Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
Tags: Help sourceedit
m (Fixing TR link.)
Tag: Help
(12 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:Mouse-over_tool-tip.jpg|Example of a large tooltip from the Ikariam Wiki's [[w:c:ikariam:Building:Dump|Dump]] page|thumb|250px]]
+
[[File:Mouse-over tool-tip.jpg|Example of a large tooltip from the Ikariam Wiki's [[w:c:ikariam:Building:Dump|Dump]] page|thumb|250px]]
  +
'''Tooltips''' are simple hover effects you can use to provide extra information to readers when they hover over certain elements on a page, such as text. This is most useful for adding context, expanding abbreviations, quick common term translations, and adding a description to terms on your community that may not be obvious to a general reader. They should only be used on text elements for best results, and should use the <code><nowiki><abbr></nowiki></code> tag rather than <code><nowiki><div></nowiki></code> or <code><nowiki><span></nowiki></code>.

+
Mobile devices are not able to "hover", as they have no pointing device. Therefore, you should only use tooltips to supply simple and additional information,<sup>[https://www.w3.org/TR/html/dom.html#the-title-attribute W3.org]</sup> and not rely on them to supply important content.
'''Tooltips''' are simple hover effects you can use to provide extra information to readers when they hover over certain elements on a page, such as text.

== Step by step ==

== Step by step ==
In order to make a basic tooltip all you will have to do is surround the text you wish to have a tooltip with ''div'' or ''span'' tags containing the parameter '''title="text goes here!"''', like this:
+
In order to make a basic tooltip all you will have to do is surround the text you wish to have a tooltip with ''abbr'' tags containing the parameter '''title="text goes here!"''', like this:

:<code><nowiki><span title="This is a tool-tip!">Mouse-over me to see the tool-tip!</span></nowiki></code>
+
:<code><nowiki><abbr title="This is a tool-tip!">Mouse-over me to see the tool-tip!</abbr></nowiki></code>

+
To produce this (using the ''abbr'' tag):
This results in:

: <span title="This is a tool-tip!">Mouse-over me to see the tool-tip!</span>
+
: <abbr title="This is a tool-tip!">Mouse-over me to see the tool-tip!</abbr>

You can also change the way the cursor looks when hovering over the same text or any other text by adding '''style="cursor:<cursor-style>;"'''. For example:

You can also change the way the cursor looks when hovering over the same text or any other text by adding '''style="cursor:<cursor-style>;"'''. For example:

# '''style="cursor:help;"''' will produce this:

# '''style="cursor:help;"''' will produce this:
#: <span style="cursor:help;" title="This is a mouse-over tool-tip with the cursor set to help">Mouse-over me to see the 'help' cursor.</span>
+
#: <abbr style="cursor:help;" title="This is a mouse-over tool-tip with the cursor set to help">Mouse-over me to see the 'help' cursor.</abbr>

# '''style="cursor:pointer;"''' will produce this:

# '''style="cursor:pointer;"''' will produce this:
#: <span style="cursor:pointer;" title="This is a mouse-over tool-tip with the cursor set to pointer">Mouse-over me to see the 'pointer' cursor.</span>
+
#: <abbr style="cursor:pointer;" title="This is a mouse-over tool-tip with the cursor set to pointer">Mouse-over me to see the 'pointer' cursor.</abbr>

{{Seealso|Help:Cursor}}

{{Seealso|Help:Cursor}}
Line 23: Line 24:

== See also ==

== See also ==

* Learn how to [[Help:New page|create a new page]]

* Learn how to [[Help:New page|create a new page]]
* Learn how to [[Help:Modifying text|modify text]]
+
* Learn how to [[Help:Formatting text/instructions|modify text]]

* Learn how to [[Help:Tables|make tables]]

* Learn how to [[Help:Tables|make tables]]

== Further help and feedback ==

== Further help and feedback ==

{{Help and feedback section}}

{{Help and feedback section}}

[[de:Hilfe:Tooltips]]

[[de:Hilfe:Spoiler]]

[[ja:ヘルプ:ツールチップ]]

[[ja:ヘルプ:ツールチップ]]
  +
[[pt:Ajuda:Tooltips]]

[[ru:Справка:Всплывающая подсказка]]

[[ru:Справка:Всплывающая подсказка]]
  +
[[tr:Yardım:İpuclar]]

[[uk:Довідка:Інтерактивна підказка]]

[[uk:Довідка:Інтерактивна підказка]]

[[zh:Help:提示框]]

[[zh:Help:提示框]]

[[Category:Editing]]

[[Category:Editing]]

[[Category:Source editing]]

[[Category:Source editing]]

Revision as of 20:43, 27 December 2019

Mouse-over tool-tip

Example of a large tooltip from the Ikariam Wiki's Dump page

Tooltips are simple hover effects you can use to provide extra information to readers when they hover over certain elements on a page, such as text. This is most useful for adding context, expanding abbreviations, quick common term translations, and adding a description to terms on your community that may not be obvious to a general reader. They should only be used on text elements for best results, and should use the <abbr> tag rather than <div> or <span>.

Mobile devices are not able to "hover", as they have no pointing device. Therefore, you should only use tooltips to supply simple and additional information,W3.org and not rely on them to supply important content.

Step by step

In order to make a basic tooltip all you will have to do is surround the text you wish to have a tooltip with abbr tags containing the parameter title="text goes here!", like this:

<abbr title="This is a tool-tip!">Mouse-over me to see the tool-tip!</abbr>

To produce this (using the abbr tag):

Mouse-over me to see the tool-tip!

You can also change the way the cursor looks when hovering over the same text or any other text by adding style="cursor:<cursor-style>;". For example:

1. style="cursor:help;" will produce this:
    Mouse-over me to see the 'help' cursor.
  2. style="cursor:pointer;" will produce this:
    Mouse-over me to see the 'pointer' cursor.

See also

Further help and feedback