An interwiki link is a link to another community, most often found within the body of an article. It can be to another FANDOM community or any of the sites listed on the interwiki map. It's an easy, wikitext way to link to a page on another wiki without having to type out a whole URL.
Linking to another FANDOM community
- To create an interwiki link from your FANDOM community to another, use the format
[[w:c:wiki-name:pagename]]. For instance, if you wanted to link to The Queen Victoria page on the Eastenders Wiki, you would use
[[w:c:eastenders:The Queen Victoria]].
- If you would like to modify the displayed text, do as you would with any link. Add a '|' after the link, followed by your desired text. For example,
[[w:c:eastenders:The Queen Victoria|test]]would appear as test.
- You might want to actually click on newly-made interwiki links to make sure your spelling's right. Unlike normal links, interwiki links don't check to see whether the target page exists. That means w:c:batman:The Joker looks the same as the uncreated w:c:batman:Superman needs to stay in Metropolis.
- Non-English communities often use language code prefixes. You'll typically link to a page on a German community by putting de. before the domain name:
[[w:c:de.wiki-name:Page Name]]. It's important to use the name of the page in the target language. Something like w:c:ru.disney:Donald Duck probably won't work, but w:c:ru.disney:Дональд Дак will.
Linking to an external wiki community
- Sites listed in the interwiki map can be linked via
[[prefix:pagename]]. For example,
[[wikipedia:Jedi]]will be converted to link to the English Wikipedia's "Jedi" article: wikipedia:Jedi.
[[wp:es:India]]will be converted to link to the Spanish Wikipedia's "India" article: wikipedia:es:India
- Interwiki prefixes are generally case-insensitive, meaning that wikispecies:Lemur, Wikispecies:Lemur — and even wiKISPECies:Lemur — all go to the same place.
- Some communities have multiple interwiki prefixes at FANDOM. Consider https://meta.wikimedia.org. FANDOM's interwiki map allows m: and meta: and metawikimedia: to work. In other cases — like wiktionary: — there may be only one way to get to a community.
- Many off-FANDOM MediaWiki help pages are kept on https://mediawiki.org/wiki/, which can be linked to with mw: — but you shouldn't confuse this with the MediaWiki: namespace for system messages.
Linking to a FANDOM community from an off-FANDOM community
If you're on a non-FANDOM wiki, you can usually link back here using one of the following three syntaxes:
[[wikia:wiki-name:pagename]] [[wikia:c:wiki-name:pagename]] [[wikiasite:wiki-name:pagename]]
For example, typing
[[wikia:muppet:Kermit]] on a community outside FANDOM would link to the Kermit page at the Muppet Wiki.
- Shared help and shared templates are special cases of interwiki links
- Interlanguage links connect two wikis covering the same topic, but in different languages
- To request a specific interwiki link for your community, please visit this page
- Dive deeper with the meta wiki help page on this topic