- This extension is enabled by default on Fandom.
Lua is available as a templating language on Fandom, helping to provide users with the ability to create more maintainable templates and to improve the page performance.
Lua is a different coding experience to basic wikitext templates, resembling a more ‘traditional’ programming syntax. It offers two key advantages:
- Logical functionality is natively built into the Lua language, making the implementation of basic logic much easier in Lua than via MediaWiki's methods.
- Because Lua is streamlined for logical operations, it performs better than its wikitext counterparts.
Enabling and support
Lua is enabled by default on all wikis. The general standard Lua libraries along with the specialized Scribunto libraries are also available. Fandom's implementation of Scribunto on the legacy platform uses most standard features, but not all functions are supported. The differences are detailed in the reference manual.
For more background on the tool, read our introduction to Lua.
Lua module repository
Lua modules can also be loaded from the Fandom Developers Wiki using
require("Dev:ModuleName"), as opposed to
require("Module:ModuleName"). These "global modules" are available for re-use Fandom-wide and are described in more detail here.
Documentation and further help
Lua documentation on the Fandom Developers Wiki:
- Converting wikitext templates
- Reference manual, a comprehensive documentation page of Lua code
- Scribunto libraries
- Standard Lua libraries
- More help pages
In addition to this documentation, we have a forum board set up here to ask questions and get help.
- Lua on Wikipedia
- Lua modules on Wikipedia
- Lua-based templates on Wikipedia
- Scribunto extension page
- Learn Lua in 15 Minutes
- Official Lua documentation
- Fandom Developers Wiki (
- Lua reference manual
- Lua templating
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Fandom Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting Fandom for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article