- To switch from VisualEditor to a source editor, use the toolbar menu and click on menu at the top right where "Visual Editor" is.
- If you wish to always edit in source mode, you may wish to switch your preferences to the source editor. You can also set the default source editor you would like to use.
Currently, there are two versions of Source Editor available:
- VisualEditor - source mode, also known as the 2017 wikitext editor.
- Source editor, also known as the 2010 wikitext editor.
VisualEditor - source mode
The 2017 wikitext editor (VisualEditor - source mode) is the "source mode" of VisualEditor. It has the same toolbar as the VisualEditor in visual editing mode, and allows quick switching between the visual editing and source editing. It will always load as the source editor if VisualEditor is enabled in your preferences.
The 2010 wikitext editor (Source editor) has a simplified interface and toolbar. This editor is loaded in some locations where the 2017 wikitext editor is not available.
- All source editors support syntax highlighting.
- Switching to source mode in an editor may take a few moments, as it requires the contents of the editor to be turned back into wikitext.