System messages, also called MediaWiki messages, provide a means for customizing the interface of a wiki.
Please keep in mind that it is not always wise to tweak these messages. The default value is there because it is considered the most universally understandable terminology.
Step by step
As the messages are stored in the MediaWiki namespace, only admins of a community have the necessary permissions to be able to make changes to the system messages.
For security reasons, not all MediaWiki messages are freely editable. You can see the editable list here: Help:System messages/whitelist. If you want to edit a message not listed there, you must contact Fandom Staff.
- Go to Special:AllMessages, search for the text that you want to replace, and click the message that uses it.
- If the message has never been edited before, you will see the default message value in the editor. This will help confirm that you are editing the correct message.
- Edit the page just like a normal page, putting in the message text.
Pay careful attention to anything with a "$" in the message. This is a 'variable' that will be replaced when the message is actually being used. You may want to ask for help on the Community Central Discussions if you don't know what these variables represent.
- Save the message and verify that the message has changed.
Bypass your browser cache if you do not immediately see the change.
Using the special language code
In many cases you can use a special language code to find out a message name more quickly. This can be done by appending
?uselang=qqx to the URL (see this page as an example). All the messages on that page will then be replaced by the names of the pages in the MediaWiki namespace.
Notable system messages
- MediaWiki:Common.css - controls custom community CSS
- MediaWiki:Mainpage - controls the landing page when a visitor goes directly to the community's main URL in their address bar (such as 'community.fandom.com')
- MediaWiki:Licenses - defines the options users see for file copyright tags when uploading a file
- MediaWiki:Newarticletext - the message that appears when following a link to a page that doesn't exist yet
- MediaWiki:Noarticletext - the notice that appears when you have followed a non-existent page
- MediaWiki:Deletereason-dropdown - defines the default reasons when deleting a page
- MediaWiki:Filedelete-reason-dropdown - defines the default reasons when deleting a file
- MediaWiki:Ipbreason-dropdown - defines the default reasons when blocking a user
- MediaWiki:Protect-dropdown - defines the default reasons when protecting a page
- Help:System messages/whitelist - the list of pages in the MediaWiki namespace that administrators can edit. All others require a request to Fandom Staff
- System messages help on Mediawiki.org
- Customization policy - details about which parts of the site interface can or cannot be customized
- Description - in-depth information about customizing system messages to help search engines understand your content
- Theme designer - how best to change the background and wordmark of your wiki