message on the talk page, asking if you can add it. IMHO, that is not abuse of power."
- This staff member has made a much more drastic change "without any explanations" last month, merging 233 help pages then protecting the pages. Anno1404 14:56, November 3, 2010 (UTC)
Can't find the "update dump" button anymore O.o Lady Noe (talk) 13:39, January 24, 2017 (UTC)
- It's supposed to be on Special:Statistics. Which wiki are you referring to? -- Cube-shaped garbage can 13:43, January 24, 2017 (UTC)
- It is back now... although also is the bug that doesn't let you download COMPLETE dumps of large wikias. I think they will never fix that Lady Noe (talk) 20:52, January 26, 2017 (UTC)
- The "update dump" button is only available to logged-in, confirmed users. Perhaps you were logged out when it wasn't there? The bug causing incomplete dump files is known, but yes, it's sadly taking quite a while to be fixed. Mira Laime (help forum | blog) 21:50, January 26, 2017 (UTC)
Hi, I have a quick question: Why was the dump request button removed? Now only administrators can request dumps, that is very inconvenient! —This unsigned comment is by JPwiki123 (wall • contribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.
- Unfortunately, the previous setup resulted in the server queue getting completely overloaded (a couple of accounts requested thousands of dumps), which prevented anyone from getting their dumps. Restricting it to admins is a fairly simple way of preventing future abuse of the feature. The support team are quite happy to click the button when an admin is not available - just use Special:Contact/general to ask. 14:12, May 20, 2017 (UTC)
- It's pretty sad that a few users spoiled things for everyone. To date most public wiki dumps have ended precisely at the day the button was removed (unless requested), approaching 2 years old. Any chance of loosening up the harsh restriction? If Wikia/Fandom has spare cycles, make dumps of wikis that haven't had dumps made within a time period or a certain number of edits. --PlNG (talk) 03:45, February 11, 2019 (UTC)
Guidelines needed for files
The XML generated by dumping doesn't include the images used on a wiki, only the pages, an article on ways to automate the mass downloading of all files in a streamlined way would be a great pairing for this. talk2ty 08:33, January 24, 2019 (UTC)
- There's no supported/official way of downloading all files in a particular wiki. However, there are some external programs like w:c:dev:RubyWikiDownloader that may help with this task. talk 13:51, January 24, 2019 (UTC)
Hi. I have some dumps, and I'm using a Mac so I can't use 7-Zip (it doesn't work very well with Wine). I downloaded The Unarchiver instead, and it asks for filename encoding to open the archive. What kind of encoding does Fandom use? Is it different for wikis in different languages? Thanks, Cg097 (talk) 17:04, 2 March 2021 (UTC)
Deleted Wikia Dump
Transcripts Wikia has been deleted. How do I get to it's dump? On the fandom's home screen, "Current pages" & "Current pages and history" both open a new tab which immediately closes back out. How do I get my pages back? NightmareGuardian19 (talk)
Is there a different option for downloading only the files from a wiki you administrate (images, pdf's, .mp3, .mp4, yt video links), since i've heard of a few, but they involve complex python programs. ChickenLover21 (talk) 23:51, 26 March 2022 (UTC)
Forking a wiki
When forking a Fandom wiki, should I get the "current pages" dump, or the "current pages and history" one?
I heard that including the full revision history when forking a wiki is a requirement of the wiki's licensing terms. 126.96.36.199 17:37, 9 May 2022 (UTC)
- Depends on you which option you want to use. Yes, the wiki you are importing have licensing terms. Providing license while it's being imported would be cool. —Baran ☪︎ 18:32, 9 May 2022 (UTC)