==See also==
  +
* [[Help:Interwiki link/technical]] - detailed list of interwiki link types

* [[MetaWikipedia:Help:Interwiki linking]]

* [[MetaWikipedia:Help:Interwiki linking]]

* [[MetaWikipedia:Redirected user pages considered harmful]]

* [[MetaWikipedia:Redirected user pages considered harmful]]

Revision as of 14:09, 18 April 2008

An interwiki link is a link to another wiki on Wikia, or to any other wiki listed on the interwiki map, using the abbreviated form [[wikiname:pagetitle]]. This prevents you needing to use the full URL, and will prevent links from breaking if a wiki later changes its address.

How do I link to another Wikia?

To link from a Wikia to another, use [[w:c:wikiname:pagename]], e.g. [[w:c:Starwars:Jedi]]. Some Wikia have their own wiki prefix; for example, the Star Wars Wikia has a prefix of "Starwars", and its Jedi page can be linked via Starwars:Jedi.

How do I link to the Central Wikia?

You can use the format [[wikia:Page name]] (or just [[w:Page name]]) to link to pages on the central Wikia site.

How do I link to an external wiki?

Sites listed in the interwiki map can be linked via [[wiki prefix:page name]]. For example, [[Wikipedia:Jedi]] will be converted to link to the English Wikipedia's "Jedi" article: Wikipedia:Jedi.

Note that the name used in the interwiki link is not always exactly the same as the domain or sub-domain, e.g. MetaWikipedia: vs. http://meta.wikimedia.org

See the Wikia:interwiki map for interwiki prefixes for an ever-growing list of individual external wikis.

How do I link to a Wikia site from an external wiki?

If the Central Wikia is in the interwiki map of another wiki, you can link to any Wikia using the syntax: [[Wikia:c:Wiki name:Page title]] or [[Wikiasite:Projectname:Page title]]

For example, [[Wikia:c:Starwars:Jedi]] or Wikiasite:Starwars:Jedi from a wiki outside Wikia would link to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi

The c stands for "city" (a legacy from Wikia's origin as "Wikicities") and makes use of automatic redirects.

Can I make an interwiki redirect?

It is sometimes possible to redirect to another wiki using interwiki links (although this has now been disabled by default in MediaWiki). Such redirects are not recommended since they can be surprising and confusing for users to be taken automatically to a different wiki.

There is no easy way for the user to return to the original page other than using the "back" button on their browser, and it is difficult to edit the page once redirected. Redirects of user pages are especially harmful, since it prevents people finding the contributions list of that user. A soft redirect can be used as an alternative.

See also