MediaWiki™ is the software which runs all of the communities on Fandom.
Originally created for Wikipedia, MediaWiki is an open source PHP-based wiki engine now used to run thousands of sites. It is officially classified as a content management system.
In general, any site that uses MediaWiki as its core software engine is considered a wiki, though due to the highly specialized platform at Fandom, our communities often have many different features and designs compared to normal wikis. Fandom communities are running on MediaWiki version 1.33.3.
Features of MediaWiki
MediaWiki is a highly-developed, multi-faceted software that has grown over time to encompass a number of needs for collaborative communities. As such, its features are numerous and usually in flux, but there are some key concepts and tools that MediaWiki is best known for.
- An interface that allows for editing of the wiki's content.
- Tools that allow for a structured and controlled system of user rights.
- Namespaces to help separate and prioritize content.
- Magic words to help construct information.
- A platform that allows for easy development of add-ons to the software, known in MediaWiki vernacular as extensions.
- A job queue that is designed to help a wiki perform background tasks at a rate that allows for the tasks to be completed in a timely manner without adversely affecting the technical performance of the wiki.
Fandom and MediaWiki
While Fandom runs on the MediaWiki platform, Fandom is not responsible for the development of the core software. Bugs can be reported to Special:Contact and Fandom will try to patch them.
However, please be aware that Fandom, due to our unique situation as having to host over 385,000 communities with a variety of topics and purposes, often optimizes MediaWiki coding for our servers. As such, copying Fandom code from our GitHub to a local installation of MediaWiki may prove to be difficult, as it will take some rewriting of the code to work on a normal local installation.
- For information about the MediaWiki namespace
- Customizing MediaWiki messages
- Wikipedia's article on MediaWiki
- For information on extensions available on Fandom
- Fandom is upgrading to a modern version of MediaWiki