A shared images repository allows a community to use images from another community without having to upload them locally. When enabled, you can insert images using the image name from the other community, and it will display as normal in articles.
How it works
Consider two communities: Alpha Wiki and Gamma Wiki.
Alpha Wiki contains lots of images about a topic, and Gamma Wiki wants to be able to use them without having to upload them all again. A common real-world example is communities in different languages: often the English community has the most content and images, and other languages may wish to use the same images.
With this feature enabled, Gamma Wiki can make use of Alpha Wiki's images the same way that you would use images that exist on Gamma Wiki.
For example, once enabled:
File:Image.pngexists on Alpha Wiki but not on Gamma Wiki, the Alpha Wiki version will be shown.
File:Image.pngexists on Alpha Wiki and Gamma Wiki, the Gamma Wiki version will be shown.
File:Image.pngonly exists on Gamma Wiki, it will be shown.
- Sharing goes only in one direction - Gamma Wiki can use Alpha Wiki's images, but not the other way around.
- Multiple communities can make use of Alpha Wiki's images.
How can I set this up?
Make sure there is support for this feature among the destination's (Gamma) community, and talk to the source (Alpha) community.
Once you've got community support for the idea, an admin from the destination community should contact Fandom Staff via Special:Contact to request this feature. Make sure to include the URL of both the source and destination communities.
- Editor tools on Gamma Wiki will not be able to search for images on Alpha Wiki.
- Changes to images on Alpha Wiki will not be logged on Gamma Wiki, so you may need to keep in touch with the source community, or at least monitor any of their images you prominently use.
- If images are moved on Alpha Wiki, image links may need to be updated on Gamma Wiki.
- If images are changed on Alpha Wiki, they may no longer serve the purposes of Gamma Wiki.
- It is also possible to use Wikimedia Commons as a source for images - this is called InstantCommons, and can also be requested via Special:Contact.